Covington Catholic - 2021 Schedule

On 3/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, Brcatz said:

I would think Agee would be the new QB starter for Cov Cath.

The quarterback scenario will definitely be something to watch.

Adam Holtz was Caleb Jacob's backup at QB last year, in addition to his being a starting outside linebacker. Holtz will be a senior this year, and that presents a very similar scenario to 2018, when Tyler Reusch was a senior and outside linebacker who had been backup QB to AJ Mayer - and Eddie opted to start sophomore QB Caleb Jacob over Reusch. This year, we have Holtz as the senior QB who already has a key role in the linebacking corps - he has 3rd most tackles of the returning defensive starters this season. Then we have Evan Pitzer moving up as a sophomore. Evan Pitzer (like Caleb Jacob) has a really strong arm for a freshman moving up to his sophomore year, but isn't necessarily the strongest when it comes to running out of the backfield. I've heard a couple of people say "he doesn't take hits well" either, but that's only hearsay.

As for Preston Agee, I don't know anything as to his transfer eligibility, for starters. He was a backup QB to Justin Little last year at Campbell County, although Agee got the start at QB in Campbell's final game of the year against Highlands. In that game, he was 7-12 passing for 89 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTs, and ran the ball 20 times for another 85 yards and a TD. He was also the Camels' leading scorer last year, with 246 yards and 7 touchdowns on 59 carries (including his 20 carries in the Highlands game), and 8 pass receptions for 139 yards and 2 TDs. With those stats, looking just at his rushing and receiving, that made Agee good for 5.75 yards per touch. Not bad at all.

I don't have any insider information here, but just looking at all that, I think Eddie is going to be working hard on seeing how they can develop Pitzer's body this off season with the interest of improving his ability to scramble and run. I think Pitzer will be Plan A at quarterback for the Colonels, and Agee will be plan A2.

• Like 5

ELDER
All-Time Series Record: 5-0 Elder
Last 10 Years: Did Not Play
During Eviston's Tenure: Did Not Play

BELFRY
All-Time: Did Not Play
10 Years: Did Not Play
Eviston: Did Not Play

LEXINGTON CATHOLIC
All-Time: 7-6 Cov Cath
10 Years: 3-2 Cov Cath
Eviston: 3-2 Cov Cath

DIXIE HEIGHTS
All-Time: 41-7 Cov Cath
10 Years: 10-0 Cov Cath
Eviston: 6-0 Cov Cath

BEECHWOOD
All-Time: 24-16 Cov Cath
10 Years: 9-1 Cov Cath

COOPER
All-Time: 6-0 Cov Cath
10 Years: 6-0 Cov Cath

BOONE COUNTY
All-Time: 28-12 Cov Cath
10 Years: 6-0 Cov Cath
Eviston: 2-0 Cov Cath

HIGHLANDS
All-Time: 49-24 Highlands
10 Years: 10-7 Highlands
Eviston: 7-2 Cov Cath

CONNER
All-Time: 23-12 Cov Cath
10 Years: 6-1 Cov Cath
Eviston: 3-0 Cov Cath

RYLE
All-Time: 10-7 Cov Cath
10 Years: 4-3 Cov Cath
Eviston: 3-2 Cov Cath

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

I'll say it, I think this schedule, THIS year, is a bridge too far.  New QB, likely a young QB, and you're throwing him and them to the wolves.  You could, conceivably, start out the year 2-3...and if you open with 3 straight losses, who knows how the young men will react.  Full faith in Eddie & his staff, but this seems like a tough ask to open the year two those three games, and follow them up with a Dixie team that about got you this year, and then at Beechwood (which is always an odd game given the "rivalry" aspects of it).  

I think the results of the first 5 games will tell us how far Eddie has taken the program. If it's a program with a great coach that has top NKY talent or if it's truly elite and just plain reloads.

• Like 1

As of now, I think that we'll be better than last year, but I would be surprised if we won a state title if the other top teams around the state are at the same level. 

Positives are bringing back 3 starters on the O-Line plus other big, physical players like Wilson and Jones who are both really good. I also think we'll be more athletic (read the BG fans thoughts from the game last year...they weren't wrong) with player development and a full year of Zion. 

It's obviously unreasonable to expect a first year QB, who's also likely a young guy, to carry the offense. So, I am going to be looking at the backs and how they've developed the first few games to see how far we can go. 

11 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

As of now, I think that we'll be better than last year, but I would be surprised if we won a state title if the other top teams around the state are at the same level. 

Positives are bringing back 3 starters on the O-Line plus other big, physical players like Wilson and Jones who are both really good. I also think we'll be more athletic (read the BG fans thoughts from the game last year...they weren't wrong) with player development and a full year of Zion. 

It's obviously unreasonable to expect a first year QB, who's also likely a young guy, to carry the offense. So, I am going to be looking at the backs and how they've developed the first few games to see how far we can go. 

I think the defense looks like it should be in REALLY nice shape next year.

Defensive Back:
Reid Hummel (SR)
Dennis Lenihan (SR)
Zion Mason (JR)
Dallas Wirth (SR)

Linebacker:
Blake Folke (JR)
Adam Holtz (SR)
Aiden Jones (JR)

Defensive End / Edge:
Brayden Collins (SR)
David Sullivan (SR)
Trevor Wilson (SR)

Defensive Line:
Sam Epplen (SR)
Max Lawrie (JR)

All of the guys above come with a decent amount of playing time, and quite a few are returning starters. Jones, Sullivan, Holtz, and Wilson were all among the top 10 leading tacklers for the team last year. Then Willie Rodriguez, Casey Bir and Charlie Dieruf were some names from last year's freshman team that I think we'll hear next year, for sure.

• Like 5

Glad to see Elder on the schedule. It might not be a bad thing playing them the first game of the year. Both teams will be rusty and have first game jitters. It could work in CCH favor with a many returning starters or playing experience. I don’t know much about what Elder will look like this year but if they a have a bunch of first time starters then this game could be interesting. 

2 hours ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Glad to see Elder on the schedule. It might not be a bad thing playing them the first game of the year. Both teams will be rusty and have first game jitters. It could work in CCH favor with a many returning starters or playing experience. I don’t know much about what Elder will look like this year but if they a have a bunch of first time starters then this game could be interesting. 

Ramsey and Hambleton are very nice pieces to build an offense around for Elder. The Panther's averaged 33 points a game last season and were only slowed by Indiana state champ Indy Cathedral (held to 14 points in that game). They should be very productive again this fall and the CovCath defense will be heavily tested.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:03 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

All of the guys above come with a decent amount of playing time, and quite a few are returning starters. Jones, Sullivan, Holtz, and Wilson were all among the top 10 leading tacklers for the team last year. Then Willie Rodriguez, Casey Bir and Charlie Dieruf were some names from last year's freshman team that I think we'll hear next year, for sure.

Rodriguez just won the region for his weight class in wrestling, as a freshman. That dude has some athletic TALENT.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

I am hearing Chandler Starks will be joining the CCH football team next year?

11 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

That news has been going around. Who knows for sure, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I've heard it from more than one parent and from more than one kid on the football team...but I'm with colonel-fan...I'll believe it when I see it.