BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings 9/6

TheDeuce

OHS will still be heavily favored in their district and a lock for a semi-final even without Wimsatt. Carbon, Goodwin, Hines and their Tackles will be the best players on the field each game they play until deep in the playoffs.

Edited by zoneblitz2
posted on wrong thread
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, theguru said:

I am thinking it could be Freddie D and then all the rest.  Plus, I wouldn't count Highlands in and CovCath out yet.

Exactly. It's going to take Highlands a couple of years to get everything back in place. They have some very strong classes coming up.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MBKT said:

3 team race this year. South Warren, FDHS and Highlands. 

Take away the name Highlands. What about their resume suggest that they are heads and shoulders above everyone else in 5A besides two other teams? Highlands still needs to show they can even win their district, or even get a home playoff game first. Before people can say they are head and shoulders above everyone else besides 3 teams. 

It’s definitely exciting seeing Highlands play well to start the year. However, at this moment 5A has a number of teams that realistically can make some noise this post season. The playoffs in 5A this year should be really fun. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like this week will be the toughest challenge for Graves County yet this season...even tougher than Mayfield.  This is a Friday night game, not Saturday and they'll be traveling 200+ miles to play it.  That is going to be tough.  It would be on anyone.  I think the run game will be tough sledding for Graves County this week and they'll have to rely on the pass.  If they win and that is definite a possibility, I would agree they're top 10 in 5A and probably around 6 or 7.  It's just setting up to be a trap game for them with coming off back-to-back big wins and then having to travel 200+ miles/3 hours after going to school all day to play a game.  Much respect to them if they can roll out of Mt. Washington with a win.  Will you be at the game?

I think this is a great opportunity for Graves to go on the road and play a very good football team.  The district they play in requires a lot of travel in general so this helps them prepare for some of those long road games.  In the 3 games so far Graves has started really fast putting up points quickly.  That will be key for them to do in this game.  It also allows for some people on the other side of the state to get a look at the athletes Graves has so they can get some consideration for some all state mentions.  Clint McKee is currently at 394 yards rushing, 7 TDs, and has close to 200 yards receiving out of the backfield.  Mason Grant at WR has 16 catches for 341 yards and 5 TDs, and is averaging around 21 yards per reception.  This is completely a trap game for Graves after the 3 games they just played but teams that are considered top 10 teams in their class needs to prove that they don't get trapped and are ready to play no matter what. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I wish I knew more about this Graves Co team. Is this interest based on their 1st three game results, or their potential? I am not familiar w them at all.

I would say a mixture of both, two quality winds over Paducah Tilghman and a McCracken County, plus the potential they have flashed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

Exactly. It's going to take Highlands a couple of years to get everything back in place. They have some very strong classes coming up.

It might not take as long as some think. I’m not sleeping on this squad, but they will be stacked next year. This group has some solid seniors, but the juniors and sophomores are killing it right now. And current freshmen are loaded. They’re about to go on a 2-3 year run Highlands fans haven’t seen since the Mueller era. 

• Like 4

Just now, TyroneBigsby said:

It might not take as long as some think. I’m not sleeping on this squad, but they will be stacked next year. This group has some solid seniors, but the juniors and sophomores are killing it right now. And current freshmen are loaded. They’re about to go on a 2-3 year run Highlands fans haven’t seen since the Mueller era. 

You are getting me excited Tyrone. 

8 hours ago, TyroneBigsby said:

That is my observation as well.  They have a handful of senior leaders that are driven work hard and lead and are very coachable.  This leads to juniors and sophomores that sees the day to day requirements and are even more talented which is a great scenario.  Football acumen leading to wealth of riches.  Folks I see the same thing happening.  1st year noice tomorrow’s dynasty.  Let’s build this...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TyroneBigsby said:

Most definitely they will have a decent year this year better then what they have had in the last couple years next 2 years they will be super scary they might go on a run and the run game will be better then this year when Cam Giesler can play. Defense I don’t think will miss to much of a beat linebackers will still be good like they are now secondary will still be decent they’ll get better I look for the sophomore Boler (#2) and Dunn (#26) to run that group.

11 hours ago, theguru said:

You are getting me excited Tyrone. 

As you should. Both 8th and 7th grade levels are Loaded as well. The 8th class has 56 players right now split between 2 teams. And both 8th grade teams compete nicely. The 7th grade class is not as Big numbers wise but have some incredible Athletes. Tayden Lorenzen to start.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I wish I knew more about this Graves Co team. Is this interest based on their 1st three game results, or their potential? I am not familiar w them at all.

We have a history of upsetting very good teams in both football and basketball. We are usually a very disciplined team, hard nose players, that end up running into better athletes. This year we have those better athletes.  We’ve been In Owensboro’s shadow for awhile, but played them in a respectable 28-14 loss last year in District Championship. We had it in redzone down 7 with about 5 minutes to go and couldn’t punch it in. 

We lost 4/5 of lineman but kept basically every athlete besides qb. Losing that much on offense we were kinda written off. Our offense however has gone off over the last three games. Sophomore qb does enough to get the job done and the line has been fine. 

I imagine Owensboro is still the favorite, but I’d also like to think they have something to worry about. 

• Like 2