Bengals 34 Chiefs 31

On 1/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, oldgrappler said:

While I don't want to get entwined in a lengthy back and forth with @futurecoach, the call at the end of the game to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG was not the right call.  Take the "sure" points, you go ahead and force KC to score in 50 seconds.  It is pretty difficult to get a TD in 50 seconds.  They may get in FG range.  But they have to make the kick.  So worst case scenario, you go into overtime.  Likely scenario, you win the game with a FG.  

Zach Taylor chose not to kick the FG and the attempt to score a TD on 4th down actually failed, twice.  And they still got another play!  Penalties gave the Bengals life when they could have just as easily have turned the ball over on downs.  In addition, KC says the officials missed a flinch by the Cinci guard on third down.  That would have moved the ball back to the 6 yard line.  HC Zach Taylor is very fortunate that offsetting penalties were called and he got a do-over.  What are the chances of that?  Exceedingly slim.  Had he not got the benefit from the ref, the game goes to overtime.  The outcome was fortuitous.  It had very little to do with Taylor making the right call.  The best way to win was to kick the FG.  Which is what happened, btw.  Taylor was lucky, not smart.  

A lot should go into a decision like that.  I think Zac knew his kicker was hurting and a short kickoff (after a FG) would be likely.  Yes, KC would have to make the kick, but the Bengals had to make the kick too, with a kicker nursing a groin issue.  If you don't score on 4th down you are still forcing KC to then go 65 yards from the 1 to get within FG range versus the 25-30 yards needed after a kickoff.

All that being said... I may have gone for it once, but after that I would have kicked the FG.  

22 hours ago, REALSPORT said:

A lot should go into a decision like that.  I think Zac knew his kicker was hurting and a short kickoff (after a FG) would be likely.  Yes, KC would have to make the kick, but the Bengals had to make the kick too, with a kicker nursing a groin issue.  If you don't score on 4th down you are still forcing KC to then go 65 yards from the 1 to get within FG range versus the 25-30 yards needed after a kickoff.

All that being said... I may have gone for it once, but after that I would have kicked the FG.  

Do you mean, you would have "gone for it once" on 4th down?