BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 1 Review and Rankings

BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 1 Review and Rankings:

Well, we’ve got Week 1 of the new high school hoops season in the can, and while yearly the first week typically sorta limps into action with teams, and their players learning their roles, we’ve already seen some teams hitting the ground running with some dynamite action. 

While we’ve learned a few things already, there’s still a lot to learn. As the season progresses we will know more, but ranking the Top 10 isn’t too easy at this juncture. Sure, we can be fairly sure of who’s no doubt the strongest teams in the region, but it’s the middle ground that tends to get a bit muddy. Have mercy on me for at this point much of it simply a guessing game. 

1. Covington Catholic (2-0)

The number 1 team in the 9th Region is one that I think everyone can agree on. The Colonels come into the season ranked No. 2 in the state. They made a statement right out of the gate with a 19 point win over arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the region (depending on who you talk to), with their 79-60 win over Dixie Heights. Miami of Ohio commit Mitchell Rylee wasted no time establishing himself as THE MAN, netting 34 points in this contest along with numerous dunks in the game. They followed this game up the next day with a victory over Paul Laurence Dunbar 67-60.

This coming week sees the Colonels in a home game against St. Henry on Dec. 7, then LaSalle(OH) at home on Dec 10, then an away game on Dec. 11 at Cathedral(Indianapolis). 

1. Dixie Heights (1-1)

The Red Colonels of Dixie Heights has a core group of experienced players who saw much playing time last season, only losing a couple of seniors to graduation. They began the season with a nice win over Eastern 66-59, then they took one on the chin against state ranked No. 2 CovCath, but held their own pretty much the whole first half. 6’6 Billy Wogenstahl connected on 12 first quarter points, but also got into early foul trouble having him spend too much time sitting. Senior Keirnan Geraci carried much of the load finishing with 27 points. 

This coming week Dixie has a home game with Campbell Co. on Dec 7, and then they travel to Holmes on Dec 10. 

1. Highlands (1-2)

The defending state champs didn’t waste any time getting their heart rate going with their crazy back and forth high scoring affair with the Bearcats of Walton Verona in their first game of the season that could’ve gone either way, but ultimately Walton prevailed 97-94. Walton is no joke with their superb talent (but that’s another story). The Birds followed up that loss with an impressive overtime win over Cane Ridge(Nashville, TN) 86-79. Cane Ridge are ranked by MaxPreps at #29 and feature Alabama recruit Brandon Miller who is the #10 player in the country. They then lost to McCracken Co. 63-57, a team they beat in the Sweet 16 last season. Zac Barth is proving to be the leader of these Birds, and Will Herald hasn’t lost his touch shooting the 3. While it’s hard to replace all of the offensive output of Sam Vinson, and Luke Muller, these Birds are still a force to be reckoned with. 

The Birds play Scott at home on Dec. 7, travel to St. Henry on Dec. 9, then play DeSales on Dec. 11. 

1. Holy Cross (1-0)

The Indians so far have only played one game, but they impressively beat a very good Hamilton(OH) team. Western Kentucky commit Jacob Meyer got his 30+ is this affair with no one else in double figures. I expect to see this change in coming games as their players learn their roles. 

Holy Cross play Dec. 9-11 in the Toyota Classic at Scott County/Great Crossing with their first contest against Frederick Douglas. 

1. Conner (2-0) 

The Conner Cougars have had a nice start to their season first beating Scott 67-46, then in a barn burner of a game beat the St. Henry Crusaders on a last second shot by Landen Hamilton, 59-56. I tell ya that kid is a winner. If that’s the way he’s gonna start the season, then we’re sure to see a lot more amazing feats from him as the season progresses. 

Conner travels to Cooper on Dec. 7, then at home against Boone Co. on Dec. 10, then away at Newport on Dec. 11. 

1. St. Henry (1-1) 

While the Crusaders lost 11 seniors to graduation, they still had players in the pipe just waiting for their chance to show their worth. They started the season with a 54-50 win over Cooper, then lost on a last second shot, 59-56 to No. 5 Conner. Camden Fedders is proving to be their high scorer. 

The Crusaders have their hands full with an away game with CovCath on Dec. 7, and then on Dec. 11 they play in the John Turner Classic at Newport against Fayetteville-Perry(OH). 

1. Cooper (2-1) 

Cooper is looking like a better team this season after a down year last season. After a close loss to St. Henry in their first game, 54-50, they beat Boone Co. 72-37, then Campbell Co. 64-49. 

The Jaguars play Conner at home on Dec. 7, then Walton Verona at home on Dec. 9. 

1. Ryle (2-1)

The Ryle Raiders started their season with a loss to Simon Kenton 79-64, then beat Harrison Co. 78-69, and Pendleton Co. 78-46. I think we’ll get a better idea of how Ryle fits into the 33rd district when they face teams like Conner and Cooper. 

Ryle will face Carroll Co. at home Dec. 7, then again at home against Lloyd on Dec. 9, then at Robertson Co. on Dec. 10. 

