Most embarrassing losses in college football history?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

The 65-7 dismantling of TCU by Georgia in the National Championship game sure seems like it's got to be up there. Honestly, it's pretty embarrassing for all of Big 12 football all together.

What are some of the other "most embarrassing losses" you can think of? #5 Michigan's 34-32 loss at home to an unranked Appalachian State team in 2007 comes to mind for me. What others can you think of?

Appalachian State beating Michigan in 2007 would be #1 for me.

Florida beating Florida State 52-20 in 1997.  Simply for the rivalry that it was.

South Central Louisiana State upsetting Louisiana 30-27 in the 1998 Bourbon Bowl.  Especially after the Cougars led the Mud Dogs 27-0 at the half. 

And like G, tonight has to be up there too.  I'm not surprised Georgia won by blowout, but 65-7 is 65-7.

• Haha 1

As far as championships go, Miami’s last championship beat down over Nebraska was bad. Total points scored wasn’t as bad as this but I remember Miami led more than 30-0 at halftime. But in all fairness, that Hurricanes team was basically an NFL team on both sides of the ball and arguably the best college football team of all time. Want to say it was 2001 or 2002.

9 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Appalachian State beating Michigan in 2007 would be #1 for me.

Florida beating Florida State 52-20 in 1997.  Simply for the rivalry that it was.

South Central Louisiana State upsetting Louisiana 30-27 in the 1998 Bourbon Bowl.  Especially after the Cougars led the Mud Dogs 27-0 at the half. 

And like G, tonight has to be up there too.  I'm not surprised Georgia won by blowout, but 65-7 is 65-7.

It was the last game of the year.  The Mud Dogs left everything on the field.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The 65-7 dismantling of TCU by Georgia in the National Championship game sure seems like it's got to be up there. Honestly, it's pretty embarrassing for all of Big 12 football all together.

What are some of the other "most embarrassing losses" you can think of? #5 Michigan's 34-32 loss at home to an unranked Appalachian State team in 2007 comes to mind for me. What others can you think of?

Top teams going down to unranked opponents happens. Appalachian State was still 1-AA, that is why that one was such an embarrassment.

And to buffer the Big-12 point. Their top teams were Kansas State and TCU. We saw what happened to TCU last night, but Kansas State got manhandled by Alabama by 25. I suppose those two programs are to be the torch bearers for the new Big 12?

Sure last night was extremely one-sided, but if you asked 1,000 college football fans what the more likely outcome would be, a TCU win or a UGA blowout, the overwhelming majority are saying the UGA blowout. 

Deep down, I don't think many outside of Fort Worth gave TCU any real shot. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Sure last night was extremely one-sided, but if you asked 1,000 college football fans what the more likely outcome would be, a TCU win or a UGA blowout, the overwhelming majority are saying the UGA blowout. 

Deep down, I don't think many outside of Fort Worth gave TCU any real shot. 

I agree with this.  But a blowout in this instance, at least to me, is something like 38-7 or 42-10.  

65-7 is a first game of the year score when Alabama or Ohio State beats Poop U.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:09 PM, Runcible Owl said:

1921 "C6H0" 

Centre College 6

Harvard University 0

Centre-beats-Harvart-2.jpg

Centre also put a 56 point beating of TCU on the books in 1920.

With a Bump Tanner, a Bo McMillan and a Buck Jones on the roster I would expect nothing short of a beatdown.  😉

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:34 AM, REALSPORT said:

With a Bump Tanner, a Bo McMillan and a Buck Jones on the roster I would expect nothing short of a beatdown.  😉

Let's not forget about George Jones! I believe his nickname on that team was White Lightning because of his speed and drinking abilities. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

1995.  Nebraska 62 Undefeated Florida 24.  It wasn't that close.  Gators led at the very outset and by halftime it was all Huskers.  

Never saw a Gator defense so manhandled as that one by the UN offensive Line.  National Title game and the difference between 1 & 2 was a gap of light years.  

• Like 2