Bowling Green at Boyle County Predictions/Updates

Who Wins this game?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2021 at 11:00 PM

Purples head to Title Town for the first time ever!

The Purples will head just over 2 hours northwest to Danville (AKA Titletown) to battle the super-steady 4A Defending State Champion Boyle County Rebels.  Thanks to my man @WestDanville for preparing the Boyle County side of things in the post right after this one, while I focus on the Purples.

First things first: 

These 2 fine schools combine for 16 state championships and are regularly in the discussion for the State Championship picture for their respective classifications.  And this year is no different.  However, these squads have only met one time on the grid-iron amazingly and that was back at the 2007 Rafferty’s Bowl at WKU.  The Purples would end up winning that game 49-21, but after researching it a bit, it was a very close game into the early second half when 2 Boyle County turnovers produced quick points for BG and helped provide the final margin on the scoreboard.  Names like QB Trent Steelman, WR DL Moore, and RB Tavin Barksdale for BG and QB Perry with WRs Marshall and Crutchfield for the Rebels date this game.  I looked DEEP in the VAST BGPs vault of threads for the old thread on this game and found the following:

On Page 1738

Boyle vs Bowling Green - KY Football (High School) - Bluegrasspreps

Is the thread for the pregame stuff and on Page 1736

Boyle Co./Bowling Green updates - KY Football (High School) - Bluegrasspreps

Is the game Updates thread.  I want to send a shout out to my man @Hearsay for providing great updates now roughly 14 years ago!  Thank you!

Last Weeks Recap:  Bowling Green 38 – Hopkinsville 7

After a tight first quarter that saw mainly defense and a Pick 6 by BG JR LB Davis Fant, the Purples were able to open things up a bit in the second quarter when the Purples defense set the offense up with great field position and new FR QB Deuce Bailey seized on his new opportunity to lead the BG offense and threw his first varsity TD pass to RB Matrix Halcomb and then found a seem and dashed 34 yards to paydirt on the following series.  I think BG wore the Tigers down in the second half and produced the final score.  Outstanding games by many, but most so by JR WR/DB Bert Kibawa who showed why he certainly should be playing on Saturdays somewhere in a couple years.

After struggling to earn 39 points in 3 games, it felt like the plumber opened the pipe this game with basically BG doubling their point production for the season in one game!  Was it all perfect; not in the least, but what I like most is BGs continual effort this season to address what isn’t working for the betterment of this team.  I am hopeful that will continue as a few more tweaks could pay dividends as well.  But great job!

This Weeks Outlook:

Bowling Green got the most important personnel change they needed to compete at their highest level.  A move that will pay off not only now but for 3 years (hopefully) after this season!  Now comes a stretch of games that will really tell everyone where the Purples stand at the moment.  Boyle County is a team that does not beat themselves – you have to beat them.  The Purples should be coming into this game feeling good about leaving the offensive struggles of the first 3 games behind and taking last week’s gains forward into the teeth of their schedule with Boyle County, Father Ryan (TN) and South Warren in consecutive weeks. 

The 2021 version of the Purples begins and ends with its defense.  They have been rock solid all year, as expected.  I anticipate that to be consistent this week as well, but with a notable step up in competition. Most notably Boyle County QB Jagger Gillis is a deserving Mr. Football candidate and a 5th year Senior (for lack of a better phrase) and his presence over the BC offense provides an unyielding confidence that will be a real challenge for the Purples defense.

I don’t know as much about the Boyle County defense other than they are well coached and struggled against a completely new LCA offense in Week 2 and rebounded very well against a good Pulaski County team in Week 3 and Week 4 at Henderson County.  The revamped BG offense should pose BC problems from the standpoint of now you have a mobile QB that also has the ability to throw the ball.  That’s difficult at any level.  However, Deuce Bailey is a freshman and there are sure to be some growing pains as he now looks to strengthen his comfort level over the BG offense going forward.  

I’ve been looking forward to this game ever since the schedule came out, as I’ve always wanted to come to a Boyle County game!  Friday’s the night!!!  I’m thankful for both teams putting it together as IMO it will help both teams get ready for their tough district slates and into the playoffs.  Hoping for no injuries for either team!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit I'm a little surprised with the lack of responses in this thread.  While there are upwards of 25 plus they are mostly of logistics and field layout and jabbing PurplePride92 in good fun.

Purples head to Title Town for the first time ever! The Purples will head just over 2 hours northwest to Danville (AKA Titletown) to battle the super-steady 4A Defending State Champion Boyle Coun

Make sure and look us up when you guys get up this way.   We're always on the sideline doing the stats.  Have a safe trip up to TitleTown and look forward to a great game.  

