Why did Eddie James jilt Highlands?

theguru

1 minute ago, LoudenSwain said:

My first thought was maybe he read through all the BGP posts and said whoa Nelly!  Either way Highlands should be happy this happened now. Still plenty of time to find a good coach and keep program on annual calendar (off season and such). 

That is better than him being here for a couple weeks. But then that makes me think, if you are decisive and make a decision don’t you give it a week before you pull out? Unless something happened that we don’t know about that turned him off fast. I know he’s getting blasted on here now but this after he ditched us. I’m sorry that I am defensive about this. But he left us in the lurch in a way. 

10 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I guess I wouldn’t have had as much of an issue if he would have thanked Highlands and or apologized for wasting Highlands’ time. In his message he seemed oblivious to stepping on toes in the way he went about it. 

Does this happen often? A new coach having a press conference and then backing out? 

The holding a press conference is a newer thing in general and isn’t even common in a majority of HS in the state. People have named around three other coaches that have done this. Chuck Smith, Cobb, and a coach from one of the Pulaski schools and there could be more. Who knows how often it has happened in other sports. 

How much did the information leak play into all of this if at all? It got leaked they were going to hire Coach James before it became official or am I remembering that wrong? Did that speed up a few things? Did it put Coach James in a bad spot because his team found out that way instead of from him?

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

That is better than him being here for a couple weeks. But then that makes me think, if you are decisive and make a decision don’t you give it a week before you pull out? Unless something happened that we don’t know about that turned him off fast. I know he’s getting blasted on here now but this after he ditched us. I’m sorry that I am defensive about this. But he left us in the lurch in a way. 

I totally understand how you're feeling, ED....you guys lost out on a really good coach.   But I really don't think Highlands is left in a lurch.    You have plenty of time to find a good coach....what really stinks for the Birds is that there's another premier program in KY looking for a coach right now....  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I guess I wouldn’t have had as much of an issue if he would have thanked Highlands and or apologized for wasting Highlands’ time. In his message he seemed oblivious to stepping on toes in the way he went about it. 

Does this happen often? A new coach having a press conference and then backing out? 

Not uncommon for people to accept a job and have a change of heart. Happens everyday. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NKYRaider said:

Not uncommon for people to accept a job and have a change of heart. Happens everyday. 

Yeah common in accounting firms and jobs of that nature. This a little different. This is like a ceo pulling out. And I’m sure there is some talk after those. 

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah common in accounting firms and jobs of that nature. This a little different. This is like a ceo pulling out. And I’m sure there is some talk after those. 

Lol, CEO? No offense, but we are still talking about a High School football coaching job, correct?  Highlands will be fine. No need to over react and be overly critical of the man. 

• Like 1

Ok, I've cooled down a bit. He really just wasted a bit of time, that's really it. He just wanted to go home to his community and continue what he had built. You can't really hate on him for that. Coach James didn't deserve my reactionary harsh comments. I apologize and good luck to him continuing at Franklin County. He seems like a great coach.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, NKYRaider said:

Lol, CEO? No offense, but we are still talking about a High School football coaching job, correct?  Highlands will be fine. No need to over react and be overly critical of the man. 

Highlands is or was a football school. Head football coach is not a random job at Highlands.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I guess I just don’t see someone respectable doing something like that. I hope he just got home sick or something. I guess I shouldn’t judge. 

Well, if you don't feel he's respectable you should be glad he isn't coming. I feel his current employer lightened his school load, upped his coaching supplement, and provided other incentives for he and family. Moving, building a staff, school responsibility, commuting for Winter programs probably began looking a little difficult. He's had some very good talent the last two years and many return. Maybe looking at film factored in....you never know. I told my wife what will happen now....we shall see.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, barrel said:

I don’t know how much the Trinity search plays into this search. You don’t get the same applicants. Trinity also goes through the process a little different I would have to guess. 

Trinity and Highlands- open at the same time.  Any takers on knowing if that’s ever happened before?

5 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Well, if you don't feel he's respectable you should be glad he isn't coming. I feel his current employer lightened his school load, upped his coaching supplement, and provided other incentives for he and family. Moving, building a staff, school responsibility, commuting for Winter programs probably began looking a little difficult. He's had some very good talent the last two years and many return. Maybe looking at film factored in....you never know. I told my wife what will happen now....we shall see.

Sounds like it worked out really  well for everyone. 

27 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Highlands is or was a football school. Head football coach is not a random job at Highlands.

I always thought it was billed as one of the top academic schools in KY with a legendary football program. They have outstanding teams in all sports, men's and women's, with fine coaches. They have been in a bit of a down cycle in football and that happens at many places from time to time. Do you think football people not attached to Highlands may not feel the job was what it once was??

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I always thought it was billed as one of the top academic schools in KY with a legendary football program. They have outstanding teams in all sports, men's and women's, with fine coaches. They have been in a bit of a down cycle in football and that happens at many places from time to time. Do you think football people not attached to Highlands may not feel the job was what it once was??

Maybe. But not people that know about Highlands. There is no ceiling. We just need the right guy.