Louisville busing being heard by Supreme Court

Should be busing based on racial grounds be deemed discriminatory and overturned?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should be busing based on racial grounds be deemed discriminatory and overturned?

• Yes
    • No

It seems our little commonwealth and the Jefferson County school district is right smack in the middle of national attention and history as the Supreme Court is considering the busing issue.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200661201058

Crystal Meredith, a Louisville parent, challenged the Jefferson County Public Schools’ guidelines for assigning students in 2003, saying her son, who is white, was denied entry to the school she wanted because of his race.

Jefferson County school officials have countered that the district is seeking to improve education and tolerance with desegregated schools, goals that meet a constitutional requirement that they be “narrowly tailored.” If barred from using race as a factor in assigning schools, 30,000 students could end up in segregated schools, the district has argued.

It seems our little commonwealth and the Jefferson County school district is right smack in the middle of national attention and history as the Supreme Court is considering the busing issue.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200661201058

Crystal Meredith, a Louisville parent, challenged the Jefferson County Public Schools’ guidelines for assigning students in 2003, saying her son, who is white, was denied entry to the school she wanted because of his race.

Jefferson County school officials have countered that the district is seeking to improve education and tolerance with desegregated schools, goals that meet a constitutional requirement that they be “narrowly tailored.” If barred from using race as a factor in assigning schools, 30,000 students could end up in segregated schools, the district has argued.

I thought this was a new drug when I read first read that. :lol:

This is not a busing case. This case is about whether JCPS's policy that requires certain percentages of minority students to be enrolled at every school is unconstitutional.

You are correct that it is a major case with major implications.

This is not a busing case. This case is about whether JCPS's policy that requires certain percentages of minority students to be enrolled at every school is unconstitutional.

You are correct that it is a major case with major implications.

Hearsay -

I have learned a great deal from reading your posts over the last two years. Can you give us a synopsis of what those implications are?

Frances

PS - thanks for the education in so many of these legal areas. :thumb:

Hearsay -

I have learned a great deal from reading your posts over the last two years. Can you give us a synopsis of what those implications are?

Frances

PS - thanks for the education in so many of these legal areas. :thumb:

I echo these sentiments.

I echo these sentiments.

I echo the.........

From my understanding of reading cases dealing with things like this, the government have a "legitimate, societal goal" that may end up in violations of the rights of some. Something like, some individuals sacrifice for the betterment of the group. I think reasoning along those lines was used in the imminent domain case the Supreme Court had a couple of years ago. The court has to decide if the busing fits a legitimate government goal (preventing school segregation) without hurting the citizens too much.

I'm not as familiar with Jefferson Co. as some of you are, but I would imagine that there could be many schools in the county with a great racial imbalance, obviously based on a racial imbalance in the areas where people live.

That very thought was going through my mind as I scrolled down and saw that I'm not the only one! :lol:

Same here :lol:

Legal observers say the decisions in the cases may hinge on the opinions of President Bush’s two conservative picks for the court: Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito.

Alito replaced retired Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, who in earlier cases helped to make up a bare five-vote majority supporting policies that used race to achieve diversity.

Seems Alito may now be the swing voter in this kind of case.

Crystal Meredith............:lol:

Jeff Co doesn't mandate certain levels- they mandate certain ranges. At least 15% African American, no more than 50%. These are not outrageous.

My personal opinion is that Jefferson County is too racially/economically divided to lift these rules. If West End schools were better, or there would be more than 3 black kids in certain elementary schools, then I'd probably be for ending the racial component of placement.

But here is the philosophical discussion, Ram:

There is no question that our communities and our churches appear to be settled in large part according to race and/or ethnicity. Is that because of imposed segregation? Or has that become simply a reflection of community values? In other words, do we want to live with people of like race? For example, in New York City, urbanites tend to live together in ethnic groups (Irish with Irish, Italians with Italians, Jews with Jews, Blacks with Blacks, Latinos with Latinos), and it has little or nothing to do with economics. If that is what the community ITSELF values, why then do we expect to do something different with the schools?

But here is the philosophical discussion, Ram:

There is no question that our communities and our churches appear to be settled in large part according to race and/or ethnicity. Is that because of imposed segregation? Or has that become simply a reflection of community values? In other words, do we want to live with people of like race? For example, in New York City, urbanites tend to live together in ethnic groups (Irish with Irish, Italians with Italians, Jews with Jews, Blacks with Blacks, Latinos with Latinos), and it has little or nothing to do with economics. If that is what the community ITSELF values, why then do we expect to do something different with the schools?

It might have little to do with economics in your opinion, but you'd be hard pressed to make that argument in Louisville. No one wants to live in the West End, if they could afford it they'd all move to prospect in an instant.

Now, maybe if everyone could afford to live where they wanted, we'd see similar racial division; but we aren't looking at that case in this town, I can tell you that. And removing racial guidlines in placement would result in more disadvantaged minorities.

It might have little to do with economics in your opinion, but you'd be hard pressed to make that argument in Louisville. No one wants to live in the West End, if they could afford it they'd all move to prospect in an instant.

Now, maybe if everyone could afford to live where they wanted, we'd see similar racial division; but we aren't looking at that case in this town, I can tell you that. And removing racial guidlines in placement would result in more disadvantaged minorities.

OK, so lets make it more direct: What is (are) the reasons that blacks tend to live with blacks and whites tend to live with whites in Louisville?

Actually, let me pose an alternative query: If there is de facto segregation, and the cause of it is due to economics now, rather than racism and bigotry, what about a school board policy that sets "range quotas" based upon household income rather than race?

Jeff Co doesn't mandate certain levels- they mandate certain ranges. At least 15% African American, no more than 50%. These are not outrageous.

My personal opinion is that Jefferson County is too racially/economically divided to lift these rules. If West End schools were better, or there would be more than 3 black kids in certain elementary schools, then I'd probably be for ending the racial component of placement.

But don't they have open enrollment in Jefferson County? So if you lived in the West End, you could chose to go to whatever school you wish as long as they were not stocked to the gills with students?

Not intentionally stirring the pot here but an honest question. Does the private schools in Jefferson County have any guidelines to follow as the publics seem to in racial divide? I am guessing no because they are private in nature and was just curioius.