Training my pup...

To follow a blood trail. I'm wanting to get into bow hunting for the extended season, and extra time in the woods. One thing I'm worried about is my buck dropping in the woods and not being able to find it for whatever reason, lack of blood, my inability or otherwise.

Anyway, I started training Traceygirl this morning on her first trail. It was about 50 yards with two turns. She nailed it in under a minute. I can't wait to see what she is really capable of!

It's funny, dog training seems like it should be harder than it really is. Now I know there are exceptions, and I've had them, but really it's amazing how innate the response in the dog really is. My current bird dog required, literally, zero training. He pointed, retrieved and responded to the whistle all without any guidance. I'd love to see your dog in action ThrillVille. You should really video it and put it on here. That would be outstanding.

This is really interesting. In all of the bow hunters I have ever met, in Kentucky or otherwise, I have never known any of them to have a track dog. For me, a big part of bow hunting is testing my skills through the whole process..in other words, I am my own dog.

Nothing at all against this, but I have intentionally kept my dogs in the past out of the woods specifically so they wouldn't contaminate my visual trail.

This is really interesting. In all of the bow hunters I have ever met, in Kentucky or otherwise, I have never known any of them to have a track dog. For me, a big part of bow hunting is testing my skills through the whole process..in other words, I am my own dog.

Nothing at all against this, but I have intentionally kept my dogs in the past out of the woods specifically so they wouldn't contaminate my visual trail.

Regardless of season, I'd hope that dog is in a ridiculously bright orange vest. Theys some stoopid hunters amongst us.

I get that. I would only use her if I actually needed her though. She would be on a leash 100% of the time.

I think I am wanting to do this because I lost a doe years ago. I followed the trail into the night and even the next day. It sucked. I know that if had a dog I would have found it.

Anyways, I took her to the park by my house last night for a round 2... Didn't go so great. I want to think that she was distracted and confused because she is used to only going a certain way in that park, and she kept wanting to go that way. Once we got a lot closer to the target, like 15 yards maybe, she was on it. I think I got ambitious with her. The next one will be much shorter.