Kansas State 75 Kentucky 69 (NCAA Tournament)

16thBBall Fan

16 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I take responsibility for this. I said in the other thread UK usually wins and loses based off how Reeves shoots. When he has an off day we usually struggle and unfortunately that is what happened.

Let's not overthink this. @futurecoach is the reason UK is done for the season. You just had to speak it into existence, didn't you?

19 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Incredible how many better coaches there are than Cal in just this thread! Maybe Mitch should have been researching the seats at Rupp for UK's next coach last week. 

This! 

The worst part is even some of us that defend Cal know there are things he has to do better, and I think we all could admit that maybe it could be almost time for a change. As it may be best for both parties to possibly go in seperate ways if things don’t change after next season. 

However, some people on here are so over the top with their non stop criticism of Cal and acting like he knows nothing about coaching is just crazy. If UK wins its only because of the players, if UK loses its only because of Cal. 

So some of us do defend Cal from some of the crazy comments that are said on here about him, and that makes them think we are happy about the current state of things. I know I’m not happy with how things currently are, and definitely would be for having a rational conversation on things with Cal. However, the non stop acting like he knows nothing about how to coach is just ridiculous by some. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Bottom line is this, the state of basketball in Ky right now isn’t very good and the person that put us here is Calapari, just plain ole facts and those that say different are really out of touch with reality.

I'm not sure anyone would disagree with this. Especially the last two years (three if you count the weird COVID season, which I do not) the program is obviously not at the level UK fans expect. However, the incessant gnashing for every little detail of a game and the program sets a standard that is so unrealistic, it is hard to have a serious dialogue. A guy double dribbles. "Why aren't you teaching the fundamentals Cal!?!?" A player makes a bone-headed pass. "Cal yet again. We can't win with this guy!" Calipari draws up a great game plan. "Good job by the players" (or crickets).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Incredible how many better coaches there are than Cal in just this thread! Maybe Mitch should have been researching the seats at Rupp for UK's next coach last week. 

He was, he spoke with me.  I had to decline, just not enough pay.LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bugatti said:

I'm not sure anyone would disagree with this. Especially the last two years (three if you count the weird COVID season, which I do not) the program is obviously not at the level UK fans expect. However, the incessant gnashing for every little detail of a game and the program sets a standard that is so unrealistic, it is hard to have a serious dialogue. A guy double dribbles. "Why aren't you teaching the fundamentals Cal!?!?" A player makes a bone-headed pass. "Cal yet again. We can't win with this guy!" Calipari draws up a great game plan. "Good job by the players" (or crickets).

Once people sour on a coach, he can do nothing right.  They will never give him credit when he does something good, but they'll swarm him like flies on doodoo when anything goes wrong.  And there are repeated, nonsensical mantras.  It used to be that Tubby and BCG don't press and now it's that Cal doesn't zone.  Go figure.

I admit that my own support for Cal has waned to the point that I don't care if he leaves in the offseason or not.  It used to be a fear every late spring/early summer.  Not anymore.  The program has experienced significant regression in the last three seasons.  Of course, I find it interesting that people who were crying for more experienced, multi-year players are now the ones taking a huge dump on Cal for bringing in those types of players.  Again, flies on doodoo.

The lone hope I have remaining in Cal is next year's recruiting class.  He's got some legitimate studs for the first time in a long time.  Three of the top four incoming freshmen are headed to Lexington, plus a Top 10-ish guy in Dillingham and a multi-year, in-state, talented kid in Sheppard.  It will be the most excited I've been for UK basketball in a handful of seasons for sure.  We'll see what Cal can do with it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bugatti said:

2 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Once people sour on a coach, he can do nothing right.  They will never give him credit when he does something good, but they'll swarm him like flies on doodoo when anything goes wrong.  And there are repeated, nonsensical mantras.  It used to be that Tubby and BCG don't press and now it's that Cal doesn't zone.  Go figure.

I admit that my own support for Cal has waned to the point that I don't care if he leaves in the offseason or not.  It used to be a fear every late spring/early summer.  Not anymore.  The program has experienced significant regression in the last three seasons.  Of course, I find it interesting that people who were crying for more experienced, multi-year players are now the ones taking a huge dump on Cal for bringing in those types of players.  Again, flies on doodoo.

The lone hope I have remaining in Cal is next year's recruiting class.  He's got some legitimate studs for the first time in a long time.  Three of the top four incoming freshmen are headed to Lexington, plus a Top 10-ish guy in Dillingham and a multi-year, in-state, talented kid in Sheppard.  It will be the most excited I've been for UK basketball in a handful of seasons for sure.  We'll see what Cal can do with it.

Agree with both of you all!

• Like 1

A interesting fact I came across: This marks the 4th time since the advent of the Sweet 16 that none of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or UNC were involved. The other years: 1976, 1979 and 2021.

I do think this will happen more often with the transfer portal and especially with the NIL.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

A interesting fact I came across: This marks the 4th time since the advent of the Sweet 16 that none of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or UNC were involved. The other years: 1976, 1979 and 2021.

I do think this will happen more often with the transfer portal and especially with the NIL.

'76 and '79 were before the big tournament expansion, for context.