NCAA Tweaks Overtime Rule

All State Baseball

Odd rule.

Not really. I think this stems from the Texas A&M vs. LSU game last year that went to 7 OTs. Player safety was certainly in jeopardy. Players were gassed beyond belief and could barely function. Starting those overtimes from the 3 yard line vs. the 25 will make a difference in player safety if games go that long.

Not really. I think this stems from the Texas A&M vs. LSU game last year that went to 7 OTs. Player safety was certainly in jeopardy. Players were gassed beyond belief and could barely function. Starting those overtimes from the 3 yard line vs. the 25 will make a difference in player safety if games go that long.

I agree. I was at the UK/Arkansas 7OT game and by the end of it those guys could barely stand up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yet it has always been ten times better than the NFL overtime rules that allow a game to end in a tie.

Cannot disagree more. A tie is not the end of the world. College rules are a gimmicky, tricked up mess. I think that the NFL rules are fine now that the team that gets the ball first has to score a TD to end the game. I would also be fine with just playing another 10 minutes of OT - not sudden death. Whoever is ahead after the 10 minutes wins. If still tied, call it a tie. Why is a tie so bad? With the OT rules as they are, you only have one or two a year at the most.

Cannot disagree more. A tie is not the end of the world. College rules are a gimmicky, tricked up mess. I think that the NFL rules are fine now that the team that gets the ball first has to score a TD to end the game. I would also be fine with just playing another 10 minutes of OT - not sudden death. Whoever is ahead after the 10 minutes wins. If still tied, call it a tie. Why is a tie so bad? With the OT rules as they are, you only have one or two a year at the most.

Players are out there competing and laying their bodies on the line is the reason why a tie is a problem. Ties suck. Ask all players in football involved in a tie if they would have had rather has a chance to finish it out to try to get the win and all would say yes. A tie leaves an empty feeling. Not sure on knowing how to feel. Yeah it's not a lost, but it's not something to celebrate either. No reason to end in a tie.

College rules are better and prevents it. Now if they want to try to find another way to prevent a tie without making players play even longer. Then go to a field goal kicking shootout or something. Anything that doesnt allow a game to end in a tie.

Players are out there competing and laying their bodies on the line is the reason why a tie is a problem. Ties suck. Ask all players in football involved in a tie if they would have had rather has a chance to finish it out to try to get the win and all would say yes. A tie leaves an empty feeling. Not sure on knowing how to feel. Yeah it's not a lost, but it's not something to celebrate either. No reason to end in a tie.

College rules are better and prevents it. Now if they want to try to find another way to prevent a tie without making players play even longer. Then go to a field goal kicking shootout or something. Anything that doesnt allow a game to end in a tie.

Ties bother fans more than players. I played football in HS with no overtime, unless it was a playoff game, and was involved in a couple ties, one in a rivalry game. And I can’t say I had any of those feelings you mention. In fact I remember being glad one was over because it was the most physical, toughest game I ever played in. I hate college overtime, because it screws around with the rules, artificially starting drives deep in the other teams territory, and HS rules even more because you start even deeper. To me , it seems like the rules are designed to get the overtime over with quickly rather than really let things play out naturally. I much prefer the NFL rules since overtime still plays like a regular football game where field position is important.

Ties bother fans more than players. I played football in HS with no overtime, unless it was a playoff game, and was involved in a couple ties, one in a rivalry game. And I can’t say I had any of those feelings you mention. In fact I remember being glad one was over because it was the most physical, toughest game I ever played in. I hate college overtime, because it screws around with the rules, artificially starting drives deep in the other teams territory, and HS rules even more because you start even deeper. To me , it seems like the rules are designed to get the overtime over with quickly rather than really let things play out naturally. I much prefer the NFL rules since overtime still plays like a regular football game where field position is important.

Well NFL player comments sure seem to not have the same feelings about games that have ended in ties. If you listen to their comments at the end of those games.

I'm fine with the NFL overtime too as long as it doesnt end in a tie. I get not wanting to make the game go even longer and put players health at risk. So find a different way to end it, if its still a tie after the first initial overtime.

Imo you can't compare it to other sports that has ties, because most of the other sports have many more games in their regular season than a football season. There is already much less games in a season, let their be a winner and a loser. If if is still a tie after the first overtime. Have a field goal shootout. Field goals as is are dramatic at end of game situations. So imo that would create an exciting ending, less wear and tear of a second overtime, and prevents a game from a tie.

No professional sport should ever end in a tie. For that reason alone, the NCAA rules are better than the NFL.