BluegrassPreps Class 3A Football Rankings (10/19) - Discussion

TheDeuce

Class 3A

The Class 3A Game of the Week turned into the Class 3A "Take Notice of the Week" as Ashland used a dominant second half to rout Russell, 41-7. Keontae Pittman's 157 yards rushing and three touchdowns was the offensive catalyst, while the Tomcats defense held the Red Devils to 150 yards total offense. As a result, Ashland moves into the third spot in the BluegrassPreps Class 3A rankings while Russell slips to sixth.

Two top tier pairings spice up the 3A calendar this week. First, top ranked DeSales hosts Mercer County. DeSales has played once in the last four weeks due to COVID, a three touchdown loss to St. Xavier. Meanwhile, Mercer County has won four straight after a season opening loss to Boyle County, compiling a higher point total every week in each of the four victories. A Titans victory all but assures the number one seed in tournament play.

Just south of Louisville, numbers four and five clash when Elizabethtown travels to Bardstown. Both teams are undefeated and have dominated competition to this point. Elizabethtown is winning by 36 points per game while Bardstown is even more dominant, winning by an average of 43. Last year saw E-town win the regular season game in overtime before Bardstown romped in the playoff rematch. Could we see something similar in 2020?

Perhaps the most surprising result in Class 3A came from just outside the Top Ten as winless Union County rolled Paducah Tilghman, 49-7. Corinthian Seales-Portee rushed for 219 yards and three touchdowns giving the Braves their first win of the season. Don't let the record fool you, however, as Union's four previous opponents are a combined 19-5 and their average margin of defeat had been a mere 12 points.

1. DeSales vs. #7 Mercer County

2. Belfry vs. Pike County Central

3. Ashland at Greenup County

4. Elizabethtown at #5 Bardstown

5. Bardstown vs. #4 Elizabethtown

6. Russell -- OPEN

7. Mercer County at #1 DeSales

8. Christian Academy - Louisville vs. Western Hills

9. Rockcastle County -- OPEN

10. Bell County vs. Estill County

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GOREDDEVILS said:

I'd Like to see Russell and Mercer County tee it up. Both are open this weekend 22-23

TJ and I did talk this week.... but, right now.... jumping on a school bus for a long bus ride is not in anyone's best interest. Navigating this COVID is tough. Just when you think you have figured out what the rules/parameters are....you find out you were wrong. Beyond frustrating. 

Would love to go to Flatwoods ONE MORE TIME before my days coaching football come to an end. Love that place. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 10.36.49 PM.png

9 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

TJ and I did talk this week.... but, right now.... jumping on a school bus for a long bus ride is not in anyone's best interest. Navigating this COVID is tough. Just when you think you have figured out what the rules/parameters are....you find out you were wrong. Beyond frustrating.

Would be great to see but completely understand. I'm amazed at the work done by coaches over the last couple months in rearranging schedules, game planning, and coaching in many cases on just a couple days notice. Nothing is ideal but it seems like most folks in Kentucky athletics have done everything they could to get some type of season in.

13 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Would be great to see but completely understand. I'm amazed at the work done by coaches over the last couple months in rearranging schedules, game planning, and coaching in many cases on just a couple days notice. Nothing is ideal but it seems like most folks in Kentucky athletics have done everything they could to get some type of season in.

Very proud to be a KY HS Football Coach. The guys in our profession have done a super job in their efforts to be in compliance, prevent the spread of COVID, and make it possible for our kids to have a football season in the fall of 2020.

Also, school administrators and communities as a whole have worked to make this happen. Very appreciative of their efforts as well. 

• Like 1