Cincinnati Reds Offseason

Realmuto is the best catcher in the game. Tucker is probably 15-16th best. So an incredibly large gap.

Based on WAR Barnhart ranked #6 among catchers in 2018. Realmuto was #1.

No dog in the fight here, but thought that info was worth sharing. Realmuto's WAR of 4.8 over Barnhart's 1.1 says more about them than the ranking I believe, but to have Barnhart ranked 15-16th best is crazy. He is better than that.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on WAR Barnhart ranked #6 among catchers in 2018. Realmuto was #1.

No dog in the fight here, but thought that info was worth sharing. Realmuto's WAR of 4.8 over Barnhart's 1.1 says more about them than the ranking I believe, but to have Barnhart ranked 15-16th best is crazy. He is better than that.

He's not. I was using Fangraphs analysis. It takes the past 3 seasons for each player and uses that to analyze players. Realmuto is #1. Tucker comes in at #15. I'll find the link.

Sounds like the Reds are going to sign Derek Dietrich. He'll be a good bat off the bench and can fill in all over the place if needed to cover a short term injury. He's not good defensively at any of them but he can play 2B, 1B, 3B, LF and RF. Solid pickup.

Reds To Sign Derek Dietrich - MLB Trade Rumors

Ehhhh. I can't get excited about this one. Just can't see him getting that many AB's, without there being an injury. You're not going to pinch hit for Votto or Suarez, and the outfield is already cramped to begin with. So, that leaves 2B. If he was a RH batter, you could maybe see a switch for Scooter in certain situations...but, not as another lefty.

Ehhhh. I can't get excited about this one. Just can't see him getting that many AB's, without there being an injury. You're not going to pinch hit for Votto or Suarez, and the outfield is already cramped to begin with. So, that leaves 2B. If he was a RH batter, you could maybe see a switch for Scooter in certain situations...but, not as another lefty.

If they only carry 12 position players as expected they'd only have Schebler as a lefty off the bench. Even if they go with 13 you figure Casali, Blandino, Trahan, Ervin, Schebler/Kemp and Dietrich are the candidates for the bench. Only Schebler and Dietrich are LHs.

Don’t know why they did not go after Josh Harrison. Local guy, can play anywhere, hits well here and can lead off when in lineup.

Because he wouldn’t sign somewhere to be a utility guy who wasn’t in the lineup every day.

Just saw he's expected to sign a one-year deal with the Tigers.