Covington Catholic 53 Cooper 49 (9th Region Semifinals)

I give credit to the Jags. They are not a top 5 team in the state for nothing.

1) Great defense by Cooper. The defensive pressure from the guards make it very difficult to make clean entry passes to the low post.

2) Great defense by Cooper. When Walter did get the ball down low, Cooper was quick to double team. Walter would have to come away from the basket to allow windows for entry passes. Walter is not as effective 8 feet from the basket as he is from 4.

3) Game plan. Walter was not the focal point of the offense tonight. Hard to fault the coaching staff as the game was won.

Fair points, but I would counter that every pass in that game was contested. That is not an exaggeration. Virtually every pass in that game was contested. That is the way Cooper plays defense. But, look how hard they worked to get the ball to Frederick. They couldn't do that for Walter when he had an 8 inch or more height advantage on the player guarding him? If nothing else, pass it in to Walter and let him kick it back out to the CCH shooters for open jump shots when Cooper doubled down on him.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought some big plays that no one is mentioning are;

AJ getting 2 quick fouls in the 1st

Adam's spin move in the 1st...I thought he was in the act of shooting but called on the floor

3rd quarter Cov Cath went to Jake, he missed both opportunities from very close (got fouled once)

Adam making a 3 in the 3rd and pointing to the Crazies

McNeal's turnover in the 4th that CJ picked off. Big play in my opinion as Cooper was still in it

Finally, Adam putting his arm around McNeal after the TO, showed true leadership

I dont have a bone to pick with either team, I picked Cov Cath to win cause of their bench. I thought Adam was the best athlete on the floor and his ability to get to the basket was impressive. The Cooper kids played tough, played with emotion even when down. Ruthsatz played well and got to the basket a couple times too, but his free throws iced it.

NKY Tribune article touches on some points made earlier in this thread:

“We had good shots and they just didn’t fall, and that’s what it all boiled down to,” said Cooper coach Tim Sullivan.

CovCath did all of its scoring at the free throw line in the fourth quarter, hitting 17 of 20 attempts. Ruthsatz made eight of those foul shots to finish with a team-high 18 points.

The fourth quarter free throw stats are a bit misleading. Cooper was playing from behind and fouling a lot the last half of the quarter trying to get back in range. With no shot clock, against a good ball handling team you have to foul and hope they miss free throws. Ruthsatz handles the ball so he is going to get fouled.

What were the stats from the line for both teams. Cov Catholic getting in the bonus early in the second half was a big key in the game. Both teams were struggling to score due to the great defense being played so getting on the foul line for non shooting fouls was key.

Cooper 10/13

CCH 24/28

Adam's spin move in the 1st...I thought he was in the act of shooting but called on the floor

3rd quarter Cov Cath went to Jake, he missed both opportunities from very close (got fouled once)

McNeal's turnover in the 4th that CJ picked off. Big play in my opinion as Cooper was still in it

Finally, Adam putting his arm around McNeal after the TO, showed true leadership

I dont have a bone to pick with either team, I picked Cov Cath to win cause of their bench. I thought Adam was the best athlete on the floor and his ability to get to the basket was impressive. The Cooper kids played tough, played with emotion even when down. Ruthsatz played well and got to the basket a couple times too, but his free throws iced it.

That is the main thing I'll remember from this game. The finality of a high school career comes so swift this time of the year. Adam showed maturity, leadership and what being a teammate is all about. I wish him nothing but the best in his future career and wish all the seniors well in the future.

That was the play that ended Cooper's hopes. McNeill had an open lane but threw the pass out to an open shooter in the corner for a 3. Frederick read that play and made a very nice steal on the pass. Cooper was down 5 with perhaps 1:30 to go at that point. If they hit that 3 pointer and get it to a 2 point game that changes a lot of things. But, as Sullivan said, Cooper had open 3 point looks on several occasions and just could not get the shots to fall. So who knows if that 3 pointer would have even been made.

By NFHS rules, slapping the backboard may be whistled for a technical foul if in the judgement of the official it is done in a purposeful way to shake the basket, effect the rim, etc.,. Slapping the backboard is not in and of itself a goaltending call or a basket interference call.

Fair points, but I would counter that every pass in that game was contested. That is not an exaggeration. Virtually every pass in that game was contested. That is the way Cooper plays defense. But, look how hard they worked to get the ball to Frederick. They couldn't do that for Walter when he had an 8 inch or more height advantage on the player guarding him? If nothing else, pass it in to Walter and let him kick it back out to the CCH shooters for open jump shots when Cooper doubled down on him.

Don't disagree other to say good entry passes seem to be a lost art in today's get up and down the court game.

Don't disagree other to say good entry passes seem to be a lost art in today's get up and down the court game.

Good entry pass last night required one skill - throw the ball high. Cooper was guarding 7'1" Walter with a 6' tall player on a number or occasions.

Sorry to beat the point but the same thing happened last year in the regional title game. Ruthsatz didn't use Walter versus Cooper and CCH lost that game.

But, I will move off this point as there was much more to that game than this. It was a very good game. I could watch these two teams play every night. They play so hard, with discipline and skill. Great high school basketball to watch.

The thing that really makes these teams so good and so much fun for me to watch is the defense. They both play great defense. It makes every shot and every possession in the game extremely important because both teams play like every possession is the key possession in the game.

Good entry pass last night required one skill - throw the ball high. Cooper was guarding 7'1" Walter with a 6' tall player on a number or occasions.

Sorry to beat the point but the same thing happened last year in the regional title game. Ruthsatz didn't use Walter versus Cooper and CCH lost that game.

But, I will move off this point as there was much more to that game than this. It was a very good game. I could watch these two teams play every night. They play so hard, with discipline and skill. Great high school basketball to watch.

It's more than throw the ball high. The low post player has to be in position to do something with the ball once he has it. The difference between Walter with the ball at 8 feet from the basket and 4 feet from the basket is great. I didn't see many sets where Walter had a defender pinned on his hip where he could make his spin to the basket while the guard had an open look to get him the ball. I credit Cooper's defense and move on. The Jags were trying mightily to win the game too.

I need someone to fresh my memory on the sequence.

Runion drove to the basket. Wasn't there a whistle on the play and THEN Kunkel went up? Was there a foul called against CCH? Was it a shooting foul? I ask because I went back to listen to the Covington Catholic broadcast and there were no foul shots for Cooper. I seem to remember him getting fouled on the drive.

Is Cooper and CCH gonna be as dominant in the 9th next year. There both loosing a lot of talent?

Neither will be as talented as they are this year or in previous years. However, the 9th sadly is still going to be down - hopefully not as far down as it was this year - so these two will still probably be at the top.