Highlands vs Covington Catholic (9th Region Championship) Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

CovCath is playing in their 8th straight Region Final -- who was the last 9th to accomplish that feat?

Vinson will have more than he did in the last meeting, that is for sure, regardless of what defense CovCath throws at him / them.

Always tough leaning on the three-point shot in a new building, especially one bigger than you're used to with depth perception challenges, but I agree with VOR, Highlands best (only?) chance is to get hot from the arc.

Hopefully it is a great game with a fun environment.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the Colonels are the favorite, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the birds pull off the upset.

I hope the Birds win, however I will be surprised if they don’t lose by double digits. Highlands, Conner, St. Henry are all very good teams, and if you go back maybe five or more years ago. All three would have had a very good chance to be region champs. However, CovCath these days are just on another level. Covcath is better than everyone in the region and most teams in the state by double digits.

If CCH wins, they will be the first team since CCH 2004 to run the table in the 9th.

Fun Fact: CovCath was undefeated versus 9th region teams that year but was not undefeated against NKY teams. Bishop Brossart defeated them in Alexandria that year and followed that up with a win in Park Hills the following season.

Do reporters fact check anymore?

Listerman quote:

"(CovCath) is super good. Nobody in the region has been within 20 points of them," Listerman said.

Really coach?

1/10/20 Newport 68 - 56

2/28/20 Beechwood 63 - 52

Also 2/25/20 Holy Cross 79-63

I expect Neil Green to have a monster game. I don’t see anybody that can match him physically and that has his size.

BBTEA nails it. My key to game here. If Green is allowed to do his thing under the basket, no one stops Colonels. For all the talent, all the hype around other players, this young man is this team’s MVP IMO. If not for him, they very well could have not made it past Holy Cross in the 35th....

Good luck to both. Should be a great Championship.

Do reporters fact check anymore?

Listerman quote:

"(CovCath) is super good. Nobody in the region has been within 20 points of them," Listerman said.

Really coach?

1/10/20 Newport 68 - 56

2/28/20 Beechwood 63 - 52

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember the threads for those games talking about how the game was never really in doubt. That CovCath controlled those games, and that the scores were actually closer than what the game actually was? So while yes technically a few teams did keep it within 20. I think his point was, that CovCath has basically had their way with everyone in the region this year and never really threatened or in danger of losing.

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember the threads for those games talking about how the game was never really in doubt. That CovCath controlled those games, and that the scores were actually closer than what the game actually was? So while yes technically a few teams did keep it within 20. I think his point was, that CovCath has basically had their way with everyone in the region this year and never really threatened or in danger of losing.

We'll agree to disagree here. Technically or not, multiple teams have kept it within 20. The statement is incorrect.

Exactly what I was thinking. While the final scores in most of those games listed don't tell the whole story, CovCath had amassed a much larger lead during those contests. Sure one could split hairs, but I get what Listerman was saying in that CovCath has dominated the 9th this whole season, which indeed they have.

Exactly what I was thinking. While the final scores in most of those games listed don't tell the whole story, CovCath had amassed a much larger lead during those contests. Sure one could split hairs, but I get what Listerman was saying in that CovCath has dominated the 9th this whole season, which indeed they have.

Then Listerman could have just said they dominated the whole season. Why go into hyperbole mode?