Covington Catholic 8 Highlands 7

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Correct. When the Birds lined up, there was a gap between left guard and center. Wilson ran right through that gap straight in for the block of the kick.

Again that falls on the coaches for not being prepared.  Should have taken the 5 yard penalty and made sure your team was ready for the field goal attempt.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Again that falls on the coaches for not being prepared.  Should have taken the 5 yard penalty and made sure your team was ready for the field goal attempt.  

The line was set well before the kick. Here is the link:

Go to 2:15 and you can watch the whole last play. IMO the line just lined up wrong and left an easy gap for Wilson right to the kicker.

I don't want to point fingers. Just saying what happened. However, I look at the 3rd down play and the kick and say there are a number of people that can say they made mistakes.

24 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I wish more schools would do this.   I understand places wanting to be "professional" about things, but school is a place to learn.  Why not do what Highlands does and let the kids try their hand at this.  There are bound to be a few that find it to be their passion.

For Cov Cath's varsity broadcasts, everything is done by students except the announcing.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 9068 said:

What a cheap shot that is.....to the players and the officials. Those guys attend training sessions, work lower level games, and give it their best shot. Trust me the money is secondary to the love of the game on the HS level.

Regardless they missed it.  He was looking right at the play and missed it.  No dig at an official.  The white hat missed it.  Could have dictated the game.  Hats off to the officials but he missed it plain as day. 

While there were many, many negatives for both teams and coaching staffs, I thought we showed a bunch of grit in the second half.  Much better as a fan to watch all that and come out a winner than a loser. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, YOUTH2019 said:

Regardless they missed it.  He was looking right at the play and missed it.  No dig at an official.  The white hat missed it.  Could have dictated the game.  Hats off to the officials but he missed it plain as day. 

I watched it on the video several times. It is hard to tell when he actually grabbed the ball. I would say his left knee probably was on the ground when he grabbed the ball but I can't see the ball so I can't say that with certainty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

This is two frames later, as King is more visibly pushing himself up off his knees to put the ball into the endzone.

image.thumb.png.5cb205ab8f2d97ba35bc3614753c3e4e.png

I can't see the ball, could the refs?  They can't assume which player has control  

• Like 2

Both offenses were vanilla; but the defenses came to play.  I reviewed the fg and yes the left guard was blown up.  However late in the snap count handcuffed the attempt.  I agree with others take penalty and reset kick.  Why was there confusion?  Same team all year, I think?  

#6 King, # 18 Surrey, #64 LaFrange and #69 Kissee were a group of senior defensive players that left it all on the field for their final home game.  I expect a rematch is coming.  Many on here sold the Birds short and thought this would be lopsided, guess again.  

• Like 1

Is Garrett Benke no longer on the team? I thought he was our best receiver and I haven’t seen him out there at all the last few games. To say Highlands did not respect our passing game is putting it mildly.