Off season training

CATonFIRE76

Almost every single school has some kind of off season training program for their football players. Do any of you believe that a particular schools weight training program pushes their kids to another level than what would be expected out of another school?

Do you think the school success is manufactured in the weight room?

If a kid went through this school's training program would he come out a different player than if just went through avg training program?

Almost every single school has some kind of off season training program for their football players. Do any of you believe that a particular schools weight training program pushes their kids to another level than what would be expected out of another school?

Do you think the school success is manufactured in the weight room?

If a kid went through this school's training program would he come out a different player than if just went through avg training program?

Weight training in the off season is essential to success but not a guarantee. I have seen several teams with good weight programs and strong kids that are not successful on the field.

So yes program X could very easily push their student athletes to a level that program Y couldn't or doesn't.

IMO, most school's training programs are not getting the most out of their athletes. Mainly because they are typically run by the head coach who most of the time doesn't know what they are doing. Just because you are a great football coach doesn't mean you are a great strength and conditioning coach. Will the kids get stronger and faster, most likely. Will the results be optimal, probably not. This gets worse in other sports like baseball, basketball, ect...

And I'm saying you are "that guy". There are poor kids all over America who are elite that can't afford those. There are hs programs all over the country doing speed and agility at school and are elite. I'm saying there are elite athletes all over the county playing football and straight into basketball and track who have never paid anyone a penny.

IMO, most school's training programs are not getting the most out of their athletes. Mainly because they are typically run by the head coach who most of the time doesn't know what they are doing. Just because you are a great football coach doesn't mean you are a great strength and conditioning coach. Will the kids get stronger and faster, most likely. Will the results be optimal, probably not. This gets worse in other sports like baseball, basketball, ect...

This.

There is a need for qualified professionals, either full-time staff or contracted out, who run the programs. This will improve the effectiveness of the training but more importantly it will help ensure that it is ran right, i.e. safely.

This.

There is a need for qualified professionals, either full-time staff or contracted out, who run the programs. This will improve the effectiveness of the training but more importantly it will help ensure that it is ran right, i.e. safely.

A few years a kid started coming to our CrossFit gym. He was a senior in high school and was getting ready to graduate. He played QB for Evansville Central High School and was going to Depauw to play. I was paired with him doing power cleans. He was strong but form was brutal. He told the trainer his coach didn't care how they got it up as long as they made the lift. Blew me away.

A few years a kid started coming to our CrossFit gym. He was a senior in high school and was getting ready to graduate. He played QB for Evansville Central High School and was going to Depauw to play. I was paired with him doing power cleans. He was strong but form was brutal. He told the trainer his coach didn't care how they got it up as long as they made the lift. Blew me away.

And that is unfortunately more common than one would think.