Kentucky License Plate Question (Toll Bridge Related)

woodsrider

I thought they were illegal in KY.

Never had a cop tell me to take it off.

They are illegal. I’ve only had 1 person remove one though. But his was so blatantly tinted that I had to literally shine my flashlight on it from about 5 feet away.

186.170 Display of registration plates, insignia -- Decals to cover corporation trademark -- Registration years.

(1) Except as provided in this subsection and in KRS 186.045, the owner shall have the receipt issued by the cabinet through the county clerk constantly in his possession, and shall display the registration plate conspicuously upon the rear of the motor vehicle, except that the registration plate upon a semitrailer-tractor shall be displayed upon the front of the tractor. The owner's copy, or a reproduced copy thereof, of the registration receipt of every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, licensed under KRS 186.050 shall be kept in the vehicle at all times and shall be available for inspection. Plates shall be kept legible at all times and the rear plate shall be illuminated when being operated during the hours designated in KRS 189.030. No rim, frame, or other covering around the plate shall in any way obscure or cover any lettering or decal on the plate; except that, any owner who objects to the display of a trademark of a private corporation which appears on the registration plate shall be entitled to receive a set of decals from the county clerk in his county of residence to cover the trademark of the private corporation. The owner may apply for the decal by presenting his certificate of registration either at the time of registration renewal or later. The county clerk shall charge a three dollar ($3) clerk's fee for issuing the decal set if it is applied for a time other than at registration renewal. If the cabinet has prescribed that plates shall continue in use, it shall each year, in addition to the registration receipt, select and give to the owner as further evidence of registration some insignia which may conveniently be attached permanently and conspicuously to the motor vehicle during each registration year. It shall be the duty of the owner to attach the insignia in the prescribed manner and no person may operate a motor vehicle unless the insignia is affixed upon it. The cabinet shall have placed on the insignia either figures, letters, writing, marks, or a combination thereof, which indicate that the motor vehicle has been registered and which in conjunction with the records of the cabinet make identity of the registrant readily ascertainable.

(2) The registration year for commercial vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, mobile homes, and recreational vehicles shall be from April 1 to March 31.

(3) At the discretion of the vehicle owner, the title to a motor vehicle may be held in the system and subsequently printed and mailed to the owner at the owner's request.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why is Woodsrider getting $60 bills for tolls in Texas? Blowing tolls, aka, just skipping them and going through the fast pass lanes.

Some tolled areas have no way to pay them unless you have previously purchased a transmitter that is linked to your bank account. I have experienced these in Florida. There is no toll booth whatsoever. I believe that it is the same scenerio in Louisville on the I-65 bridges. If you are out of state and not aware that this is a tolled bridge ahead of time there is no way that you can pay the toll as there is not booth. You just have to cross the bridge and wait for the ticket which in the case of the Florida tolls seems to take 4 to 6 months to arrive.

Some tolled areas have no way to pay them unless you have previously purchased a transmitter that is linked to your bank account. I have experienced these in Florida. There is no toll booth whatsoever. I believe that it is the same scenerio in Louisville on the I-65 bridges. If you are out of state and not aware that this is a tolled bridge ahead of time there is no way that you can pay the toll as there is not booth. You just have to cross the bridge and wait for the ticket which in the case of the Florida tolls seems to take 4 to 6 months to arrive.

I’ve never seen that before. Just seems sleezy

I’ve never seen that before. Just seems sleezy

Two of the bridges in Louisville have no actual booths. There are signs warning that a toll bridge is ahead. If you cross regularly it is best to get a riverlink transponder that goes on your windshield. You can load funds through their website and it costs $2.05 each time you cross. If you do not have a transponder cameras will get your license plate and mail you an invoice. It is currently $4.10 each way I believe without a transponder.

Then why is Woodsrider getting $60 bills for tolls in Texas? Blowing tolls, aka, just skipping them and going through the fast pass lanes.

People either have some sort of transponder, or it is controlled via camera. If you have a transponder, it detects it and deducts it from your prepaid account. If not, you get a bill. Much better than toll booths or fast pass lanes.