March 2, 2012 Tornado Outbreak

nWo

On the morning of March 2, 2012 low pressure was centered over southern Missouri with a warm front reaching east into the Ohio Valley.  Showers and thunderstorms were scattered along the warm front, and produced hail to the size of nickels between 8am and 10:30am.

By late morning the low had deepened and moved on to central Illinois.  It had lifted the warm front out of our area, bringing an end to the morning thunderstorms.  It also put southern Indiana and central Kentucky in the "warm sector" of the storm, meaning that we were positioned south of the warm front but east of the storm system's cold front, which at lunch time stretched from the low in central Illinois southward through Arkansas to Texas. 

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/march22012tornadooutbreak

• Like 1

Crazy it's been 10 years. 

I remember that day very well. I had been watching the forecasts for several days prior, and that morning I just had a weird feeling about the day. I was managing a warehouse in the River Port area of Louisville at the time. I convinced by boss that we should try to finish up early that day and send people home as soon as we could. 

Fortunately, Louisville was spared. But knowing what was going on just a few miles north was pretty unnerving. 

• Like 1