• Matt Daniel
    • Patrick Kelsch
    • Keaton Belcher
    • Other

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you missed the point of my post. I never said an All A State Championship was better than an actual state championship. The last All A school to win a state championship was Painstville in 1996 with JR VanHoose. It is just not a realistic goal for small public schools anymore.

This is Mike Code's only year he's had a losing record in his 14 years at Bishop Brossart. You don't think he's ever been offered a coaching job at a bigger school with all the success he's had? If he was at a bigger school he would just as much, if not more success as the coaches on the top of your list.

We live in a culture where winning championships is how you judge someone's career. So in my opinion you aren't classified as a great coach unless you've won championships, and outside of the All A, Mike Code has not.

We live in a culture where winning championships is how you judge someone's career. So in my opinion you aren't classified as a great coach unless you've won championships, and outside of the All A, Mike Code has not.

So, you feel certain that Biggs would have regional championships if he coached at St Pat, Augusta, etc?

I feel certain he would have regional championships if he was at Brossart or Paris yes. Terence Brooks will likely get his 1st regional championship this year.

....and the beauty of this thread is I could say Code and others could have won a regional championship with the 05 Pendleton team, and like you can't prove anything.

Impressive thing to me about Russell is he has done it at a small school in Newport on the girls (All A) and boys side (All A and Region) then transferred it over to a large school at Campbell County to the point they may not win it every year but they are always relevant in the discussion.

You're right. I'm sure Allen Feldhaus Sr and Kelly Wells would be proud of Biggs doing that great job you referred to of beating Bracken Co., this year.

As much as some of the "bracken county faithful" talked the Polar Bears up this season you woulda thought the Royals beat 95-96 Bulls and Michael Jordan himself lol

This is a re-print of the post I made at the tail end of the Mason-Bracken District Championship thread. I'll stand by it here. The 10th Region has many fine coaches, many of whom have achieved a lot of success.

Maybe the better question than rank the coaches might be who you would want your son playing for if all things were equal and each team equi-talented, and Who Wins???.

I think most are missing the point here. A coach that is good in one program might not be a good fit for another. Hinson was the perfect fit for the Bach Pathers and the following year. He didn't restrict them, let them play, reeled them in when necessary and had a happy bunch of kids who experienced success. He was also blessed with talent who preferred to simply go out and outscore you - it worked for them. Kirk isn't blessed with same talent this year, but showed that he could get it done, taking last year's Panthers to the Regional Finals. He runs good stuff.

I think Aric Russell is the perfect fit for Campbell County. He is somewhat laid back, let's them play, makes good adjustments and obtains maximum performance from his guys and their style of play keeps their fans (and admin) happy. They are fundamental enough to make good decisions and stay out of trouble.

Mike Code is the perfect fit for Brossart, but might not be such a good fit in a program that wants to rip and run, fire up the three at first opportunity, prefer to steal the ball instead of hunkering down and playing good team defense, valuing possession of the ball, and limiting turnovers, while pressing endline to endline. Not everyone could play for him because he is very demanding and holds players accountable and won't lower the bar. While not having been to a regional finals, he has been plagued with bad timing. On the occasions that we could have possibly won the region other teams have had things take place within their program that we were simply unable to overcome.

Would anyone wish to be playing our 2014 class this year. Trentman, Burns and company?????

Buddy Biggs was brought to Mason County originally by Kelly Wells, who most on here consider a superior coach. Wells knew that his shortcoming was teaching team defense and Biggs was given that assignment. For some reason Buddy doesn't always seem to command the respect needed to coach a program with the makeup of Mason County, but has shown that he can overcome adversity and finds ways to win.

I'm not sure Jason Hinson can do much differently than what he presently does. He is blessed with one of the top players in the region who can go get you 40 some nights. Is he going to say, "Austin, I want you to share the ball more, and make the players around you better." Are they capable? Not sure, but I think I would let the big dog roll and see where it takes us. That's pretty much what he has done. He can save the restructuring into a cohesive team unit until next year when he will be forced to create offensive opportunities to generate offense in order to score points. He may have to teach some fundamental Defense 101, in order to keep opponents in range.

Enough of my rant, you get the picture.

Impressive thing to me about Russell is he has done it at a small school in Newport on the girls (All A) and boys side (All A and Region) then transferred it over to a large school at Campbell County to the point they may not win it every year but they are always relevant in the discussion.

What? How can that be???? You can't win the Regional Tournamemt at a small school it's unheard of.

What? How can that be???? You can't win the Regional Tournamemt at a small school it's unheard of. ��

Newport is actually a 2A football school with around 410 kids. To compete in the All A Classic you have to have below below 500 I think. However Bath County competes in it and has 580 kids so the line of "All A" is different from "KHSAA Class A"