Bishop Brossart 86 Covington Holy Cross 77

Exciting night for Brossart basketball.  Without the services of Stephen Verst it was doubtful that our "makeshift" lineup would be able to generate enough points to compete with the prolific Holy Cross Indians who had scored 82 points twenty-four hours previous.

Brossart had the hot hand in the first quarter, knocking home five 3-pointers and took a 22-13 early game lead.  The Tribe returned the favor in the second stanza, outscoring the home team 26-14 to take a 39-36 to the locker-room at halftime.  At the half Jacob Meyer, Holy Cross' super soph, led all scorers with 21, Brossart's Carson Schirmer had 13 and Robbie Verst 12.

In the second half Carson Schirmer put his team on his shoulders and challenged the Indians to stop him, resulting in his scoring six field goals and hitting on 17 of 20 free-throw attempts, for a composite 45 points on the night, leading his team to an 86-77 quality win.

By scoring 45 points, Carson Schirmer eclipses the "43 points in a game" school record, set by Greg Schwegmann back in 1970.  He finished the night with 20 of 23 from the free-throw line, topping a thirty year old school record held by Ralph Kroger at 18 makes in a game.  Schirmer also passed three members of our 1,000 Points Club, moving into 15th place among all-time Brossart scorers.

Schirmer's outburst over-shadowed a superb 32 point performance by Jacob Meyer.  Blake Robinson added 15, Jeremiah Hicks 13, and Brandon McClendon 11.    In addition to Schirmer, Robbie Verst netted 18 and David Govan 10 for the Mustangs.

The Mustangs continue on our seven game home stand, hosting the Augusta Panthers on Wednesday night in Alexandria.

Our JVs failed to notch their fifth consecutive win, falling 53-45 to the JV Indians in overtime.       

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Mustang said:

Exciting night for Brossart basketball.  Without the services of Stephen Verst it was doubtful that our "makeshift" lineup would be able to generate enough points to compete with the prolific Holy Cross Indians who had scored 82 points twenty-four hours previous.

Brossart had the hot hand in the first quarter, knocking home five 3-pointers and took a 22-13 early game lead.  The Tribe returned the favor in the second stanza, outscoring the home team 26-14 to take a 39-36 to the locker-room at halftime.  At the half Jacob Meyer, Holy Cross' super soph, led all scorers with 21, Brossart's Carson Schirmer had 13 and Robbie Verst 12.

In the second half Carson Schirmer put his team on his shoulders and challenged the Indians to stop him, resulting in his scoring six field goals and hitting on 17 of 20 free-throw attempts, for a composite 45 points on the night, leading his team to an 86-77 quality win.

By scoring 45 points, Carson Schirmer eclipses the "43 points in a game" school record, set by Greg Schwegmann back in 1970.  He finished the night with 20 of 23 from the free-throw line, topping a thirty year old school record held by Ralph Kroger at 18 makes in a game.  Schirmer also passed three members of our 1,000 Points Club, moving into 15th place among all-time Brossart scorers.

Schirmer's outburst over-shadowed a superb 32 point performance by Jacob Meyer.  Blake Robinson added 15, Jeremiah Hicks 13, and Brandon McClendon 11.    In addition to Schirmer, Robbie Verst netted 18 and David Govan 10 for the Mustangs.

The Mustangs continue on our seven game home stand, hosting the Augusta Panthers on Wednesday night in Alexandria.

Our JVs failed to notch their fifth consecutive win, falling 53-45 to the JV Indians in overtime.       

Good, but one sided, synopsis. To have one person shoot 23 free throws for a game let alone 20 in the 2nd half speaks volumes as to what really went down in Alexandria. 

• Like 1

You have a short memory, failing to remember the debacle that took place in the second half last year in Latonia, where the Mustangs also shot 38 free-throws.

What went down in Alexandria was that one pretty talented player, put his short-handed team on his back, challenged his opponents to stop him, and he netted 45 points.  What it took to win on this night. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

Good, but one sided, synopsis. To have one person shoot 23 free throws for a game let alone 20 in the 2nd half speaks volumes as to what really went down in Alexandria. 

You do understand that the post was written by an author titled Mustang? Perhaps the opposing team needed to move their feet better, double team to make the guy give up the ball, rotate defenses, trap, etc. But as usual it's officiating. Sounds like the young man had a heck of a game and nailed his free throws.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 9068 said:

You do understand that the post was written by an author titled Mustang? Perhaps the opposing team needed to move their feet better, double team to make the guy give up the ball, rotate defenses, trap, etc. But as usual it's officiating. Sounds like the young man had a heck of a game and nailed his free throws.

I was there and I am a coach as well, but to be completely honest, the refs did not do a good job. The second half was completely whistle happy on one end. It was bad. Kudos to the boys taking advantage of it and hitting what seemed like a million free throws. All teams will have these nights once in a while. 

Your better defensive teams such as Scott, Highlands, Lloyd held Brossart under ave points per game which resulted in a win. Holy Cross’s on the fly what ever that is offense and very little defense helped Brossart to a win. 

2 hours ago, Brcatz said:

Your better defensive teams such as Scott, Highlands, Lloyd held Brossart under ave points per game which resulted in a win. Holy Cross’s on the fly what ever that is offense and very little defense helped Brossart to a win. 

Better defensive teams Highlands and Lloyd? Not mistaken but Holy Cross scored 82 on Highlands and 73 against Lloyd. Not a real good defensive showing by them. Scott won’t play Holy Cross because of the transfer of Meyer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulBlart said:

Better defensive teams Highlands and Lloyd? Not mistaken but Holy Cross scored 82 on Highlands and 73 against Lloyd. Not a real good defensive showing by them. Scott won’t play Holy Cross because of the transfer of Meyer

Congrats to Mr. Schirmer on the record, and thank you Mustang for another fine game recap.

Regarding Jacob Meyer - If the folks at Scott could only have anticipated that he might transfer. Members of the Meyer clan have played at Holy Cross going back at least 60 years. 

Instead Scott ends a 40 year competitive rivalry with a school four miles away *and* in a different Region? That's a lot of leverage given to one 14 year old kid, transferring before his freshman year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

There were a lot of fouls called in the 2nd half. Both teams were in the double bonus. Four of Schirmer's free throws were a result of technical foul calls against HC players. It got chippy and a lack of discipline and/or maturity was evident. That part is certainly not on the refs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Congrats to Mr. Schirmer on the record, and thank you Mustang for another fine game recap.

Regarding Jacob Meyer - If the folks at Scott could only have anticipated that he might transfer. Members of the Meyer clan have played at Holy Cross going back at least 60 years. 

Instead Scott ends a 40 year competitive rivalry with a school four miles away *and* in a different Region? That's a lot of leverage given to one 14 year old kid, transferring before his freshman year. 

It must be a serious issue.  Just yesterday, I had my hair cut by a stylist with a son on Scott's team (not going to say who).  I mentioned this and was looking for the back story.  I'm glad I didn't leave with a slit throat.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, nkypete said:

It must be a serious issue.  Just yesterday, I had my hair cut by a stylist with a son on Scott's team (not going to say who).  I mentioned this and was looking for the back story.  I'm glad I didn't leave with a slit throat.

Did the stylist know or say anything? 

• mcpapa locked this topic