Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Expanding the Basketball State Tournament

Featured Replies

Just a thought.  Kentucky has had the Sweet 16 for ever it seems.  So my question is, what if the runner up in the region was able to attend it. Like I stated just a thought. But curious as to other opinions.  

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • 10thRegionballislife
    10thRegionballislife

    I like how it is now, regional championship would have no value.

  • If any change was to occur I think it would hinge on a move to classification. I see no need to change it. If anything I would vote to not have district runner-up go to regional. Four team regional.

  • We do not need more participation trophies. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KillerCats09 said:

Just a thought.  Kentucky has had the Sweet 16 for ever it seems.  So my question is, what if the runner up in the region was able to attend it. Like I stated just a thought. But curious as to other opinions.  

I like how it is now, regional championship would have no value.

If any change was to occur I think it would hinge on a move to classification. I see no need to change it. If anything I would vote to not have district runner-up go to regional. Four team regional.

Everyone can't get a Trophy! Why mess with something that is great to please a few! Just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, 9068 said:

If any change was to occur I think it would hinge on a move to classification. I see no need to change it. If anything I would vote to not have district runner-up go to regional. Four team regional.

Same. Make winning mean something. 

  • Author
3 minutes ago, melman7080 said:

Everyone can't get a Trophy! Why mess with something that is great to please a few! Just my opinion.

Yeah I understand that and agree 100%.  Was just thinking how the Region is setup and the possibility of a runner up reaching the top.   But overall I agree I like it how it is now.  

  • Author
21 minutes ago, 9068 said:

If any change was to occur I think it would hinge on a move to classification. I see no need to change it. If anything I would vote to not have district runner-up go to regional. Four team regional.

Agree 100% - this is an area within the football playoffs that needs to be addressed.  But as far as basketball; I like the Sweet 16.  I was merely curious as to others thoughts about it and overall it looks like we all agree.  

We do not need more participation trophies. 

No thank you, and you want crazy, take a look on social media and see what the golf contingent wants - more schools postseason, seeding, adding a sectional/semi-state  ... yeesh.

I don't see a benefit in expanding the state tournament. I think if any major structural issues exist in Kentucky high school basketball, they are shared across the board with a lot of sports and that is the current regional and district setup. I think we are long overdue for a wide spread overhaul at how the districts and regions are shaped and I know this is something currently being discussed in another thread specific to the 8th region (and gets brought up in some form every year about this time). 

 

As for post-season specific reforms, I think it would be interesting to discuss eliminating the district tournaments and expanding the regional tournament. Like take the top 4 teams from each district (in a world where have eliminated the silly 3 team districts), seed, then have a random draw. Makes the regular season mean a little more and, honestly, it gets rid of the near-meaningless district title games. 

I'm not in favor of expansion, but would be in favor of looking into a seeding of the Sweet 16 in some fashion.  Maybe something where the top 4 are seeded and the rest of the bracket gets a blind draw.  The metrics have their issues in football BUT we've gotten much better state title games since the KHSAA went to that system.

The issue with the state tournament in Basketball and other sports in KY, is that the districts and regions are so unbalanced in terms of talent. This means several good teams get left out, and several lesser quality teams get in. And as long as this structure is in place, we’ll never have all the best teams in. At a minimum, I’d be in favor of expanding the number of teams, along with seeding. 

If anything I think we need classification, and have the final 4 of each class played at Rupp.

5 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Same. Make winning mean something. 

Anyone know if a district runner up team has ever won state?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.