Robo Umpire

Robo Balls and Strikes?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Robo Balls and Strikes?

Is it time for balls and strikes to be called by technology, not a human umpire?

We all see the strike box on TV. The technology is there. It is just a matter of working out the exact logistics. I say you keep an umpire behind the plate to run the game and make all the other calls. Let the robot call balls and strikes.

I say you need to join up with plantman at Aunt Fancy's Looney Farm and call balls and strikes there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and you cannot discount the manipulation by catchers to bring the ball back in to the strike zone. This used to be frowned upon but, and I say this as a person that detest dragging pitches, it works. When I coached my son I would tell him that if I ever caught him dragging pitches or 'stealing strikes' that he would have to sit out. Now if he doesn't he would miss a lot of strike calls. Robo ump would eliminate this.

It depends on what you mean.

Bring it back with movement of the glove doesn't work. It simply tells the umpire the catcher thought it was outside.

Where it does work occasionally is if the catcher has a "quiet glove" and catches the ball without moving the glove.

Real Sports on HBO had a story about this a little while back, no reason not to have it after watching that...I'm convinced.

It was tested in a Minor League game and both Pitchers and Batters were in favor of it after using it for one game. I'm sick and tired of a pitch being a strike one inning and being a ball the next. UMPIRES are NOT part of the game, they are there to ensure the game is played and called correctly...no more no less. If Robo-Strikes improves the play of the game and the efficiency at which the game is called why could someone really be against it.

For those that like the unique strike zone from Umpire to Umpire or the best hitters and pitchers getting the close calls around the plate...would you prefer that Police Officers just eyeball your speed when writing speeding tickets instead of using a RADAR or Laser to determine speed?

That's an awful comparison. The umpires don't guess guess or estimate pitch speed. Tell me @Jumper_Dad, how do police officers determine if you are swerving or cross the center line? What kind of technology do they use for that?

That's an awful comparison. The umpires don't guess guess or estimate pitch speed. Tell me @Jumper_Dad, how do police officers determine if you are swerving or cross the center line? What kind of technology do they use for that?

My example was that police officers used to eye ball speeding in the old days before radar. Technology got rid of the human element of guessing the speed. Umpires eyeball strikes and as we all know are not only inconsistent between umpires, can be inconsistent between innings of the same game.

A strike should be a strike and a ball should be a ball, regardless if it's Greg Maddox or a rookie pitcher. I HATE it when superstar hitters or pitchers get a favorable strike zone from the ump that another hitter or pitcher doesn't. Level the playing field...there is simply no reason not to do this except for nostalgia.

My example was that police officers used to eye ball speeding in the old days before radar. Technology got rid of the human element of guessing the speed. Umpires eyeball strikes and as we all know are not only inconsistent between umpires, can be inconsistent between innings of the same game.

A strike should be a strike and a ball should be a ball, regardless if it's Greg Maddox or a rookie pitcher. I HATE it when superstar hitters or pitchers get a favorable strike zone from the ump that another hitter or pitcher doesn't. Level the playing field...there is simply no reason not to do this except for nostalgia.

Give me a break.

MLB 2

That's bad too, but once on the field they all deserve the same calls.

Owners will never fix the money disparity.

They use instant replay and still can't get calls correct at times. I see the robo umpire as just another way to slow down and screw up the game.

They use instant replay and still can't get calls correct at times. I see the robo umpire as just another way to slow down and screw up the game.

The test that I saw didn't slow it down at all...not sure how a consistent strike zone would screw up the game.

Do you have HBO? If you do look for the Real Sports episode a few months ago where they did a test on this. Bryant Gumbel was just like you and didn't like it but couldn't say why except for that it wasn't what he was used to. Players (hitters and pitchers) and managers both preferred it.

The test that I saw didn't slow it down at all...not sure how a consistent strike zone would screw up the game.

Do you have HBO? If you do look for the Real Sports episode a few months ago where they did a test on this. Bryant Gumbel was just like you and didn't like it but couldn't say why except for that it wasn't what he was used to. Players (hitters and pitchers) and managers both preferred it.

Technology always screws up at some point. It quits working, shuts down, has delays.