Kansas State 75 Kentucky 69 (NCAA Tournament)

16thBBall Fan

5 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Ok, I’ll be specific, really nothing offensively he could’ve done, but when you allow the other team to have Oscar continually chasing their pt guard out around the 3 pt line by your defensive game plan you’re falling WWAAYY short in your job, do what you should’ve in that 1 area, keep everything else the same and you STILL win the game!!

So your answer is not having Oscar play their PG on pick and roll situations? 

What do you recommend he do when his player sets a pick for the PG? If he has Wallace fight over then he is on his hip. If he goes under he is in bad position for a step back (that he knocked down late). You don’t want him trapping obviously. So tell us Basketball Guru what does he do?

Oscar is a poor defender. That is what it is. It’s not Cal’s fault. He has had good pick and roll defenders that were less athletic than Oscar (Harrelson was a good pick and roll defender). 

You say fix it but give NOTHING in response in how to fix it besides don’t do it. 

• Like 2

Just now, 16thBBall Fan said:

Don’t remember Cal beating Pitino twice in the tournament at UK, what years were those??

2012 final four  and 2014 sweet 16. Which that 2014 year UL was the defending champs and basically had most of their team back. Yet UK even without WCS beat Pitino and UL that year. But yeah Cal had nothing to do with that run and getting that team to the finals. 

7 minutes ago, Matney said:

What do you recommend he do when his player sets a pick for the PG? If he has Wallace fight over then he is on his hip. If he goes under he is in bad position for a step back (that he knocked down late). You don’t want him trapping obviously. So tell us Basketball Guru what does he do?

Oscar is a poor defender. That is what it is. It’s not Cal’s fault. He has had good pick and roll defenders that were less athletic than Oscar (Harrelson was a good pick and roll defender). 

You say fix it but give NOTHING in response in how to fix it besides don’t do it. 

Saying Oscar is a poor defender is being generous. As I’ve said, he’s the worst greatest player of all time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Offensively I agree with you, really nothing more he could’ve done, his game plan defensively was absolutely pathetic!!

I personally don't think he had the tools to have a better game plan. We can scream, just play some zone until our throats hurt but that's never gonna happen under Cal. If that's why ya wanna can him, I can't argue. I will take everything else he brings to the program vs refusing to play zone.

Just now, Matney said:

You must not read here much GURU, I’ve said several times on here that Cal needs to hard hedge ballscreens, fight over and get back, if you go back and watch the games when we started rolling that’s EXACTLY how they were defending them, WHY he went away from that is baffling!

7 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

2012 final four  and 2014 sweet 16. Which that 2014 year UL was the defending champs and basically had most of their team back. Yet UK even without WCS beat Pitino and UL that year. But yeah Cal had nothing to do with that run and getting that team to the finals. 

Oh, ok, I thought you meant when Pitino was at UK, that never happened.

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Saying Oscar is a poor defender is being generous. As I’ve said, he’s the worst greatest player of all time.

Love Oscar. Love his interviews. Love his smile. Love his tenacity. Very glad he had the chance to fall in love with bball again at Kentucky but man that is so damn true.

• Like 2

I will also give you an example from yesterday in the Duke/Tennessee game I think most Kentucky fans on here would honestly say that Duke had more talent than Kentucky did they will have probably two lottery picks. They were getting killed by Tennessee playing man to man and the refs were not calling hardly anything so a good part of the 2nd half they went to a 2-3 zone and were aware where Vescovi was, but Nkamhoua who averaged less than 1 made 3 a game during the season and only shooting less than 2 a game hit 3 of 4 in the 2nd half and Duke was only 6/27 from 3. The point they adjusted during the game by going to the 2-3 and got back in the game but down the stretch the Vols especially Nkamhoua hit big 3's and Duke did not.

25 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I personally don't think he had the tools to have a better game plan. We can scream, just play some zone until our throats hurt but that's never gonna happen under Cal. If that's why ya wanna can him, I can't argue. I will take everything else he brings to the program vs refusing to play zone.

I agree offensively, not much he could’ve done, not mixing in some zone is just his arrogance and part of his recruiting pitch I’m sure, his ballscreen defense is horrible, when we were rolling he was hard hedging and fighting over, I firmly believe if he’d done that today they win.

Edited by theguru
  • Like 1