Cincinnati Reds Offseason

$12 million per for 5 years is crazy for a 31 year old who has missed half his team's games the last 3 years, and has only played more than 140 games once in his career (2015). Seems like an amazing reach to me for the Dodgers.

They cut Carl Crawford with 35 million owed. The Dodger way.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Reds could not afford $4.5 millon for Wade Miley. He signed with the Astros.

You do realize that the players are the ones who decide where they sign, right?

The Reds may not have been interested in Miley. They may have offered him a better deal than Houston and he had no interest in Cincinnati.

The Reds have made more moves than pretty much any team in baseball this offseason, yet all some ever want to do is complain, complain, complain. :idunno:

The Reds may not have been interested in Miley. They may have offered him a better deal than Houston and he had no interest in Cincinnati.

The Reds have made more moves than pretty much any team in baseball this offseason, yet all some ever want to do is complain, complain, complain. :idunno:

Also possible that the Reds didn't see Miley worth 4.5 million, and if that was the case, I take their work for it. Seems like they have a pitching coach that would have a pretty good feel for where the guy may be headed.

For the first time in a long time I'm actually a little confident in the Reds trying to compete rather than simply being cheapskates.

Any recent rumors on Realmuto?

Would India, Senzel, Trammell, Greene or anyone else be "off limits" for you?

Marlins are claiming they won't allow extension discussions with Realmuto prior to trade. That really hamstrings potential parties as he is only under control for 2 years without an extension.

Can the Reds afford to keep Barnhart as a backup or does he need to be included in the deal?

Marlins would probably want Barnhart as part of the return package. They do not have a who lot of catching depth.

I would not give up Senzel, Trammell, Greene or Santillian in a trade for him. I'm ok with a package starting with India and Barnhart.

Not complaining as much as I want to win, win, win.

Maybe because they've given up a couple of really good prospects and, thus far, have only opened up a 1 year window in which they are still solidly no better than 3rd in the division. They're improved, sure, but they are no better than a wild card team with this roster.

Maybe because they've given up a couple of really good prospects and, thus far, have only opened up a 1 year window in which they are still solidly no better than 3rd in the division. They're improved, sure, but they are no better than a wild card team with this roster.

They gave up 2 prospects that were in the 8-9 range organizationally.

Both of whom are blocked by more well thought of prospects or young MLB talent.

They gave up 2 prospects that were in the 8-9 range organizationally.

Both of whom are blocked by more well thought of prospects or young MLB talent.

Oh I'm not disagreeing on the moves. They were solid. To this point, however, I think all they have done is give themselves a 1 year window to compete for a wildcard.

When your attendance drops to its lowest level since 1984, ownership reacts with money spent. The organic rebuild is still a few years away with Senzel, Trammel and Greene. Ownership wants people in the seats, I think they accomplished that this off-season, with low risk high upside investments.

While I don't disagree with you on where they finish, and wish they were set up via trades for more than the next year, I have to point out that baseball is the ultimate "hot streak" sport.

The 1997 Marlins, 2002 Angels, 2003 Marlins, 2004 Red Sox, and 2011 Cardinals all have one thing in common. They didn't win their division, but were hot when it mattered. These are only the teams that eventually won it all after being a wild card.

The 2000 Mets, 2002 Giants, 2005 Astros, 2006 Tigers, 2007 Rockies, 2014 Giants, and 2014 Royals are all content with not winning the division either, since they played in the World Series.

While I don't disagree with you on where they finish, and wish they were set up via trades for more than the next year, I have to point out that baseball is the ultimate "hot streak" sport.

The 1997 Marlins, 2002 Angels, 2003 Marlins, 2004 Red Sox, and 2011 Cardinals all have one thing in common. They didn't win their division, but were hot when it mattered. These are only the teams that eventually won it all after being a wild card.

The 2000 Mets, 2002 Giants, 2005 Astros, 2006 Tigers, 2007 Rockies, 2014 Giants, and 2014 Royals are all content with not winning the division either, since they played in the World Series.

I think that only 2 of those teams, however, made it to the World Series in the current one game play in mode, correct?