Drew Rom in PBR Super 60 Pro Showcase

MJ23

He is definitely a great player and probably the exception to what I’m getting ready to say. However, the PBR Rankings are not at all accurate. You have kids in the top ten at their position when they aren’t even the top ten on their team. This whole situation where kids are having to pay the PBR in order to be ranked is an extremely flawed system. I understand that in the beginning they were trying to make money, but at this point I would think accuracy would trump monetary value. You have kids going around claiming to college coaches that they are one of the top players in the state. In reality, they are one of the top players out of a group that have memberships on PBR. How is that setting up colleges to accurately evaluate them?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether its a flawed system or not, PBR & Perfect Game are the only two venues that these High School kids have in order to be seen by college coaches. Yes, its pay for play. I've seen the the number of schools at Grand Park in Indy lined with college coaches from coast to coast. If someone's son is fortunate enough to be selected to a Team Kentucky or whoever, they will be seen. These coaches are not coming to your local high school to watch kids play. These kids can build a resume for themselves with rankings, (even if they aren't the 5th or 6th best person on their local high school team), and still be seen. I've seen firsthand kids get offers to D2 and smaller D1 schools just through the PBR process. While the same high school team that had the so called 2nd or 3rd best player not get solid offers.

He is definitely a great player and probably the exception to what I’m getting ready to say. However, the PBR Rankings are not at all accurate. You have kids in the top ten at their position when they aren’t even the top ten on their team. This whole situation where kids are having to pay the PBR in order to be ranked is an extremely flawed system. I understand that in the beginning they were trying to make money, but at this point I would think accuracy would trump monetary value. You have kids going around claiming to college coaches that they are one of the top players in the state. In reality, they are one of the top players out of a group that have memberships on PBR. How is that setting up colleges to accurately evaluate them?

Agree 100% and well said,...as a parent of a player with a PBR and other site memberships you have to keep an open mind and be realistic. At one point my son was ranked by PBR as a top 10 Catcher for 2018 having never played an inning of varsity baseball. Was I proud my son was ranked?..yes, but was it realistic to think he was really in the top 10...NO. People don't take into consideration the # of kids who don't do PBR or other events...and how they rank the players boggles my mind at times..it should not matter who you play summer baseball for but it's pretty easy to see it does have an affect. PBR helped my son but so did Champions Fall League, Bluegrass Baseball experience...etc. There are many ways to get noticed. IF your going to have rankings they should be based on player ability during evaluations only...I personally don't think the schools care who is ranked 1, 10 or 100...I think that's a tool to get parents to attend more events so they can see little Johnny move up..

Edited by WillCoach44

Whether its a flawed system or not, PBR & Perfect Game are the only two venues that these High School kids have in order to be seen by college coaches. Yes, its pay for play. I've seen the the number of schools at Grand Park in Indy lined with college coaches from coast to coast. If someone's son is fortunate enough to be selected to a Team Kentucky or whoever, they will be seen. These coaches are not coming to your local high school to watch kids play. These kids can build a resume for themselves with rankings, (even if they aren't the 5th or 6th best person on their local high school team), and still be seen. I've seen firsthand kids get offers to D2 and smaller D1 schools just through the PBR process. While the same high school team that had the so called 2nd or 3rd best player not get solid offers.

I completely agree they benefit from PBR. Nobody can say otherwise. Just based on getting your name out there is better than nothing. The only thing I am saying is that if you are going to claim to have a ranking system, then be able to rank these kids accurately and by using the entire pool of players in the state. They are already getting paid by the players to have profiles. So why not take a step back and do the rankings correctly? I would think the players would want that as well. I’ve seen several examples over the years of players signing with major division 1 programs, however, they cannot make the PBR list. They would be better off not having one at all. You are right though, until somebody else steps-up and launches a new way, this and PG are your only options to get any kind of rankings.

