Louisville Cardinals 2017

UK#1fanisback

This season is going to ramp up quickly with what should be a win in a neutral site game against Purdue, then a good road trip to UNC before coming home to face the defending national champs in Week 3.

If I had to pick three things I'm looking for in that Purdue game to give me hints of how this season might go:

1) Lamar Jackson's ability to react. Last season he took many sacks he didn't have to and fumbled a lot when he shouldn't have. Much of it was because he was holding onto the ball and trying to make plays when a more experienced QB would have tossed it away. Improved decision-making from the now junior will take this team a long way. (Passing accuracy, especially to players coming out of the backfield, gets an honorable mention here.)

2) How well can the offensive line keep the pocket together when Jackson drops back? They were dominated, quite frankly, in the final games of the season. Jackson needs that pocket to stay open long enough to go through progressions or No. 1 might not even matter.

3) A diminished defensive line under a new defensive coordinator. Lost a big playmaker to graduation last season and just lost Chuckie Williams when he was chucked off the team. This is a fairly thin unit that didn't sign any freshmen for this season. I think the secondary will do pretty well and the linebackers, with the return to health of James Hearn and Travon Young, will be solid. The defensive line will be the big question for this defense.

Speaking of the O-Line, there were four four-star recruits to that unit this year and one, Mekhi Becton, is apparently playing with the first team as a right tackle a great deal during practice.

This group is fascinating to follow. Literally no idea who's going to end up starting against Purdue other than the center.

Just saw where former UL backup QB Kyle Bolin has been named starting QB and team captain for Rutgers.

I believe he is from LexCath. Congrats. Looks like he made the right decision to transfer as a graduate.

Yep. Kyle is a great kid and most here knew he could go elsewhere and start. I'm glad he made the decision and hope he has a great year.