Covington Catholic 53 Cooper 49 (9th Region Semifinals)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final per update thread from BB&T Arena. Cov. Cath will take on Dixie Heights Monday night for the 9th Region Championship

Monday night is really just a formality as CovCath won the region tonight.

I hate to see this rivalry with this particular bunch of players end. I don't see it being duplicated for a few years. So much good defense being played by both teams. Glad to see CJ and AK giving respect to each other late in the game and in the post-game. I'm going to miss watching those two next season.

Coach Ruthsatz out coached Coach Sullivan when he went to the Box and 1. Cooper had no answer for it!

I thought Cooper played the box and 1 fine. They got wide open 3s from it. They just happened to miss 4 of them.

I was surprised Runyon missed those 2 clutch 3s that he usually drains.

Cooper had no answer for the box and 1

Coach Ruthsatz out coached Coach Sullivan when he went to the Box and 1. Cooper had no answer for it!

I don't know how you can say he got out coached. The best player in the region Kunkel was having a great 3rd quarter and Covcath decided they needed to make someone else beat them. Covcath made Kunkel have to give the ball up and other guys had to shoot. They got open shots in the box and 1, but they didn't fall. It's not being out coached. It's just Covcath decided to make someone else have to beat them and it worked, but it's not like Cooper didn't get good looks out of it. It was a good decision by Covcath, but I wouldn't say out coached when they still got open looks.

I hate to see this rivalry with this particular bunch of players end. I don't see it being duplicated for a few years. So much good defense being played by both teams. Glad to see CJ and AK giving respect to each other late in the game and in the post-game. I'm going to miss watching those two next season.

No doubt two great players.

No answer is probably not the right choice of words but it changed the game. Don't recall Cooper setting any picks to get Nowak off Kunkel. Kunkel was setting picks but don't think they set anything to spring him open. Sure they got open looks but isn't that what CovCath was giving up by going to the box and 1. Kunkel had 16 when they went to the defense and finished with 18.

I’m a huge CCH guy. I will say that AK and his supporting staff gave CCH everything they could handle. I knew it would be low scoring b/c of how good both D’s were. Glad to see a Colonel win but just wanted to say if Cooper was in any other district they would have won 9 out of 10 times in the finals. Keep your head held high Cooper! Great season. Colonels...... Move forward “With A Spirit That Will Not Die”

Let’s move on from the out coached line of thinking, it was a 4 point game, both are top notch coaches. Runion who couldn’t miss in the quarterfinal just didn’t knock down looks, nor did Houston. It happens, but they had numerous open looks off play designs. 4 points is on the floor execution and hitting open looks not being out coached.