Russell vs. Morgan Co.

oline62

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a good game to get some time for the players in backup rolls. Russell has lost at least one starter to a season ending injury in John Cornwell. Let's see who steps up to play Nose guard. I'm still not convinced that all the positions have been filled for the trip to the playoffs. I think both the offense and defense have a lot of work to be done. Last week the second Offense looked really good in scoring twice against Boyd County. I would not doubt it one bit if you see Jones in the backfield by the end of the season. Not because he is not a good QB but because he is an excellent runner.

I agree Jeepman. I think the coaches had to feel good about how the Cordle kid looked under center last Friday nite. Tyler is a good QB, but he can be a brute win he runs the ball too. Him in the backfield with Kasey creates a lot of different opportunities for both backs. I think Morris will continue to tinker with personnel on the defensive side of the ball as well.

I agree Jeepman. I think the coaches had to feel good about how the Cordle kid looked under center last Friday nite. Tyler is a good QB, but he can be a brute win he runs the ball too. Him in the backfield with Kasey creates a lot of different opportunities for both backs. I think Morris will continue to tinker with personnel on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Hey guys, don't forget a big part of the wing-t is the QB keeper and Jones makes a good person to have. Cordle although I am impressed with him, I just don't think is strong enough physically yet to take that varsity pounding week after week, plus from what I understand he came from a shot-gun style offense in ohio and is still learning all the details of the wing-t.

I also think we shouldn't give up on Lewis(#11). Lewis from 2004 thru 2006 (Ashland) game has rushed for over 500 yds and 4 touchdowns, while breaking off some long runs as well. He has 91 yds and 1 touchdown this year while only carrying the ball 9 times. We all know what he can do in big game situations (i.e. State Champ game). I think the absence of our FB's from the last 2 years (Potter/Edwards) have hurt us more than our slot-runners (Lewis/beekman).

If I was going to tinker with the offense at this point in the season, instead of AJ right now, I would move Sizemore to QB and have a backfield of Clark-RB, Jones-FB and Lewis/Beekman(Slot). AJ is a great kid, but I think a year of full-time JV (QB) and backup roles in Varsity will serve him better in the long run.

But I have faith that Ivan and the staff will put the best ones they think will do the best for the team this year. They know a whole lot more than we do here on BGP.

Hey guys, don't forget a big part of the wing-t is the QB keeper and Jones makes a good person to have. Cordle although I am impressed with him, I just don't think is strong enough physically yet to take that varsity pounding week after week, plus from what I understand he came from a shot-gun style offense in ohio and is still learning all the details of the wing-t.

I also think we shouldn't give up on Lewis(#11). Lewis from 2004 thru 2006 (Ashland) game has rushed for over 500 yds and 4 touchdowns, while breaking off some long runs as well. He has 91 yds and 1 touchdown this year while only carrying the ball 9 times. We all know what he can do in big game situations (i.e. State Champ game). I think the absence of our FB's from the last 2 years (Potter/Edwards) have hurt us more than our slot-runners (Lewis/beekman).

If I was going to tinker with the offense at this point in the season, instead of AJ right now, I would move Sizemore to QB and have a backfield of Clark-RB, Jones-FB and Lewis/Beekman(Slot). AJ is a great kid, but I think a year of full-time JV (QB) and backup roles in Varsity will serve him better in the long run.

But I have faith that Ivan and the staff will put the best ones they think will do the best for the team this year. They know a whole lot more than we do here on BGP.

Good post. You make valid points, especially about the fullback position. The fullback needs to be able to move people and that just hasn't happened this year. Cordle could benefit from another year of seasoning, and yes, Jacob could step in and do a good job at QB. Ivan and staff will get it all sorted out in time.

Good post. You make valid points, especially about the fullback position. The fullback needs to be able to move people and that just hasn't happened this year. Cordle could benefit from another year of seasoning, and yes, Jacob could step in and do a good job at QB. Ivan and staff will get it all sorted out in time.

In this offense, the fullback doesn't have to move anybody, except on power.

I wouldn't bet on seeing Jacob at QB, I would bet more on Cordle. Once he learns the offense, although he is small he can run and he's got a great arm and an even better touch. I see Jones in the backfield and Cordle under center before we start our playoff run. And if Cordle can do the job, this team will be one of the top teams in the state.

I wouldn't bet on seeing Jacob at QB, I would bet more on Cordle. Once he learns the offense, although he is small he can run and he's got a great arm and an even better touch. I see Jones in the backfield and Cordle under center before we start our playoff run. And if Cordle can do the job, this team will be one of the top teams in the state.

I agree Jacob stays as a reciever.:thumb:

Hello Russell friends....

For Morgan Co. they will and have been playing the last couple of weeks with multiple injuries. Some perhaps may even get extended rest and some will play this Friday night. The Cougars will battle and Morgan will play everyone that dresses Friday night I'm assuming.

After Friday, the most important game of the season is the Sorghum Bowl next Friday night. A game they have not won in double-digit years...actually the last time I can remember was 1995 and the game wasn't even at Morgan Co. It was at Magoffin County...the played the Sorghum bowl there because it was Magoffin's turn in the two year contract to host and the only year that Morgan didn't play at home or have their Sorghum Bowl at home. The frustrated Cougars traveled to Salyersville and took on a very powerful Hornet team led by Grayson Smith (UK), Michael Caba, Jason Robinette, Jason Wages, and company...two receivers each of 1,000 + yardage and loaded. Magoffin led 6-0 at the half. Morgan would pick off Caba a school record 7 times in the 2nd half led by cornerback Mark "Polo" Easterling and Saftey Chris Bradley. Morgan torched the Hornets for 30 unanswered points and lot of the credit should go to then defensive coordinator B.J. WARD, now assistant coach at Paintsville. Terry Chin was the head coach. Ward changed his blitz package and coverage baiting the Hornets and it paid off. Kicker Olaf Tungsvik, the best kicker I've ever seen in EKY lost every football the Cougars had in extra points :D

Hopefully the Cougars will be focused in a very important district match-up next week with a well coached West Carter team. The last two years, Morgan and West Carter have hooked up in what maybe the best and most heart wrenching games of the district. Morgan lost the Sorghum Bowl in 2004 in the last seconds....West Carter lost 41-40 last year as they battled back and a two point conversion was literally inches away from being caught by talented receiver Justin Wolfe.

Morgan is itching for their first Sorghum bowl win of the Century!

As far as the Russell game...Sam Sparks may need to keep the furnace lit...the fire may come out so much the temperature actually goes up 10 degrees in the city of Flatwoods....:laugh:

One thing is for sure. Ivan knows talent and he plays the kids where they perform the best.