Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2019 NCAA Selection

Featured Replies

Louisville and Minnesota will open the first round on Thursday on CBS at 12:15 PM EDT. Kentucky plays in prime-time at 7:10 PM on CBS. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, as I thought the Wofford game would go first.

 

Nah, you put the money teams in the money spots. Kentucky on CBS at 7 on Thursday, Duke on CBS at 7 on Friday.

  • Replies 108
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it’s cool for the fans, it’s the worst possible way to crown a champion.

 

Please elaborate.

The one that I thought stuck out to me was St. Johns getting ahead of TCU. Plus the committee said the last out was UNC Greensboro not TCU.

Wofford has to beat Seton Hall first.

 

I think UK got a pretty good draw. I'd rather have this than what Sparty got.

 

Tough break for Tennessee with a potential second round matchup with Cincinnati in Columbus.

 

Louisville got a pretty nice draw too.

Yeah it’s cool for the fans, it’s the worst possible way to crown a champion.

 

It's the nature of the sport. In basketball and baseball you often have teams winning that it looks pretty clear on paper they aren't the best team. That is why you see teams in basketball get beat by 25 points and then come back two weeks later and beat that same team. Fluky things can happen. A shoe can blow out. A guy on an opponent's team who a team wants to shoot three pointers suddenly gets hot one night and hits 5 or 6. In baseball, a pitcher has a great game. A light hitter ties into one and hits a big home run. That is the way it is in those sports and there is no reasonable tournament or playoff system that is going to ensure the "best" team wins it all.

 

In football it is much more likely that the best team is going to win.

 

In basketball and baseball, much less likely. And that is really the fun of March Madness. On any given night ...

The best thing so far from the bracket review is hear Jay Bilas, and Jay Williams whine and complain about Michigan St. beign put in the same bracket with Duke. Love it!

 

To many people get caught up with some of these guys being from Duke. Imo both Bilas and Jay William's are two of the best out there. I believe if UK was the number overall seed they would be saying the same thing if MSU was put as the 2 in the region.

 

Jay William's actually picked UK tonight in his bracket to win the Championship over Duke. Both are very good at covering the college game and I dont believe they really show bias at all. They just give true opinions.

To many people get caught up with some of these guys being from Duke. Imo both Bilas and Jay William's are two of the best out there. I believe if UK was the number overall seed they would be saying the same thing if MSU was put as the 2 in the region.

 

Jay William's actually picked UK tonight in his bracket to win the Championship over Duke. Both are very good at covering the college game and I dont believe they really show bias at all. They just give true opinions.

 

I'm not saying they are not objective and are very good at what they do. But you can't tell me no matter what they say on the air that they are not rooting for Duke to win it all and that is understandable. I just enjoyed hearing it and by looking at Greenburg's face I think he did as well.

It's the nature of the sport. In basketball and baseball you often have teams winning that it looks pretty clear on paper they aren't the best team. That is why you see teams in basketball get beat by 25 points and then come back two weeks later and beat that same team. Fluky things can happen. A shoe can blow out. A guy on an opponent's team who a team wants to shoot three pointers suddenly gets hot one night and hits 5 or 6. In baseball, a pitcher has a great game. A light hitter ties into one and hits a big home run. That is the way it is in those sports and there is no reasonable tournament or playoff system that is going to ensure the "best" team wins it all.

 

In football it is much more likely that the best team is going to win.

 

In basketball and baseball, much less likely. And that is really the fun of March Madness. On any given night ...

 

My biggest problem with college football is that's its basically the only big time sport where you can enter a season and not know what you have to do to play for a title. Teams literally cant enter a season with zero control on if they would get a shot. You have 5 power 5 conferences, yet you can go undefeated and realistically be left out by opinion thinking you are not one of the best 4. Or if a team wins its conference and all P5 conference champs have one lost. Once again opinion determines if you get a chance to play for a title. I believe a team should at least enter a season knowing the end goal of exactly what they have to do to play for a title.

You should start a thread about how it "should" be done.

I’m just hear to complain. All I want is a system that makes me care about regular season college basketball that’s it.

I'm not saying they are not objective and are very good at what they do. But you can't tell me no matter what they say on the air that they are not rooting for Duke to win it all and that is understandable. I just enjoyed hearing it and by looking at Greenburg's face I think he did as well.

 

Why wouldnt they want Duke to win it all? That's where they went, it would be weird if deep down they didn't want them to win it all. However just because they may want them to win it all. To many people imo think that influences their opinions on what they say. I dont see it all, they give very thoughtful opinions. Its just that Duke literally is a top team every year. So yeah they will have good things to say about them.

 

Jay William's picking UK to win it all shows he is basing his opinion on what he thinks and not his heart. They are both ten times better at being reasonable than me. I would pick UK every time haha.

Please elaborate.

Because basketball as a sport lends itself to upsets. I don’t care about upsets. I want to see great basketball. Everyone went crazy when UMBC knocked off Virginia last year. Yeah it’s cool that a 16 knocked off a 1 but Virginia was one of the best teams the entire season and it ended on one bad game. I hate that. UK went 38-0 in 2015, one bad game against Wisconsin and it’s over. Clearly it’s never going to change because it is great for the fans and quite frankly it’s fantastic for Vegas as well and money talks. But if the goal is to crown who the best team is for that year (which I believe should be the goal) then in no way do I think a tournament comprised of 64 teams accomplishes that goal. Everyone seems to hate the 4 team college football playoff, but no one doubts that the best team has won every single year so far. That system (as flawed as it may be), still accomplishes it’s goal.

It's the nature of the sport. In basketball and baseball you often have teams winning that it looks pretty clear on paper they aren't the best team. That is why you see teams in basketball get beat by 25 points and then come back two weeks later and beat that same team. Fluky things can happen. A shoe can blow out. A guy on an opponent's team who a team wants to shoot three pointers suddenly gets hot one night and hits 5 or 6. In baseball, a pitcher has a great game. A light hitter ties into one and hits a big home run. That is the way it is in those sports and there is no reasonable tournament or playoff system that is going to ensure the "best" team wins it all.

 

In football it is much more likely that the best team is going to win.

 

In basketball and baseball, much less likely. And that is really the fun of March Madness. On any given night ...

Baseball plays series to decide its champion. It’s not decided on one game. The way the NCAA crowns a baseball champion is infinitely better than the NCAA Tournament. I don’t doubt that the Tournament is exciting. In my mind I don’t believe the winner is always the best team in the sport. That’s what the champion should be. That’s who should hang a banner in their rafters, the best team, not the team that got hot at the right time.

Baseball plays series to decide its champion. It’s not decided on one game. The way the NCAA crowns a baseball champion is infinitely better than the NCAA Tournament. I don’t doubt that the Tournament is exciting. In my mind I don’t believe the winner is always the best team in the sport. That’s what the champion should be. That’s who should hang a banner in their rafters, the best team, not the team that got hot at the right time.

 

Baseball is 64 team double elimination. The final tournament is double elimination until you get to the title game.

2-2 in quad 1 and 3-1 in quad 2

 

I call bull. They played 0 teams, other than the one who got their league’s automatic bid, who are going to a tourney, at a quick glance at their schedule.

Baseball is 64 team double elimination. The final tournament is double elimination until you get to the title game.

 

And the title game is a best-of-3 series.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.