St. Louis voters reject stadium funding

Getslow

Voters are starting to figure out the scam.

ELECTION RESULTS: Soccer stadium defeated; MetroLink sales tax passes | Political Fix | stltoday.com

There are starting to be fewer and fewer ways for these people to get handouts from local governments. You don't get to tax everyone and reallocate the money then overcharge those same people for tickets, food, beer, and parking.

You can keep your MLS. It's a pyramid scheme.

I wonder if at some point this will have a reverse effect and Teams just fold up shop, leagues get smaller or fold all together.

My dream is that one day at game time, the stadiums are empty and not one TV is tuned to a single game. That the citizens decide that they can spend their money and time toward other things than watching millionaire players playing a kids game for billionaire owners.

It's not going to happen. We would rather complain than actually do something to stop it.

Indications are that the next generation will be taking care of it for us, buy not caring about sports at all.

Didn't MLB have to step in to salvage the Montreal Expos and get them moved to Washington? Too much money is a relative term.

That is one team. There is way too much money in sports for teams to start folding.

That is one team. There is way too much money in sports for teams to start folding.

With the single-entity structure that most American sports leagues follow, I agree with you. Teams won't fail because they're just franchises that can always be moved and restructured.

It will definitely be interesting to see how players unions and management work when the TV contract bubble starts to burst. ESPN, FOX, and all the others can't keep shelling out this kind of cash for products while cable television continues to hemmorhage subscribers by the day.

Indications are that the next generation will be taking care of it for us, buy not caring about sports at all.

Millenials will kill television as we know it. Almost for certain.

And even people like me are what the sports leagues can't have. I lost NBC Sports when I cut my cable down to basic to save money. Worst thing for the NHL is people like me that lost access and figured of we didn't miss it all that much...

Not germane to this particular discussion, but I'm intrigued with the Premiere League and its annual relegation of the bottom three teams in the league. Can you imagine if this were the case in, say, MLB? Or even MLS (and for all I know, it may be)?

Not germane to this particular discussion, but I'm intrigued with the Premiere League and its annual relegation of the bottom three teams in the league. Can you imagine if this were the case in, say, MLB? Or even MLS (and for all I know, it may be)?

It's not. And even though I'd love it, I don't think it will ever happen.

1) The franchise model means that all those ownership groups paid big money just to sit down at the table and they're not going to lose that investment quietly.

2) American sports have become rooted in the notion that parity is the thing that makes for excitement. So instead of punishing teams that can't compete, we reward them with high draft picks.

There are a lot of other reasons, but I think those are the main issues.

It's not. And even though I'd love it, I don't think it will ever happen.

1) The franchise model means that all those ownership groups paid big money just to sit down at the table and they're not going to lose that investment quietly.

2) American sports have become rooted in the notion that parity is the thing that makes for excitement. So instead of punishing teams that can't compete, we reward them with high draft picks.

There are a lot of other reasons, but I think those are the main issues.

I don't doubt everything you've said.

If relegation was on the table, my educated guess is that we'd see a lot less tanking to get those draft picks and a lot more effort to win games and stay in the league.