Mayfield at Caldwell County Predictions/Updates

DevilMayCare

Cardinals vs. Tigers  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

• Mayfield
    • Caldwell County

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2021 at 11:00 PM

download.thumb.jpeg.b3b72d0ff793c5e15ded814509500678.jpeg

The road to taking back the district leads the Cards to Princeton to face improving Tigers

Records: Mayfield (6-0), Caldwell County (4-2)

BGP Ranking: Mayfield (#3 in 2A), Caldwell County (#8 in 2A)

Series History: Mayfield leads 12-3, dating back to 1998

Table Setter: When was the last time Mayfield was unbeaten this deep into the season without making so much as a ripple in the waters of its class? The Cards are ranked #3 in 2A and average 40 points per outing, but this has been as quiet a 6-0 season as you'll ever see from one of Kentucky's bluebloods. That's mostly, if not entirely, due to the two teams ranked ahead of them. But there's nothing Mayfield can do about that. The Cards can only keep their heads down and take care of their business, week to week. That business leads them to Princeton this Friday to meet Caldwell County. 

The Tigers have had as much success against Mayfield in the last 12-13 years as any other contemporary school their size out west. They've got a few wins and a few near misses, such as last year's 21-20 decision that went in favor of the Cardinals.

Option number one for the Caldwell County offense has been running back Logan Smiley (114 rushing yards per game), while linemen Layton Drew Davis and Elijah Shaheen have anchored the defense with a combined 25 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. They sacked Mayfield quarterback Zane Cartwright three times last season.

Cartwright has progressed nicely this year, but #1 on any defense's to-do list when facing Mayfield, should be to contain running back Kylan Galbreath, who's averaging over a hundred yards a game rushing and leads the Cards in touchdowns with 12. He posted 143 yards in this game a year ago.

Early in the season Caldwell County had as many as 5 starters out.  They are now back and it shows, they have been a much better football team the past few weeks with those players back.  I think Mayfield wins but the Tigers appear to me to be a solid team now.  Cards by 21-28.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

Early in the season Caldwell County had as many as 5 starters out.  They are now back and it shows, they have been a much better football team the past few weeks with those players back.  I think Mayfield wins but the Tigers appear to me to be a solid team now.  Cards by 21-28.  

I did not know this. 5 starters for a 2A school is massive! When did these guys get back?

1 hour ago, Toothpick said:

That's a lot and helps explain losses to big schools like Hopkinsville and Christian County. Getting them back probably explains the win over a solid Union County club. I think Mayfield wins comfortably tonight but Caldwell appears to be rounding into better shape as the season progresses. A second round playoff matchup might be coming in November.