BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings 9/6

TheDeuce

15 hours ago, gcbleedblue said:

We have a history of upsetting very good teams in both football and basketball. We are usually a very disciplined team, hard nose players, that end up running into better athletes. This year we have those better athletes.  We’ve been In Owensboro’s shadow for awhile, but played them in a respectable 28-14 loss last year in District Championship. We had it in redzone down 7 with about 5 minutes to go and couldn’t punch it in. 

We lost 4/5 of lineman but kept basically every athlete besides qb. Losing that much on offense we were kinda written off. Our offense however has gone off over the last three games. Sophomore qb does enough to get the job done and the line has been fine. 

I imagine Owensboro is still the favorite, but I’d also like to think they have something to worry about. 

Graves lost to Owensboro 28-21 in the 2nd round last year and gave up a kickoff return for a TD to open the 3rd quarter.  Then had the ball in the redzone at the end of the game and couldn't punch it in. 

1 hour ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Graves lost to Owensboro 28-21 in the 2nd round last year and gave up a kickoff return for a TD to open the 3rd quarter.  Then had the ball in the redzone at the end of the game and couldn't punch it in. 

That is accurate. For some reason I was thinking it was 21-14 when we couldn't punch it in, and then they scored again. But you are correct. Owensboro also scooped and score on a fumble at about midfield that game.

You have to believe Graves goes for two there if they score to try and pull off the upset.

3 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Graves is tough.  As far as the 28-21 game, Graves had it at the 20 with about 3 mins left - which is about as far as they got.  The big thing for O that game was they had 2 TD's lost because of fumbles.  Wimsatt is at the goal line and fumbles, then Gough was moving down at the 5 and fumbles. They lost both of these.  O very easily could have had 42 in the game.  But if you turn it over a lot you can be beat.  O hasn't punted much in both games with Graves last year (I think 2 total).  That said, with Wimsatt, I think O would be heavy favorite this year- now I'm thinking it's a pretty even matchup at Graves depending upon how our QB starts to play.  As far as this poll - Graves could easily be #6 IMO, but they should be in it nonetheless.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brown said:

Graves is tough.  As far as the 28-21 game, Graves had it at the 20 with about 3 mins left - which is about as far as they got.  The big thing for O that game was they had 2 TD's lost because of fumbles.  Wimsatt is at the goal line and fumbles, then Gough was moving down at the 5 and fumbles. They lost both of these.  O very easily could have had 42 in the game.  But if you turn it over a lot you can be beat.  O hasn't punted much in both games with Graves last year (I think 2 total).  That said, with Wimsatt, I think O would be heavy favorite this year- now I'm thinking it's a pretty even matchup at Graves depending upon how our QB starts to play.  As far as this poll - Graves could easily be #6 IMO, but they should be in it nonetheless.

Who will likely start at QB for the Red Devils now that Wimsatt is basking on the banks of the Raritan River in New Brunswick, NJ.

13 minutes ago, Brown said:

Who will likely start at QB for the Red Devils now that Wimsatt is basking on the banks of the Raritan River in New Brunswick, NJ.

@Purple88Kasey Boone.  You can watch him vs BG JV from last year on nfhs.  He threw some really good passes in that game.  I would guess behind him is Taquan Robinson who used to be the backup.  Fast and good arm.  Although I think he is hurt.  Behind him would probably be Delacey who is only a freshman.  He needs another year or 2 before he is ready to play varsity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Brown said:

@Purple88Kasey Boone.  You can watch him vs BG JV from last year on nfhs.  He threw some really good passes in that game.  I would guess behind him is Taquan Robinson who used to be the backup.  Fast and good arm.  Although I think he is hurt.  Behind him would probably be Delacey who is only a freshman.  He needs another year or 2 before he is ready to play varsity.

Thx @Brown!  I saw that game and Boone played well.

With Owensboro's next 4 games being against teams with a 1 and 12 record (and the 1 win was a COVID win), perfect time to break in a new QB.  That leads to a very interesting road game for the Red Devils down to Graves County in what should amount to a winner gets home field in the playoffs game rematch.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Thx @Brown!  I saw that game and Boone played well.

With Owensboro's next 4 games being against teams with a 1 and 12 record (and the 1 win was a COVID win), perfect time to break in a new QB.  That leads to a very interesting road game for the Red Devils down to Graves County in what should amount to a winner gets home field in the playoffs game rematch.

Yes - perfect timing - they should win all of those.  Defense has to step up and they have to develop and trust their depth - a lot of 2 ways against ST. X and also Daviess.  Very uncharacteristic of Owensboro.  Although they do a good job of spelling the skill players who go back and forth.  Great offensive line should help Boone - they all only go 1 way.