Highlands - 2022 Schedule

14 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

I’ve been told he keeps majority, if not all of the money raised for the camp to boost his salary. 

I really hope that’s not true. 

I also saw his name on a 7 on 7 Middle School tournament, where he also reaps the benefits financially. 

That doesn’t sit well with me 

This is false across the board. There is no 7 on 7 this year anyway. 

5 hours ago, brooksville said:

I personally am not a fan of the coach's name being on Youth Football Camp title.  It sounds conceited and like the "Sphire" name is bigger than the "Highlands" name. 

$150 for 6 hours does seem a bit expensive.  But a youth summer camp is a major fundraiser for most schools. 

I would venture to say the “school” sees very little of this camp.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, throwback32 said:

I would venture to say the “school” sees very little of this camp.

If you’re inferring that Bob Sphire will profit personally off this camp then that is sad.  The head coach should be running this camp to help build a culture and develop the athletes in the Highlands football program, not for a personal payday.  The school already pays his salary, and running a camp should be expected under the duties of head coach.

Furthermore, one cannot personally profit from the use of school facilities unless they get it approved by the Board of Education, and this usually includes the school being paid a rental fee.

• Like 2

Not to butt into the bird business.  But many staffs run these types of camps to help offset the cost of coaching clinics, travel and other expenses not covered by their salary.  150 does seem high to me, but I have no issue with these coaches supplementing given that most of them are underpaid as it is.  Really good and supportive booster organizations are few and far between.  School budgets are squeezed.  If these camps pay for supplies, HUDL accounts, coaching clinics and the like then more power to them. 

• Like 3

Aug 20th can't get here soon enough!  

I mean seriously we gripe about not having the coach we need, then we get the coach we need and then we gripe how he is financially is getting paid.  We gripe about maybe not having a camp, then we have a camp and we gripe about the name of the camp, then we gripe about the cost of the camp.  Then we gripe where those funds might be headed.

This is getting a little absurd for this Bird Fanatic!!!

Enough already!  Enjoy the camp if you want to go, or enjoy a nice summer vacation!!!!

GO BIRDS!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GoBirds4 said:

This is false across the board. There is no 7 on 7 this year anyway. 

image.thumb.png.8de7de27fafacf82e2ea52291727300b.png

Not sure what’s false across the board. Maybe there isn’t one this year but I know for a fact, from someone within the athletic department, that he puts his name on all of these camps because he receives ALL of the profits. 

That’s shameful but Highlands sold their soul for this.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

not sure what’s false across the board. Maybe there isn’t one this year but I know for a fact, from someone within the athletic department, that he puts his name on all of these camps because he receives ALL of the profits. 

That’s shameful but Highlands sold their soul for this 

He doesn’t receive anything close to all of the profit and he puts money back into the team as well as paying his entire staff for helping. 

47 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

not sure what’s false across the board. Maybe there isn’t one this year but I know for a fact, from someone within the athletic department, that he puts his name on all of these camps because he receives ALL of the profits. 

That’s shameful but Highlands sold their soul for this 

I wouldn't say they sold their soul. He wasn't even their first choice. 

14 hours ago, brooksville said:

If you’re inferring that Bob Sphire will profit personally off this camp then that is sad.  The head coach should be running this camp to help build a culture and develop the athletes in the Highlands football program, not for a personal payday.  The school already pays his salary, and running a camp should be expected under the duties of head coach.

Furthermore, one cannot personally profit from the use of school facilities unless they get it approved by the Board of Education, and this usually includes the school being paid a rental fee.

Agree 100% with all of this!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

People complaining about a coach making money from a camp is a joke. You must not realize how many hours a coach spends getting ready for a football season and preparing things during the season. Glad the coach is having a camp.

And he is already being paid $16,000 for doing those things as head coach.  

• Haha 1