Bowling Green at Boyle County Predictions/Updates

Purple88

Who Wins this game?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2021 at 11:00 PM

14 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I must admit I'm a little surprised with the lack of responses in this thread.  While there are upwards of 25 plus they are mostly of logistics and field layout and jabbing PurplePride92 in good fun.

These are 2 of the better teams in the state who haven't meet in roughly 14 years.  I personally think both can make a run at their respective state championships this year even though both have very strong challengers in front of them.  These are 2 of the better fan bases on this board and perhaps there is mutual respect for both, which I get and I am in that boat of completely respecting the Boyle County program.  I guess I just thought that one of the best games in the state this week would get down to more football talk with only 1 day to go until game time.

Enough of my pity-party and on to my keys to the game for both teams:

Boyle County -

1.  Jagger Gillis has been the best Boyle County player for awhile now.  He needs to be the best player on the field again for the Rebels.  He won't be nervous; he's been in multiple big games and done this before.

2.  The Boyle County defense must hurry the young BG FR QB up.  They don't have to sack him per se, just make him uncomfortable.

3.  While SR WR Cole Lanter will always be Option #1 for Gillis, I feel in this game someone else will need to step up for Boyle.  Who will that be?  RB Bodner, WR Kelly, someone else?

Bowling Green - 

1.  You can't let Jagger Gillis beat you by himself.  But he is going to try to.  Look at these eye-popping stats through 4 games this season and see why he should be near the top of the Mr. Football conversation:

Passing:  50 for 76 for 672 yards 8 TDs vs 1 INT.

Rushing: (#2 on the team) 34 attempts for 159 yards and 5 TDs

Tackles on DEFENSE: (#2 on the team) 28 tackles; 1 TFL and 1 Sack and 2 Fumble Recoveries

He is responsible for over half of Boyle County's TDs on the year!  Think about that!

WOW!  SUPER Impressive!  Purples must make the 5th Year Senior earn everything he gets including limiting his running lanes.  If BG can pressure Gillis that is big.  They don't have to sack him, but hurry him.  And in the 4th Quarter hope he is a bit winded.

2.  BG Offense must take what the BC defense gives them.  I anticipate Boyle will load the box and make the Freshman QB try to beat them.  Seems reasonable.  BG must put the young QB in a position to make plays.  He's capable, but his second game starting varsity ball at Boyle County, we'll see.  Get the ball to your better players in space and advantage BG.

3.  Super Hoptown WR Daisjaun Mercer was limited to 4 catches for 62 yards and 0 TDs.  BG needs to implement the same coverage schemes on Mr. Cole Lanter , who is another outstanding WR at Boyle County.

Other intangibles:

- Turnovers are a given.  They will be huge in this game.

- Kicking game is big for both teams as well.

- Boyle County through 4 games has less than 30 kids playing 3 games.  Conversely, BG has less than 40 playing 3 games.  Does that matter?  Maybe.

- Boyle County is very balanced on offense averaging 150 yards rushing and 142 yards passing.  BG allowed Hoptown 78 yards mostly in second string time late in the game.  Will Boyle County have more rushing success on Friday night?  Would be huge for Boyle if they did!

Looking forward to a great game and my first trip to Title Town!  Go Purples!

I'm really looking forward to this game but unlike several years in the past neither team is really rolling right now.  Also strangely enough they don't have a lot of common opponents the last few years.  Boyle has floated between 3A and 4A and haven't played a lot of Bowling Green area teams in the past. 

The only thing I know about BG is that a lot of the fan base has not been happy about who's playing certain positions.  I still think the game is won or lost in the trenches.  Boyle's Oline versus BG's Dline.  Boyle's run game isn't bad but Bodner is just a small back.  He rarely falls forward.  McDaniel last year had some big games with some long runs but it was the 4 or 5 yards he got when the whole stadium knew they were running and had to have 3 that was the most impressive.  I think we lack that this year.  Dalton Stone is a bigger back and it not bad but he hasn't been used a lot in the run game.  Bodner is a good runner he's just small.  If Boyle bottle's up Moore and Bailey and force them to throw I think Boyle wins.  But that's easier said than done.  Boyle has to find another downfield threat other than Lanter. 

Good luck driving up and safe travels. 

• Like 2

Departure time from BG is in two hours. Looking forward to taking a game in at Boyle County. I have never been to the school before. I have been to Danville a few times. 

Really not sure what to expect, but I believe it will be close either way. If Boyle County can pass well they will win. For BG to win I think they've got to score 21 or 28 points. If it is a lower score game then BG has the advantage. 

I've seen several people on here say they thought it would be Boyle until they take a look at their schedule.  I really don't understand that statement.  

Boyle has played Tates Creek (1-3), LCA (4-0), Pulaski County (1-3, but only beaten by undefeated Corbin, undefeated Lex Cath, and Boyle), and Henderson Co. (2-1).  

Bowling Green has played Highlands (3-1), McCracken (0-4), PRP (1-2), and Hopkinsville(1-3).  

I don't see how Boyle's schedule so far as made people think they are below Bowling Green.  I think that this an even matched game and will be a dog fight.  Don't think Boyle's schedule makes them lower.  

• Like 1