Posted Images

The Boyle schedule release this summer raised some eyebrows with the obvious uptick in overall strength. The game that stood out above all others was reigning 5A state champion Bowling Green coming to town September 17. Guess what? That’s this Friday night! The Purples make their first trip to Rebel stadium to face a Boyle team at 3-1 fresh off of a 48-14 road win over 6A Henderson County. Bowling Green is also 3-1 fresh off of a 38-7 pasting of 4A Hopkinsville. Both squads are ranked in the top 10 in their respective classes, Boyle at #3 in 4A and Bowling Green #7 in 5A. 

Boyle this season has been a tale of the offense carrying the load while the defense catches up. Ironically outside of the LCA debacle the first string defense is only giving up one score per outing. Before this past Friday night I was going to say this matchup looks like it will play in to Boyle’s hands as the Purples have not scored more than 18 points in any game and averaging only 13 points per game and then came their 38 point outing against Hopkinsville so it looks like the Bowling Green offense might be finding their groove at the right time. 

Offensively Boyle has not been able to be stopped by anyone but themselves. Gillis to Lanter has been the name of the game for the majority of Boyle’s yardage. Cole Lanter had quite a game against Henderson finishing with 5 receptions for 141 yards and 3 scores. On the year that puts Lanter at 504 total yards and 9 TDs. This game is going pit strength against strength. Bowling Green hangs their hat on a very stingy defense. The Purples are allowing just 9.5 points per game. I am very confident in saying this will be the best defense Boyle will face all season. 

This has all the makings of a fantastic high school football game. Great teams, check. Great weather, check. Loyal fans, check. Packed house, better be! Let us know who think will come out victorious in this one. 

• Like 1

I am going to go ahead and get my logistics questions out of the way early this week:

1.  How will tickets be handled?  Online, at the gate, etc.

2.  What restaurants would you recommend?

3.  What about parking?

4.  What about the visitors stands?

That's all I can think of right now!  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

eI am going to go ahead and get my logistics questions out of the way early this week:

3.  What about parking?

4.  What about the visitors stands?That's all I can think of right now!  Thanks in advance!

1.  Online for the tickets. Will have to check on how to get them.

2.  Applebee's,  Cattleman's, O'Charley's, Cheddar's,  Bluegrass Pizza and Pub, Guadalajara Mexican, Cracker Barrel, Zaxby's, Chinatown, Plank on Main, The Still at AMBRAbev, Copper & Oak, Giovanni's, Summer Hokkaido, Buffalo Wings & Rings, Wendy's, Huddle House, McDonald's, Burger King, A&W, Los Rodeos, Taqueria Mi Pueblo#2, Fazonda's, DQ, Subway, Harvey's and maybe a few more.

3.  Parking is right by the school and should be no problem.

4.  It's not bad but not really a whole lot but more that some.  

That's about all that I can think of right now but I'm sure that I am leaving something out.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I am going to go ahead and get my logistics questions out of the way early this week:

3.  What about parking?

1. Tickets have been sold online so far this season. 
2. What kind of food are you wanting? There’s only a couple local joints here, mostly chain restaurants. 
3. PM me for a parking tip. 
4. Visitor stands aren’t too big. They are elevated so you can see the game though. 

• Thanks 1

What a turnaround for the BG offense after some changes were made in the last two weeks.

The Purples are coming off a great win in the opening night of the new stadium. Here are some brief thoughts on the game with Boyle County.

1. I suspect BG's defense will be tested some this week and Boyle County seems like a team that is able to throw it around. I think a good passing team is BG's biggest defensive weakness and would cause them problems. If Boyle can throw the ball around, it will cause BG a lot of trouble.

2.  The new QB has brought new light to the BG offense, but it is still limited. The offensive line is not great. They lack a lot of speed in the backfield, they don't have a lot at the wide receiver position and they lack a big tight end they have liked to use in the past. Against good defenses, BG will still have to earn every point they get. Bailey at QB definitely improves the offense there's no question.

3. From what I saw against Hopkinsville I think the Purples are trying to figure out the playcalling with Bailey in at QB. The first three games I had very little issue with the playcalling, but in the Hopkinsville game I had a lot of questions as to why they were calling certain plays and the number of certain plays. I think they've got to figure that out over time.

The overall: I was ready to pick Boyle County coming into this, but after looking at their schedule, I am not  impressed. So it has me rethinking my pick. I think it depends on if Boyle County can throw the ball successfully. If they are able to spread out their offense and pass it around, I think Boyle will have some  success. A good passing team can beat this BG defense. 

My pick is 21-17 BG. 

17 hours ago, Purple88 said:

3.  What about parking?

It looks like they use the same APP BG does for tickets. The Hometown Ticket App. Although tickets for the game have not been posted as of 7 am. 

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Purple88 said:

3.  What about parking?

I am going to start from bottom to top

Visitors stand is good, plenty on seating but come early to get great seats.

Plenty of parking as a middle school and elementary are in the same "campus" area.

No where to eat other than your typical Cheddars, El Rodeo Mex Food, Crackle Barrell etc etc.

Tix, I have no idea. Hope that helps and safe travel to BG suppoerters.    

• Thanks 1