The New Playoff System Is So Bad....

gametime

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five of 16 games tonight within seven points.

Six of 16 were within seven last year in this round.

The draw wasn't much of an issue this year, but I think it's going to be a problem in future years when you have District 3 playing District 8 and District 2 playing District 6 and the regions, as we know them, no longer exist.

For 12 of the 16 regions, tonights games were exactly what we would have seen in the regional finals if all the 1 seeds would have won out. And if the 1s had not won out, we would likely have seen even better games in those regions because at least two strong teams from the same district would have had the chance to earn their way into the regional finals. (Beechwood/NCC comes to mind).

In the other 4 regions, we traded great state championship games for great regional finals games, at least in 4A. (That Trinity/Male game would have been a good championship game, no?)

I don't mind this format, but I don't think arguing that it produces better games is sound, especially if you are going to base it on one round.

Regional championship games SHOULD be good games. Are we really surprised?

Let me see if I see this right -

The cream came to the top as it always does.

The four surviving teams in each class are all pretty good teams.

Teams didn't have to travel as much early in the playoffs.

Teams from near each other played early to generate ability for fans to see games easier.

The one vs. four games in the first round weren't very good, and never are.

I am still searching for the "real" problem in the revised playoff brackets.

It's a playoff system. Bottom line, no matter who you play, you have to win four times in a month in a row to play in the final game.

I hate to say it, maybe this isn't so bad.

Plain and simple, this format got accomplished what it was "devised" for. Squelch some of the oppositin to certain programs being in the state final every year. The possibility of other teams making it to the 4A final is a lock!

It is not ALL about 4A but that is a focal point. I will be very surprised if the

4A game is within 4 touchdowns. No knock on any remaining team, just that the format for 4A DID NOT allow the two best teams to get to the championship game.

The games still have to be played and we all know on ANY given night that some strange things CAN happen. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong if any of the remaining teams can keep the trophy from Trinity now.

I think a one of these great games tonight should have been in the finals! (see Male/T)

There's one problem. Another problem, teams that play in tough districts have a more difficult road than teams that play in a weak district. There is no way the teams that are still playing in 4A are better than Male or St. X. Same thing with Highlands.

There's one problem. Another problem, teams that play in tough districts have a more difficult road than teams that play in a weak district. There is no way the teams that are still playing in 4A are better than Male or St. X. Same thing with Highlands.

Yeah, Trinity is terrible. :rolleyes:

If all we are worried about is if the "best two " teams play each other in the finals. Then do it like college football and have the coach's vote on 1 and 2 in each class and let them play at Papa John's.

Or play the games and see who wins in a playoff format. Because we all

know that every year the 2 best basketball teams always play each other in the Sweet Sixteen championship game, not.

How can you say that for one Highlands lost not once but twice to a better CCH team. Same with Male? they lost to a BETTER team-Trinity

I'm not a huge fan of the new play-off system either but you can't say that no one is better than a team if they lost.