1. Lloyd - (0-0)

The Juggernauts have yet to play a game, but word on the street is that they're going to be a hot team this season with their experienced as well as young up and coming talent. They have Hanover College commit senior Garrett Vogelpohl, sharp shooter Ryan Davis, a 6’7 top Freshman in the state, E.J. Walker, and round out their starting five with talented players Zaire Monroe and Jeremiah Israel. Once we see them in action we will know if they are deserving to move up in the ranks. 

The Juggs start their season Dec. 8 at Villa Madonna, at Ryle Dec. 9, then play Taylor(Cleves, OH) in the John Turner Classic at Newport on Dec. 11. 

1. Newport Central Catholic - (2-0) 

The Breds started their season with a 72-57 win over Dayton, then 57-54 win over Letcher Co. Central. NewCath have some nice pieces in sharp shooter Joel Iles, and his sophomore brother Jase, but it’s still to be seen just how strong they are this season. 

The Breds will face Campbell Co. on Dec. 11 at the John Turner Classic at Newport. 

1. Beechwood (0-1)

2. Holmes (1-1)

3. Newport (1-0)

4. Ludlow (2-0)

5. Boone Co. (1-1)

6. Villa Madonna (0-3)

7. Dayton (2-1)

8. Bellevue (1-1)

9. Heritage Academy (0-1)

10. Covington Latin (0-2)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B-Ball-fan said:

BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 1 Review and Rankings:

Well, we’ve got Week 1 of the new high school hoops season in the can, and while yearly the first week typically sorta limps into action with teams, and their players learning their roles, we’ve already seen some teams hitting the ground running with some dynamite action. 

While we’ve learned a few things already, there’s still a lot to learn. As the season progresses we will know more, but ranking the Top 10 isn’t too easy at this juncture. Sure, we can be fairly sure of who’s no doubt the strongest teams in the region, but it’s the middle ground that tends to get a bit muddy. Have mercy on me for at this point much of it simply a guessing game. 

1. Covington Catholic (2-0)

The number 1 team in the 9th Region is one that I think everyone can agree on. The Colonels come into the season ranked No. 2 in the state. They made a statement right out of the gate with a 19 point win over arguably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the region (depending on who you talk to), with their 79-60 win over Dixie Heights. Miami of Ohio commit Mitchell Rylee wasted no time establishing himself as THE MAN, netting 34 points in this contest along with numerous dunks in the game. They followed this game up the next day with a victory over Paul Laurence Dunbar 67-60.

This coming week sees the Colonels in a home game against St. Henry on Dec. 7, then LaSalle(OH) at home on Dec 10, then an away game on Dec. 11 at Cathedral(Indianapolis). 

1. Dixie Heights (1-1)

The Red Colonels of Dixie Heights has a core group of experienced players who saw much playing time last season, only losing a couple of seniors to graduation. They began the season with a nice win over Eastern 66-59, then they took one on the chin against state ranked No. 2 CovCath, but held their own pretty much the whole first half. 6’6 Billy Wogenstahl connected on 12 first quarter points, but also got into early foul trouble having him spend too much time sitting. Senior Keirnan Geraci carried much of the load finishing with 27 points. 

This coming week Dixie has a home game with Campbell Co. on Dec 7, and then they travel to Holmes on Dec 10. 

1. Highlands (1-2)

The defending state champs didn’t waste any time getting their heart rate going with their crazy back and forth high scoring affair with the Bearcats of Walton Verona in their first game of the season that could’ve gone either way, but ultimately Walton prevailed 97-94. Walton is no joke with their superb talent (but that’s another story). The Birds followed up that loss with an impressive overtime win over Cane Ridge(Nashville, TN) 86-79. Cane Ridge are ranked by MaxPreps at #29 and feature Alabama recruit Brandon Miller who is the #10 player in the country. They then lost to McCracken Co. 63-57, a team they beat in the Sweet 16 last season. Zac Barth is proving to be the leader of these Birds, and Will Herald hasn’t lost his touch shooting the 3. While it’s hard to replace all of the offensive output of Sam Vinson, and Luke Muller, these Birds are still a force to be reckoned with. 

The Birds play Scott at home on Dec. 7, travel to St. Henry on Dec. 9, then play DeSales on Dec. 11. 

1. Holy Cross (1-0)

The Indians so far have only played one game, but they impressively beat a very good Hamilton(OH) team. Western Kentucky commit Jacob Meyer got his 30+ is this affair with no one else in double figures. I expect to see this change in coming games as their players learn their roles. 

Holy Cross play Dec. 9-11 in the Toyota Classic at Scott County/Great Crossing with their first contest against Frederick Douglas. 

1. Conner (2-0) 

The Conner Cougars have had a nice start to their season first beating Scott 67-46, then in a barn burner of a game beat the St. Henry Crusaders on a last second shot by Landen Hamilton, 59-56. I tell ya that kid is a winner. If that’s the way he’s gonna start the season, then we’re sure to see a lot more amazing feats from him as the season progresses. 

