theguru

Why did Eddie James jilt Highlands?

1 minute ago, barrel said:

I get people being upset.  It isn’t a good situation really for anyone.  Look at the comments in this thread and some others. How many people want to work in that type of environment?  HHS is different. It’s not for everyone. It just doesn’t fit some people. 

That’s what you get when you turn your back on people in a rude way. Should we give him a trophy for faking us out?

41 minutes ago, Hard Work said:

I think they may have forgotten the cannons going off the last time these two played! 

18 minutes ago, Call It Like It Is said:

You make a decision and text kids from the other school, and then just leave two days later! Karma!

14 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Did he win?  Never mind, I know the answer and it was NO.

Future Highlands applicants take note. This is just a taste of how things are at Highlands when the Birds aren't happy with you. About as warm as a penguin's keister.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

That’s what you get when you turn your back on people in a rude way. Should we give him a trophy for faking us out?

How would you of preferred him handle it? If after talking to parents, players and being around he decided it wasn’t a good fit should he of stayed? What if after he was on the job the parents, players and community realized he wasn’t a good fit then what? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Oracle said:

Future Highlands applicants take note. This is just a taste of how things are at Highlands when the Birds aren't happy with you. About as warm as a penguin's keister.

No that’s how we feel when we get ditched. Highlands is a great place to work. The way I take it is James wiped Highlands and the other applicants through the dirt. 

2 minutes ago, barrel said:

How would you of preferred him handle it? If after talking to parents, players and being around he decided it wasn’t a good fit should he of stayed? What if after he was on the job the parents, players and community realized he wasn’t a good fit then what? 

I don’t know don’t hold a press conference and then think about your decision. 

• Like 1

IMO, who in their right mind would want to take over this program? The fans LITERALLY ran BW out of town after being loyal for over 20+ years, his time was probably up but still so much hate was thrown at him. Way to much pressure taking over the program. The fans have your back, until you can’t get your team to perform. I guess it’s just like any other coaching position, but I feel like Highlands fans want something that is not realistic with the talent.

Maybe the talent is there, but the head coach isn’t the solution IMO. Yeah it may be a step in the right direction. But let’s face it, the coach and his staff are not the ones out there competing. It comes down to the players, and Coach Eddie probably saw the bodies he had to work with and revoked his decision in a terrible manner, but it is what it is.

As long as the new coach brings in a good culture, that the kids can get behind, the Birds will be as good as they were under BW. But if the players want to stop being subpar and losing to Covington Catholic, they have to figure it out themselves and put in the work. “Coach is as good as his players”. If you don’t believe in this quote then look at what happened to Cov Cath. AJ Mayer, Michael Mayer, and Kam Butler left after dominating for so many years and they came back down to earth and lost to Bowling Green by ALOT. Say what you want to say about the talent and coaching in Fort Thomas, but it’s going to come down to who works the hardest in the off-season.

I personally think that the hiring committee not only has to hire a new head coach, but a team nutritionist/strength and conditioning coach who knows what they are doing! But what do I know ?? Go Birds

• Like 3

I guess I shouldn't be shocked, but I really can't believe this is turning into a referendum on Highlands fans not handling this well on a message board.   

• Like 1

Just now, El Diablo said:

I don’t know don’t hold a press conference and then think about your decision. 

Doesn’t a majority of that happen after or the day of the press conference? It’s not like buying a car where you get a test drive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

Yep take note.  He had multiple chances to walk it back- after applying, after interview, after offer and after acceptance before the presser.  He did not choose for it to be an issue before heat from where he was currently located.  Better now than later, but still handled very poorly.

• Like 9

I think it's nothing more than it appears to be on face value.

I don't know Coach James personally, but if this is what his heart is telling him - and he's never made any bones about his love for his alma mater - then more power to him.   If that's truly it, then this was the best decision for all involved, including Highlands, Franklin County, and Coach James.   Good luck to him back in Frankfort, and good luck to Highlands as the Birds move on.   They won't have trouble finding another coach.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ken Morgan said:

Does Highlands go back to Wolfe? 

That sounds like a question for the Highlands Open Job thread. 

• Like 1

I guess I wouldn’t have had as much of an issue if he would have thanked Highlands and or apologized for wasting Highlands’ time. In his message he seemed oblivious to stepping on toes in the way he went about it. 

Does this happen often? A new coach having a press conference and then backing out? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

My first thought was maybe he read through all the BGP posts and said whoa Nelly!  Either way Highlands should be happy this happened now. Still plenty of time to find a good coach and keep program on annual calendar (off season and such). 

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I guess I wouldn’t have had as much of an issue if he would have thanked Highlands and or apologized for wasting Highlands’ time. In his message he seemed oblivious to stepping on toes in the way he went about it. 

Does this happen often? A new coach having a press conference and then backing out? 

Jay Cobb left Somerset for Henderson. Was over there a couple of weeks and then resigned and returned to Somerset.