Cincinnati Reds Offseason

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all they gotta do is find a CF and get this ball rolling....

What are they going to do with the OF's they already have? Puig has predominately been a right fielder. But, if you put him there, then Winker HAS to play left, correct? Which leaves Kemp for center? And what about Schebler? Is he strictly a late-inning defensive replacement for Winker? Then toss in the possibility of Senzel being out there.

I know it'd be nice to say package Kemp and Schebler together in a trade for one really good, young CF'er...but sometimes that's easier said than done.

What are they going to do with the OF's they already have? Puig has predominately been a right fielder. But, if you put him there, then Winker HAS to play left, correct? Which leaves Kemp for center? And what about Schebler? Is he strictly a late-inning defensive replacement for Winker? Then toss in the possibility of Senzel being out there.

I know it'd be nice to say package Kemp and Schebler together in a trade for one really good, young CF'er...but sometimes that's easier said than done.

I feel like Kemp needs to be odd man out, of the four outfielders.

This is one of the most impressive series of off season moves I can ever remember the Reds doing. Williams intimated it will be difficult to add a big contract after all of the moves they have made. It sounded unlikely we will see Pollock or Kluber here based on what I heard him he say on the radio.

Gray signs 3 year extension for the 2020-2022 seasons worth $30 mill. Option for 2023.

2019 - $7.5M

2020 - $10.167* (deal was $38M over 4 yrs.; annual splits not yet known; rumor is $10M per w/ $500k signing bonus)

2021 - $10.167*

2022 - $10.167*

2023 - $12M reported club option

I like the signing.

Jeter Downs was all we really lost.

Most prospect sites have Shed Long ranked a little higher than Jeter Downs.

So the Reds lost two prospects ranked in the 5-10 range in their farm system and both of them are 2nd basemen ranked lower than top prospect Senzel. Well done by the Reds.

Phillip Erwin in centerfield.

And sit which 2 of the following? Puig, Schebler, Winker & Kemp (not to mention Senzel if they decide he deserves to come up and can't crack the IF - which I don't think will be a problem before the All-Star break when some players might get moved even if the Reds have improved given that he is coming off an injury)

I'm OK with Kemp platooning some and using Erwin as a defensive replacement for him in some games he starts where it makes sense. However, you can't afford to add meaningful innings for Erwin into an already 4 for 3 OF positions logjam (assuming everyone stays healthy).

And sit which 2 of the following? Puig, Schebler, Winker & Kemp (not to mention Senzel if they decide he deserves to come up and can't crack the IF - which I don't think will be a problem before the All-Star break when some players might get moved even if the Reds have improved given that he is coming off an injury)

I'm OK with Kemp platooning some and using Erwin as a defensive replacement for him in some games he starts where it makes sense. However, you can't afford to add meaningful innings for Erwin into an already 4 for 3 OF positions logjam (assuming everyone stays healthy).

Winkler will play left and Puig play right. Kemp, if he is still here will platoon at best and that leaves Shebler or Erwin in center.

Looks like the Reds are probably out on AJ Pollack, per Ken Rosenthal on Twitter:

#Dodgers in agreement with free-agent outfielder A.J. Pollock, pending physical, sources tell The Athletic. Terms of deal not known.

$12 million per for 5 years is crazy for a 31 year old who has missed half his team's games the last 3 years, and has only played more than 140 games once in his career (2015). Seems like an amazing reach to me for the Dodgers.