Bengals stretch run

No. I expected you to bring up character issues, and you did right on cue. Even though you know it was not an issue in 03 or 04, there it is. With the problem players they have gone 11-5 and now sit at 7-6 and lead the wild card with an amazing rash of injuries that should have sent them into the abyss.

When a franchise goes from 15 years in the gutter to fighting for the title overnight you have to expect them to take their lumps from time to time. Did Willie know what December football was really like in 03? No chance. And he's the unquestioned leader of the team. Like I said, you are joining Lance in a LONG stretch for something to talk about.

Maybe you could examine why the Bills are such a match up problem for the Bengals since the last two December home loses were at their hands...

I thought the Bengals were 7-5, I sure hope you're not telepathic. :mad:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'll be honest with you, I will be very surprised if the Bengals win three of their last four games. Oakland, Indy, Denver, Pitt. man that's a tough four game schedule. 2-2 at best if you ask me. Playing the Steelers last game of the season to determine if your in or not will be some pressure. Even if the Bengals make it in they will go on the road first game which is always tough. These are just some thoughts.

I really thought the Bengals were toast just a few short weeks ago. I've watched the NFL enough and know enough about it to know better than to write teams off like that...so I'm forced to recant.

I wouldn't be shocked if they run the table. The 180 on defense is a head scratcher for me...maybe they've finally found the guy at MLB. They should beat Oakland. They should beat Pittsburgh, but it's such a rivalry that you never know. Denver is really struggling, so they should be able to win that one. And, while Indy is rolling up another great season, they haven't been overly impressive...if the Bengals bring it that week, there's no reason they can't win.

I'm gonna say Cincy beats Oakland and Denver, and splits with Pittsburgh and Indy to finish 3-1.

Honestly, not sure. My first instinct would be to say the lack of a good defense. Defense is what wins championship games and down a stretch run is a championship run.

Also, I wonder if the character issue would come into play. Professionals are alwasy ready to play against any level of talent. Others overlook opponents they believe are beneath them. The Bengals have shown this past year that the character of some are lacking. Yet most of those are younger athletes who were not there the first two years.

As GT said character issues had nothing to do with the past few years. In 03 we played the Browns the last game of the year, and had to win. So I dont think anyone overlooked the Browns because they knew we had to win that game, but we just didn't get it done. In 04 Carson got his knee hurt against the Patriots. In 05 well the Bills just own us for some reason, and we didn't play the starters against the Chiefs. Character issues had nothing to do with it really. It was just that we were a team that was not use to being in those situations at the end of the year, and didn't know what it took to win those games. This years team though has been through it now, and knows what it takes....

This weeks Raiders game does scare me a little bit, but I think we will win it...The game that really scares me the most with our chances of making the playoffs is the Pittsburgh game. I mean cause it could go either way in Indy, I think we can easily win, or just as easily lose. I think we will take care of the Broncos. Its just those dang Steelers that scare me, because Im sure they would love to end our season for the 2nd year in a row. But if that game does come down to if we make the playoffs or not, I do think we will beat them this time, because we wouldn't want to lose to them again. And we would want to use beat them like they beat us, on our way to doing great things like they did last year after they beat us...

• 3 weeks later...

With one game left in the 06 season, the Bengals record under Marvin Lewis for the last 4 games of each season stands at 6-9 (and realistically could be 6-10 at the end of this season.). And remember they looked terrible in the last few losses last season and have looked horrible against the Colts and Broncos this season.

My point is not that they loss to the Colts and Broncos but looked horrible in doing it. In no way, shape or form did they look like a playoff team as the season died down last or this year.

Lewis seems to be a very good coach and the Bengals have talent. But this is a disturbing trend. But why does it happen is the question??

Too many young players still learning how to deal with the grind of 16 important games in 17 weeks...

4 years of too many young players??????????

If it was only this year, I can see it. If it was losing games while being competitive, I can see it. Even the first two years while he weeded out the Bungles, I can see it. But this year and last, they looked more like the Bungles than they did a playoff team.

4 years of too many young players??????????

If it was only this year, I can see it. If it was losing games while being competitive, I can see it. Even the first two years while he weeded out the Bungles, I can see it. But this year and last, they looked more like the Bungles than they did a playoff team.

Last year they had clinched a spot, and had an emotional letdown. This year they played on the road against two high quality teams. If Carson is playing at 75% of his ability, they win both games...

Last year they had clinched a spot, and had an emotional letdown. This year they played on the road against two high quality teams. If Carson is playing at 75% of his ability, they win both games...

On last year, I believe that speaks volumes on the quality of the character of the players on this team. NEVER made the playoffs before. From a franchise that has been a laughingstock. Battling for the first round bye. Trying to make a statement.

And you have an emotional letdown?:D

They had proved NOTHING and yet they thought they had and could let up off the pedal and coast. Speaks volumes about the quality of the character of the players.

And I have less of a problem with the two losses than the quality of their play. They did not look prepared to play in either game. They made mistake after mistake.

On last year, I believe that speaks volumes on the quality of the character of the players on this team. NEVER made the playoffs before. From a franchise that has been a laughingstock. Battling for the first round bye. Trying to make a statement.

And you have an emotional letdown?:D

They had proved NOTHING and yet they thought they had and could let up off the pedal and coast. Speaks volumes about the quality of the character of the players.

And I have less of a problem with the two losses than the quality of their play. They did not look prepared to play in either game. They made mistake after mistake.

There is a reason you hardly ever see a team win it all in their first or even second try. You have to learn how to win big games in the NFL, and they are on their way. I do agree that the last two weeks are disappointing in the nature of the performance. But if you look across the NFL you see it all the time these days...

There is a reason you hardly ever see a team win it all in their first or even second try. You have to learn how to win big games in the NFL, and they are on their way. I do agree that the last two weeks are disappointing in the nature of the performance. But if you look across the NFL you see it all the time these days...

Good point. Can't remember off the top of my head but do they have a quality win over an opponent OUTSIDE of their division in the last two years?

Good point. Can't remember off the top of my head but do they have a quality win over an opponent OUTSIDE of their division in the last two years?

New Orleans and maybe Kansas City this year. Other than that, no. They are built to win in the AFC North. It's interesting to see how that translates to the rest of the NFL.....