Conner travels to Cooper on Dec. 7, then at home against Boone Co. on Dec. 10, then away at Newport on Dec. 11. 

1. St. Henry (1-1) 

While the Crusaders lost 11 seniors to graduation, they still had players in the pipe just waiting for their chance to show their worth. They started the season with a 54-50 win over Cooper, then lost on a last second shot, 59-56 to No. 5 Conner. Camden Fedders is proving to be their high scorer. 

The Crusaders have their hands full with an away game with CovCath on Dec. 7, and then on Dec. 11 they play in the John Turner Classic at Newport against Fayetteville-Perry(OH). 

1. Cooper (2-1) 

Cooper is looking like a better team this season after a down year last season. After a close loss to St. Henry in their first game, 54-50, they beat Boone Co. 72-37, then Campbell Co. 64-49. 

The Jaguars play Conner at home on Dec. 7, then Walton Verona at home on Dec. 9. 

1. Ryle (2-1)

The Ryle Raiders started their season with a loss to Simon Kenton 79-64, then beat Harrison Co. 78-69, and Pendleton Co. 78-46. I think we’ll get a better idea of how Ryle fits into the 33rd district when they face teams like Conner and Cooper. 

Ryle will face Carroll Co. at home Dec. 7, then again at home against Lloyd on Dec. 9, then at Robertson Co. on Dec. 10. 

1. Lloyd - (0-0)

The Juggernauts have yet to play a game, but word on the street is that they're going to be a hot team this season with their experienced as well as young up and coming talent. They have Hanover College commit senior Garrett Vogelpohl, sharp shooter Ryan Davis, a 6’7 top Freshman in the state, E.J. Walker, and round out their starting five with talented players Zaire Monroe and Jeremiah Israel. Once we see them in action we will know if they are deserving to move up in the ranks. 

The Juggs start their season Dec. 8 at Villa Madonna, at Ryle Dec. 9, then play Taylor(Cleves, OH) in the John Turner Classic at Newport on Dec. 11. 

1. Newport Central Catholic - (2-0) 

The Breds started their season with a 72-57 win over Dayton, then 57-54 win over Letcher Co. Central. NewCath have some nice pieces in sharp shooter Joel Iles, and his sophomore brother Jase, but it’s still to be seen just how strong they are this season. 

The Breds will face Campbell Co. on Dec. 11 at the John Turner Classic at Newport. 

1. Beechwood (0-1)

2. Holmes (1-1)

3. Newport (1-0)

4. Ludlow (2-0)

5. Boone Co. (1-1)

6. Villa Madonna (0-3)

7. Dayton (2-1)

8. Bellevue (1-1)

9. Heritage Academy (0-1)

10. Covington Latin (0-2)

I'll concede for now that Cov Cath is in a league of their own.  

My question after them is how deep is the next tier?  Is it just Dixie & Highlands before a major drop off OR does that tier go down to your #6 St. Henry team before the drop off.

That's what made last years ride so much fun was that going into the 9th Region Tourney it could have easily gone to 6 legitimate teams.....has the group behind Cov Cath shrunk?

10 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I'll concede for now that Cov Cath is in a league of their own.  

My question after them is how deep is the next tier?  Is it just Dixie & Highlands before a major drop off OR does that tier go down to your #6 St. Henry team before the drop off.

That's what made last years ride so much fun was that going into the 9th Region Tourney it could have easily gone to 6 legitimate teams.....has the group behind Cov Cath shrunk?

I think that at this point it's kinda hard to say...

I see CovCath as tier 1, then I'd have Dixie and Highlands as tier 2, then a slight drop off with Holy Cross and Conner as tier 3, then tier 4 is where it gets really difficult to say with so many teams that could beat each other on any given night, and also be competitive with tier 3 teams.

The season will have to play out some for us to really get a better take on the strengths of a lot of the teams. I hate to jump too soon to the end of the season, but it feels pretty certain that this year goes to CovCath. 

Does Covington Latin still compete in a district or for regional play?   I know they did at one time, back in the late 1980's and maybe early 1990's.    I don't recall, recently, seeing them in district play or even for a spot in the All "A" tourney.

9 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Does Covington Latin still compete in a district or for regional play?   I know they did at one time, back in the late 1980's and maybe early 1990's.    I don't recall, recently, seeing them in district play or even for a spot in the All "A" tourney.

I can't say for certain, but about 7 or 8 years ago when they had the high scoring Mitchell Blewitt, they threw their hat back in the ring for a couple of seasons because with him they were sorta competitive. I think that once he graduated, they went back to staying away from district play. 

• Thanks 1

Great Week #1 write up B-Ball-fan well done.

I agree that Cov Cath, Highlands and Dixie should be the top 3 at least right now. I do think that they are all 3 beatable on any given night especially HHS and DHS as evident by their losses already. We have a long season that needs to play out and should be a fun season again in the 9th region. Good luck to all teams!

• Like 3