You are correct. They would be better off not having a ranking system all together. But, as long as parents continue to pay $185 a pop for a Saturday showcase at 90 kids a head, PBR will have these every weekend. This is a nice ROI for them. Still, the kids who get spotted by the bigger summer league teams are the ones seriously getting looked at by higher DI schools. They are going to the Atlanta's, and Jupiters of the world to find their players, yet, PBR and PG are just venues to get them started. The parents with the deepest pockets are getting the above average players on schools radars.

I'm probably the odd man out with my comments but I don't mind the $200 fee's to a PBR event a couple times a year. I have to spend $300-$500 for a new bat every other year, $350 for a new glove, $200 for new spikes and turf cleats every other year, at least $100 on batting gloves for the season, plus $1000-$2500 ( depending on your team) in Summer Team fees. But I'm also a realist. My son isn't going to play for Vandy or UK. If i can spend $1000-$1200 over 3 years on PBR showcases to get him on a lower level D-1,D-2,D-3 or NAIA schools radar and they want to pay for part of his college expences I think I'm getting a good ROI.

He can be #7 or #107, if the school sees him and they think he can help their program, he will get a call.

I'm probably the odd man out with my comments but I don't mind the $200 fee's to a PBR event a couple times a year. I have to spend $300-$500 for a new bat every other year, $350 for a new glove, $200 for new spikes and turf cleats every other year, at least $100 on batting gloves for the season, plus $1000-$2500 ( depending on your team) in Summer Team fees. But I'm also a realist. My son isn't going to play for Vandy or UK. If i can spend $1000-$1200 over 3 years on PBR showcases to get him on a lower level D-1,D-2,D-3 or NAIA schools radar and they want to pay for part of his college expences I think I'm getting a good ROI.

He can be #7 or #107, if the school sees him and they think he can help their program, he will get a call.

We thought the same on a camp. We figured if we spend 700 on a weekend for the travel food lodging and the camp and he walks away with an offer to go play ball then that was a great ROI.

We were right took the leap and the offer came.

We thought the same on a camp. We figured if we spend 700 on a weekend for the travel food lodging and the camp and he walks away with an offer to go play ball then that was a great ROI.

We were right took the leap and the offer came.

Camps are a little more risky. Most of the time it’s only that school getting a look at the player where as multiple schools can see a player at a PBR event.

Camps are a little more risky. Most of the time it’s only that school getting a look at the player where as multiple schools can see a player at a PBR event.

Agree with you. PBR has been a good thing for a lot of players. Funny thing kids think since they get an offer that the parents are off the hook and don’t understand that some of the money from offer has been paid in advance by all the camps travel ball and events.

What's the 9th region record for the number of D1 pitchers on one staff ?

How many will Highlands have when all is said and done? 3? 4?

I’m sure it’s very rare. I had a cousin who played on 2000 CCH team. They had Harmon, Durr, Kunkel and Maynard who went D1 although Durr was not primarily a pitcher but was said to have touched 90. Also had Fry (sp? ) and Hembree who pitched college ball as well. Think a couple of JV guys that year also pitched college. Had Grogan at ss who played D1 as well.

Parents need to be careful and not fall into the Camps vs. Showcases trap...I'm not saying all of the camps are this way but many are used as fund raisers for the program vs. really looking for actual prospects (not saying it can't happen) but why pay $250+ to go to a school where only that staff sees you vs. a showcase where more schools are present. What's funny about these camps is how many parents tell me "Little Johnny got an offer from D1U" and I'm like "congrats, what was the offer"?...."Well, they've sent him a letter asking him to come to their camp in Arizona...they must really want him", and they really believe their son is the only one getting this form letter so they start telling people their son is being recruited by D1 schools.

Edited by WillCoach44

I'm not claiming to be an expert but my son is a senior who recently committed and we've been through the whole process so I would recommend only doing showcases where an actual game(s) is played as those tend to draw more schools and attending camps where other schools may be there to assist. I know early on we did a UK camp and there were numerous coaches from smaller NAIA, D2, D3 helping out at the camp. Going to a showcase in the middle of winter to throw 15 pitches and leave or take 15 swings, throw 5 balls from SS and run a 60 doesn't draw as well as game play.