Doss at Corbin (2/10/18) - Controversy

Trust me, Knox Central is treated much better in Corbin than Corbin is treated there, and it's been that way for many years and will be for years to come.

As far as Doss not coming, not sure why they made that choice. Do teams have to pay a fee to get out of a game?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Doss not coming, not sure why they made that choice. Do teams have to pay a fee to get out of a game?

It all depends on what the contract says and if they choose to enforce it. I've been party to both ends of cancelled games and each situation is different.

I'm not sure I understand what they would be risking?:idunno:

If for whatever reason one of those kids at Doss loses control of their emotions for any reason then all hell breaks lose. Next thing you know there is yet another racial incident in Corbin and kids are sitting out for two games. A smart coach wouldn’t put his team in a potentially volatile situation if it isn’t necessary. If I have a team full of athletes I am not playing in Corbin on their home court in their town. We’ll see you in Rupp if you want to play would be my answer.

If for whatever reason one of those kids at Doss loses control of their emotions for any reason then all hell breaks lose. Next thing you know there is yet another racial incident in Corbin and kids are sitting out for two games. A smart coach wouldn’t put his team in a potentially volatile situation if it isn’t necessary. If I have a team full of athletes I am not playing in Corbin on their home court in their town. We’ll see you in Rupp if you want to play would be my answer.

Agreed. Not worth the risk.

Yep, kids are emotional....no need in taking this risk right around district tourney time....a two game suspension could be crucial. The fact that this is even at this point is absolutely saddening.

But there has never, at least in my recollection, been any type of incident like you are mentioning happen at Corbin. :banghead:

But there has never, at least in my recollection, been any type of incident like you are mentioning happen at Corbin. :banghead:

You are completely missing the point. I’m a black man. I deal with racism everyday whether people want to believe it or not. Corbin had a reputation BEFORE that video came out. These kids and coaches at Doss know these same things I know about Corbin and have their own opinions about Corbin just as I do. Now, as has been proven high school basketball games can be highly emotional for the players, coaches, parents, fans and referees. Every single game has folks feeling like the refs are out to get them and as we all know trash talk is going to happen. Now, as soon as someone or a group of people from Doss feel like they are being treated unfairly in Corbin can you predict how things will turn out?

You are completely missing the point. I’m a black man. I deal with racism everyday whether people want to believe it or not. Corbin had a reputation BEFORE that video came out. These kids and coaches at Doss know these same things I know about Corbin and have their own opinions about Corbin just as I do. Now, as has been proven high school basketball games can be highly emotional for the players, coaches, parents, fans and referees. Every single game has folks feeling like the refs are out to get them and as we all know trash talk is going to happen. Now, as soon as someone or a group of people from Doss feel like they are being treated unfairly in Corbin can you predict how things will turn out?

I see your point now, and maybe it's for the best at this particular time. I guess I just have a hard time comprehending these types of feelings because I have not experienced it. I cannot understand what difference it makes someone's race, religion, etc., guess I am just a simple minded person.

What do we need to do to change these perceptions though? We sure don't need people from other areas disliking us, Lord knows a large percentage of the people surrounding us do.

I see your point now, and maybe it's for the best at this particular time. I guess I just have a hard time comprehending these types of feelings because I have not experienced it. I cannot understand what difference it makes someone's race, religion, etc., guess I am just a simple minded person.

What do we need to do to change these perceptions though? We sure don't need people from other areas disliking us, Lord knows a large percentage of the people surrounding us do.

I’m honestly not sure. They say time heals all wounds but I am not certain that I believe that in its entirety anymore. I do think there will be a time when a school like Doss will come down to Corbin to play but i definitely understand completely for them to make the decision to not come down at this current time.

I just don't think the timing was right for this game to be played. The video went viral in a hurry. Everyone knows the individual in the video and there would be a heightened sense of playing hard against him in Corbin. Emotions would be very high and no one would be able to predict what would happen next.

John Hardin's varsity team dresses 11 players...only 2 are white, and neither of them get major minutes on the floor. We are not a Louisville city school and we've played in a lot of places across the state. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the kids on that team have experienced numerous occasions of being called names other that the ones that their parents gave them. The elephant is always in the room when we play at places where the other team is predominately white. The atmosphere is always on edge and at times volatile. On that same token we have played in places with predominately white players and have been treated with the utmost of respect and class. Corbin's issue is there is a reputation about the school that has now been coupled with the face of the basketball program in a video that is appalling. Combined with a lot of "trying to justify" it.

Trust me, Knox Central is treated much better in Corbin than Corbin is treated there, and it's been that way for many years and will be for years to come.

VERY true. If Corbin had a scheduled game at Knox Central next week, there is no way that the Corbin kids could go into that place.

NEVER that I remember. Ask Dorman (SC) what they think of coming to Corbin. If they had had a bad experience, would they have come back year after year to play in the Falls Invitational? The Dorman kids loved coming to Corbin.

Edited by Science Friction

I think an opportunity was missed here. Picture this. Doss comes to Corbin. Pre-game press conference with both coaches together.The host school's coach says how pleased he is to have such a quality school, outstanding team, and quality bunch of kids come down to play in the Petrey Classic. On behalf of the host school, the Corbin coach presents the Doss coach with a $1,000 check to be donated to a charity benefiting inner-city kids in Louisville. Prior to the beginning of the game, the two teams meet at center court in one of those prayer circle thingys, a Corbin player, Doss player, Corbin player, Doss player, each white hand clasping a black hand. Twitter, Facebook, post it all over social media... viral videos of the racial harmony kind . It could be a pretty powerful message to all involved. Again, I think both schools missed an opportunity.