Political Demographics

Hearsay

I guess, if you are looking for a predictor, that's as good as any.

But I don't think it is a conscious decision on the part of the electorate. I'm not registered as a Democrat because I'm single, nor am I single because I'm registered Dem.

It's just one variable in a larger equation.

But, Jim, you have to ask yourself, why is it that so many of certain identifiable groups register as Democrats and certain other identifiable groups register as Republicans? I think, from an evidentiary standpoint, it is plausible that the values that singles, students, gays, etc. find most important they find represented by the Democratic Party, and the values that married couples, people with children, and church-goers find most important they find represented by the Republican Party.

For one full year on this site, Frances has put quotation marks around "family values" and challenged anyone on here to define it. Empirically, this is about as close to an answer as I can come up with.

But, Jim, you have to ask yourself, why is it that so many of certain identifiable groups register as Democrats and certain other identifiable groups register as Republicans? I think, from an evidentiary standpoint, it is plausible that the values that singles, students, gays, etc. find most important they find represented by the Democratic Party, and the values that married couples, people with children, and church-goers find most important they find represented by the Republican Party.

For one full year on this site, Frances has put quotation marks around "family values" and challenged anyone on here to define it. Empirically, this is about as close to an answer as I can come up with.

I registered as a Democrat because my parents were registered as a Democrat.

In fact, my parents told me that my grandparents would roll over in their graves if they knew I had voted for President Bush twice.

Interesting article. I wonder if age comes into play here at all. For example, perhaps the single people referred to in this article are younger (by and large) than their married counterparts. Many times, people tend to be more liberal when they are young and slowly become more conservative as they age and raise families.

Interesting article. I wonder if age comes into play here at all. For example, perhaps the single people referred to in this article are younger (by and large) than their married counterparts. Many times, people tend to be more liberal when they are young and slowly become more conservative as they age and raise families.

I prefer to think of this as gaining wisdom.:D

I'm 50, have been married for almost 28 years, have two children, and have worked at the same place for 27 years. I'm straight.

I'm also a liberal Democrat (I'm sure that comes as a shock to some on this Board:D ) who is pro-choice and pro death penalty.

There are always exceptions; although it makes sense that Republicans en masse would be older and wealthier than Democrats. It doesn't surprise me at all that folks who tend to be disenfranchised (gay, for example) also tend to be single and are registered as Democrats.