The New Playoff System Is So Bad....

gametime

I still dont like it. The only thing I have liked about it is that it gave 4A NKY a better chance, but that is the only thing that I like about it.

I know in 1A its definitly not fair for the teams in the district with NCC and Beechwood, because the other teams are usually pretty good to, but will only get knocked out in the first round. Just look at HC they one of the best in the state, but instead had to play one of the other best teams in the state in the first round. In 4A we had the best teams playing in round 2 and now round 3. While in the old system we probably would have still got to see these matchups but in later rounds actually.

Look at 1A in the old system it would have been like this in the 2nd round

Beechwood vs. Raceland (maybe Holy Cross)

NCC vs. LCA

which both these games would have still drew very large crows, and then the next week would have also drew a huge crowd for no matter what teams won. So in the end it probably would all equal out in attendance in both ways, except you see could keep the old rivalries with the other districts. I know that is one thing I really like was seeing 4 schools from each district playing each other, and getting to see teams you haven't seen yet. We still would end up seeing all these great matchups against each other, but also still have the rivalries over a whole district playing against another one.

So as I said I still dont like this new system...

That's ok. We can agree to disagree. For every team in a traditionally strong district that dislikes it (and all of them don't agree one way or another even in those districts from the ones I have talked to) there is a team or teams in another district that does. It's (tournament format) probably something that you can never get better than 50% approval on. The school administrators wanted a change, less travel, etc., they got what they wanted, or at least they thought they wanted it. So let's watch it a year or two (especially in 2007 when smaller districts mean naturally more travel anyway since they are more spread out) and see if people like or don't...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here we go again :sleep:

Loopster, when we finish 15-0, and there's no one left to play, it'll continue, but probably with a different twist. Our weak schedule kept us fresh, and minimized our injuries, or something like that.

Under last year's system, I think Ashland and Highlands, two very good teams, would have advanced further. This year's system eliminated too many deserving teams early, and punished 3 of 4 teams in the most powerful districts. The best teams ultimately win out, I guess, but the most powerful teams should not have to eliminate each other in the first and second round.

Look at 1A in the old system it would have been like this in the 2nd round

Beechwood vs. Raceland (maybe Holy Cross)

NCC vs. LCA

Actually, it wouldn't have been that way. NewCath (as a #3 seed) would have gone to Raceland (a #2 seed) in the first round, then met Beechwood in the regional semifinals. Holy Cross and LCA would most likely have been the other semifinal.

In the end, Raceland probably benefitted from the playoff change as much as anyone ... instead of a first-round loss, they ended up with a district title.

Actually, it wouldn't have been that way. NewCath (as a #3 seed) would have gone to Raceland (a #2 seed) in the first round, then met Beechwood in the regional semifinals. Holy Cross and LCA would most likely have been the other semifinal.

In the end, Raceland probably benefitted from the playoff change as much as anyone ... instead of a first-round loss, they ended up with a district title.

You are right I forgot NCC was the #3 seed and HC was the #2 seed going into the playoffs...In the end the point I made is still true, because those matchups would have still been good and had good crowds! :thumb:

Here's something to toss around:

Of the 16 teams remaining we have

10- #1 seeds (62.5 %)

5- #2 seeds ( 31.3%)

1- #3 seeds ( 6.3 %)

0- #4 seeds (0%)

14- #1

2- #2

0- #3

0- #4

15- #1

0- #2

1- #3

0- #4

12 -#1

3- #2

1- #3

0- #4

14- #1

1- #2

1- #3

0- #4

Cumulative 2002-2005 (4 seasons)

55- #1 (86%)

6- #2 (9.4 %)

3- #3 (4.7%)

0- #4 (0%)

* All #3 seeds came from 4A

That's ok. We can agree to disagree. For every team in a traditionally strong district that dislikes it (and all of them don't agree one way or another even in those districts from the ones I have talked to) there is a team or teams in another district that does. It's (tournament format) probably something that you can never get better than 50% approval on. The school administrators wanted a change, less travel, etc., they got what they wanted, or at least they thought they wanted it. So let's watch it a year or two (especially in 2007 when smaller districts mean naturally more travel anyway since they are more spread out) and see if people like or don't...

What is the logic of drawing districts? You could have District 8 going to District 3 and traveling five hours. That would destroy all the savings from the first two rounds.

It's also going to take away some of the significance of regional championships because you could win Region 4 one year and Region 2 the next, for example, which also makes record keeping very difficult.

Obviously we have less #1 seeds and more #2 seeds this year with the new system. This HAS to be directly related with the second round rematch games IMO.
Maybe, maybe not. It could just be an anomaly. Just because B follows A doesn't necessarily mean that A causes B.

What is the logic of drawing districts? You could have District 8 going to District 3 and traveling five hours. That would destroy all the savings from the first two rounds.
I understand the KHSAA's rationale for the limited draw, but I just don't like it. If you're going to draw for the half of the field, I feel you should do it for the entire field.

It's also going to take away some of the significance of regional championships because you could win Region 4 one year and Region 2 the next, for example, which also makes record keeping very difficult.

You are better than that. Look at their web site. Here is the rotation Tell me when three plays 8. That's just smoke and mirrors to justify objection. From what I was told, the "draw" was only for 2006 and only to start a rotation.

The way I see it, there really are no regions anymore. The administrators, coaches, etc. had differing objectives, some wanting less travel, some wanting different pairings in rounds 3 and 4 (rotation, etc.) You can't have BOTH fixed regions and rotation of pairings in third and fourth rounds. It won't work and still meet all of their objectives.