Jeffersontown 55 Desales 54 (6th Region Championship)

• theguru changed the title to Jeffersontown 55 Desales 54 (6th Region Championship)
2 hours ago, LLS10 said:

J-Town with 2 straight turnovers in the final minute. J-Town with a reverse layup with 8 seconds left. Cru Gibson misses shot at the buzzer!

You mean DeSales with 2 straight turnovers?

• Like 1

Credit to J-Town for capitalizing on DeSales mistakes & fighting for all they were worth to get the win.  In my opinion, several things hurt DeSales in this game & in several other games this year. The biggest flaw in their game was free-throw shooting. That plus poor defense against the 3 & ill advised passes which led to unforced turnovers killed them in this game and several other games this season.  I can't for the life of me understand why so many basketball players at all levels are content to be such poor free-throw shooters.  Even some college & pro players have this unnecessary deficiency in their game.  Free-throw shooting is a repetitive motion skill.  It's like serving in tennis, or putting in golf, or shooting penalty kicks in soccer. If you study proper technique, have someone point out your flawed motions (film even), and then practice until you master the proper technique, your performance will improve greatly.  I think kids spend way too much time trying to dunk, and neglect to practice good free-throw shooting technique, and coaches let them get away with poor habits.  When I was coaching tennis, I would show players the proper motion of the serve. Their answer was "I can't do it that way."  And sure enough they couldn't serve very well.  DeSales as a team averaged about 50% from the line all year long. Only a few players used proper technique consistently.  If they hope to get to Rupp someday, they had better learn how to shoot properly & then Practice!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coachb110 said:

Credit to J-Town for capitalizing on DeSales mistakes & fighting for all they were worth to get the win.  In my opinion, several things hurt DeSales in this game & in several other games this year. The biggest flaw in their game was free-throw shooting. That plus poor defense against the 3 & ill advised passes which led to unforced turnovers killed them in this game and several other games this season.  I can't for the life of me understand why so many basketball players at all levels are content to be such poor free-throw shooters.  Even some college & pro players have this unnecessary deficiency in their game.  Free-throw shooting is a repetitive motion skill.  It's like serving in tennis, or putting in golf, or shooting penalty kicks in soccer. If you study proper technique, have someone point out your flawed motions (film even), and then practice until you master the proper technique, your performance will improve greatly.  I think kids spend way too much time trying to dunk, and neglect to practice good free-throw shooting technique, and coaches let them get away with poor habits.  When I was coaching tennis, I would show players the proper motion of the serve. Their answer was "I can't do it that way."  And sure enough they couldn't serve very well.  DeSales as a team averaged about 50% from the line all year long. Only a few players used proper technique consistently.  If they hope to get to Rupp someday, they had better learn how to shoot properly & then Practice!! 

Well put, coach. Thanks.

8 hours ago, coachb110 said:

All of this makes sense - and yet, apparently DeSales was up 55-48 with 85 seconds to go. It’s hard to lose in that situation! I know they had the two turnovers, per the above, but I’d like to see that last minute and a half.  DeSales people have to be sick……

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

This is one of the more impressive runs in the state, correct?  Didn't Jtown have their best player transfer in the summer to Trinity?  

Yes. Drae Vasser transferred to Trinity which makes this run even more impressive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojocat said:

All of this makes sense - and yet, apparently DeSales was up 55-48 with 85 seconds to go. It’s hard to lose in that situation! I know they had the two turnovers, per the above, but I’d like to see that last minute and a half.  DeSales people have to be sick……

Yes DeSales people are sick! It was one of those things where you can see it coming but can't seem to avoid it.  Possible explanation: there were actually 3 turnovers from the 1:20 mark & J-Town capitalized on all of them. Plus, DeSales Will Gibson had turned an ankle after being fouled earlier, and returned after being taped up at around the 1:20 mark. His pain hampered him and he was not able to pull down a couple of crucial defensive rebounds that he normally would have gotten.  Tough break! We couldn't buy a D-rebound when we really needed it.  You can see a replay on YouTube at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VenUkRH-7gU 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 10:25 AM, coachb110 said:

Yes DeSales people are sick! It was one of those things where you can see it coming but can't seem to avoid it.  Possible explanation: there were actually 3 turnovers from the 1:20 mark & J-Town capitalized on all of them. Plus, DeSales Will Gibson had turned an ankle after being fouled earlier, and returned after being taped up at around the 1:20 mark. His pain hampered him and he was not able to pull down a couple of crucial defensive rebounds that he normally would have gotten.  Tough break! We couldn't buy a D-rebound when we really needed it.  You can see a replay on YouTube at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VenUkRH-7gU 

Thanks for the link, coach.  I watched the last 5 minutes.  DeSales is up 54-48 with 68 seconds left, and really from that point just about everything that had to happen for them to lose happened.   Your two best ball handlers turn the ball over on successive possessions, and then on the third possessions the two bigs miscommunicate for another turnover.  And J-town makes good on those opportunities - a three, a layup and another layup.  On that last J-town possession, they got 3 shots, all right at the rim. So turnovers and not getting a rebound doomed DeSales. They got a good look at the end, just didn’t go down.  Maybe I’d like to see a ball fake and then go into the defender there, rather than a slight fadeaway, to try to get a foul.  But that’s risky, a lot of officials will absolutely swallow the whistle there.  Just an unfortunate ending……

• Like 1