Covington Catholic 73 Scott County 55 (Sweet 16 Championship)

So Ruthsatz is now the greatest coach in NKY history? Two state championships and a final four in seven years! Heard a coach once say it isn’t about the Xs and the Os but the Jimmys and the Joes. I agree that players make a difference but Ruthsatz could go across the street at the girls school and win a regional tommorrow. He’s that good of a coach. While he develops these kids In confident that Covington Catholic could play Fern Creek And Scotty County this weekend and the coaches could switch sides and Ruthsatz will Beat you. He will win with his guys and he can beat you with your guys. Just a fact he’s on a run that NKY has never seen.

There was a thread started a couple years back debating if CCH was on the verge of the greatest basketball dynasty in NKY history. Thread was considered premature at the time. It's not now, seems like it was prescient.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i am dead serious. I certainly understand why they do as I have been around basketball long enough, but I dont like it. I also understand that it has worked for them. (And am extremely happy it did) However, looking at yesterday for example.

1) They were able to trap our PG a few times to force turnovers, but SC was unable to capitalize. If they had turned those into points it could have been a different game.

2) If SC was able to exchange 3's for 2 FT attempts, it could have been a different game. The lead was only 9 pts if I remember to start the fourth, so it would not take many of these 2 for 3 exchanges to get it close.

3) We only had IMO two guys who if I was coach would be handling the ball in this situation. One of which got in trouble several times and had to either call time out or he turned it over. SC was very aggressive in their trapping defense and if they had played a bit more under control the outcome could have been different. IMO SC paniced way too early.

Again, I understand why the Colonels did what they did and of course the good thing is they came out on top once again!

State Champs!

So Ruthsatz is now the greatest coach in NKY history? I agree that players make a difference but Ruthsatz could go across the street at the girls school and win a regional tommorrow. He’s that good of a coach. While he develops these kids In confident that Covington Catholic could play Fern Creek And Scotty County this weekend and the coaches could switch sides and Ruthsatz will Beat you. He will win with his guys and he can beat you with your guys.

Agree that Scott Ruthsatz, and his coaching staff, do a tremendous job at CovCath. Some coaches are better fits at one school as opposed to another. He has 600 boys to choose from, and has a superior feeder grade school program that provides him and CovCath with high-potential players. These kids buy into the CovCath system, work hard, allow themselves to be "coached up", become a cohesive unit, develop a winning mentality, play a tough schedule and succeed.

Whether he would be equally as successful at Scott County, Fern Creek, or across the street at Notre Dame is debatable. I will say this - IF the players would "Buy In" at the lower level, put in the hours that some of the Colonels put in, have team-mates that are equally as committed, then Ruthsatz would be able to put them in a position where they would maximize their talents and abilities, and then therefore their ability to get the most out of what they have, which could well equate to winning at the highest level.

Some of us are blessed to have players walk through the front door that possess the talent and ability to become champions. Others of us have to develop it. Some coaches depend on talented kids to form his team from year to year, and the depth of that talent determines the success rate.

We all hope that our coaches put our players and teams in the best possible position to maximize the talent on hand. Those that do, overachieve. Those that don't underachieve.

Scott Ruthsatz has shown his ability to produce successful teams/programs at CovCath. Whether cloning him and placing a clone in each of the KHSAA schools might give each of those schools a "leg-up" that they might not presently possess, some would respond favorably and others not. Probably over 50% of the Ruthsatz clones would resign in frustration over the expectations and work ethics of those he has been thrust upon. Different strokes for different folks - the same applies to schools, basketball programs, and coaches.

Edited by Mustang

I became sick with flu like symptoms and had to miss the Saturday semifinals and the championship game Saturday, I suppose shaking hands with people did it. Probably should have used the fist touch greeting instead, lol.

But the games that I were able to watch Covington Catholic made an impression. They are like a machine and well coached.

Congratulations to them on their state championship.

Leesburg finished undefeated and won 6A (3rd largest class - 1600 to 2000 kids).

Florida Prep got knocked out in 2A.

Leesburg ended the year 30-1 and won the 4th largest class in Fl, but was arguably the 2nd best team in Fl, behind Montverde. Oak Ridge and Ely the 9A & 8A state champs could argue, but I'd take Leesburg. 2 GREAT TEAMS in Leesburg and CC. Would pay to watch them play a best of 7.

Yes i am dead serious. I certainly understand why they do as I have been around basketball long enough, but I dont like it. I also understand that it has worked for them. (And am extremely happy it did) However, looking at yesterday for example.

1) They were able to trap our PG a few times to force turnovers, but SC was unable to capitalize. If they had turned those into points it could have been a different game.

2) If SC was able to exchange 3's for 2 FT attempts, it could have been a different game. The lead was only 9 pts if I remember to start the fourth, so it would not take many of these 2 for 3 exchanges to get it close.

3) We only had IMO two guys who if I was coach would be handling the ball in this situation. One of which got in trouble several times and had to either call time out or he turned it over. SC was very aggressive in their trapping defense and if they had played a bit more under control the outcome could have been different. IMO SC paniced way too early.

Again, I understand why the Colonels did what they did and of course the good thing is they came out on top once again!

If SC had scored more points then CCH it would have been a different outcome.

I like the crazies and I'm gonna go out on a limb by saying I really can't blame you for finding them very annoying. They are very domineering, and although that's typical of passionate fans; I can see why someone not rooting for CCH would find them very, very annoying from an opposing fan's perspective.

In this era of declining student attendance and support, it is great that the crazies have become a thing that gets CCH kids to games and involved. I like their enthusiasm, creativity and support for their team. However, I know people who will not go to Cov Cath games because they find the crazies too annoying.

There was a thread started a couple years back debating if CCH was on the verge of the greatest basketball dynasty in NKY history. Thread was considered premature at the time. It's not now, seems like it was prescient.

I'm a genius. We can all finally admit to it. I knew what I saw from their middle schools at the time on top of what was already at the high school. I DID NOT see Frederick being that good.

It is closed, but this was the thread if you'd like to search it.

Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Added in hyperlink to 9th Region thread.

I'm a genius. We can all finally admit to it. I knew what I saw from their middle schools at the time on top of what was already at the high school. I DID NOT see Frederick being that good.

It is closed, but this was the thread if you'd like to search it.

Is CovCath on the verge of the Greatest 9th Region Dynasty Ever?

That was a joke for those that aren't sensing the sarcasm.