Reds @ Pirates (8/1-8/3)

Winker is exactly what you need at the top of the order. He's just a pure hitter with a great feel at the plate. Glad to see him no longer rotting away in AAA. Hopefully when Schebler returns he is given a bench role.

Welsh made a good point last night, saying that there's no "book" on Winker yet. Once the league figures out what his weakness is, you can bet they're going to try to exploit it. We'll see then how good of a hitter he is then, by his adjustments. Obviously I wish him luck, but I'm not ready to pencil him in for right field for the next 5 years just based upon 2 games.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welsh made a good point last night, saying that there's no "book" on Winker yet. Once the league figures out what his weakness is, you can bet they're going to try to exploit it. We'll see then how good of a hitter he is then, by his adjustments. Obviously I wish him luck, but I'm not ready to pencil him in for right field for the next 5 years just based upon 2 games.

Yeah pencil Schebler right back in there, they haven't figured him out yet either. I understand what Welsh is saying and there is a lot to that but Winker has done everything the Reds have asked him to do and his "obp" is his "obp". Isn't it about time that the kid gets a real chance to show whether he is ready for this level or not. We all know that money and the clock is the reason they are leaving him at AAA but when do you finally give the kid a chance to fail or not?

Yeah pencil Schebler right back in there, they haven't figured him out yet either. I understand what Welsh is saying and there is a lot to that but Winker has done everything the Reds have asked him to do and his "obp" is his "obp". Isn't it about time that the kid gets a real chance to show whether he is ready for this level or not. We all know that money and the clock is the reason they are leaving him at AAA but when do you finally give the kid a chance to fail or not?

Cool your jets. I'm fine with giving him a chance. And no where will you find me saying Schebler is the answer in right, either. The only thing that I was getting at is that 2 games does not indicate how a career will be. Heck, he may hit .400 to finish out the year. That'd be great. Likewise, he may hit .220. Which would stink. But, even then, I'd say he still deserves another shot come next spring. But to say that he's the long-term answer in right, after 2 games? Come on, man.

If he continues to preform I think he takes over for Schebler for good.

Cool your jets. I'm fine with giving him a chance. And no where will you find me saying Schebler is the answer in right, either. The only thing that I was getting at is that 2 games does not indicate how a career will be. Heck, he may hit .400 to finish out the year. That'd be great. Likewise, he may hit .220. Which would stink. But, even then, I'd say he still deserves another shot come next spring. But to say that he's the long-term answer in right, after 2 games? Come on, man.

Cool my jets? Where did I say he was the long term answer? I merely said that it's about time at soon to be 24 he deserves a chance to either prove he can or prove he can't play at this level. This organization doesn't have that many mlb ready postion players imo that are ready but I think Winker is one that deserves a shot regardless of when the clock starts on his time for contract purposes. Quit running these stiffs out there that are never going to perform at a consistent level and give the guys who have shown some consistency at the lower level a chance. The Reds in recent history have been playing guys who can't get on base let alone hit and a guy like Winker has to be getting frustrated knowing that he has done everything they have asked to this point. Do you disagree with that?

Cool my jets? Where did I say he was the long term answer? I merely said that it's about time at soon to be 24 he deserves a chance to either prove he can or prove he can't play at this level. This organization doesn't have that many mlb ready postion players imo that are ready but I think Winker is one that deserves a shot regardless of when the clock starts on his time for contract purposes. Quit running these stiffs out there that are never going to perform at a consistent level and give the guys who have shown some consistency at the lower level a chance. The Reds in recent history have been playing guys who can't get on base let alone hit and a guy like Winker has to be getting frustrated knowing that he has done everything they have asked to this point. Do you disagree with that?

Is he frustrated? Sure. But Schebler hasn't been as bad as he has lately, all season, either. So, I don't think it's been a definitive no-brainer either. And everybody wants their chance to work through a slump. Most managers are going to give it to them. Heck, you could make the point that Votto didn't deserve to start at several points the past couple of seasons, yet you see what he did in the 2nd half each year. But, yes, I'm glad that Winker is getting a shot.

Maybe I just misread what you were implying with the one post. If so, I appologize.

Is he frustrated? Sure. But Schebler hasn't been as bad as he has lately, all season, either. So, I don't think it's been a definitive no-brainer either. And everybody wants their chance to work through a slump. Most managers are going to give it to them. Heck, you could make the point that Votto didn't deserve to start at several points the past couple of seasons, yet you see what he did in the 2nd half each year. But, yes, I'm glad that Winker is getting a shot.

Maybe I just misread what you were implying with the one post. If so, I appologize.

No problem but I just get frustrated with the organization and their approach with the younger guys. If they are the better players then I would like to see them get the chances to prove they belong and I think we are finally seeing that with the younger pitchers but I don't see it with the position players as much. Senzel finally got moved to AA and he is proving that he can hit and get on base at a high % but for the most part the Reds are slow to move guys that they have drafted and won't play the younger guys with the exception of some they have aquired through trade. Overall I guess I'm just frustated with the organization and want to see progress quicker.