New Fayette County School (Frederick Douglass)

McPeek is the AD. They have been talking to Coaches about various positions but I have not heard anything definite. The colors are suppose to be Orange and Green/Miami Hurricanes. Mascot is something horse related but I can't remember for sure what I was told.

For this school year (2016/17) incoming freshman effected by the re-districting had a choice of current districted school or new districted school to start and finish their high school years. I do not know for sure how the juniors and seniors will be handled. The most interesting piece of this is the Carter G. Woodson Academy. Currently, students attending the CGW go to the academy during the day but play sports for their districted school. My understanding is that when the new school opens it will house the CGW and all academy students will go there and play sports there, regardless of grade. This will effect most if not all Fayette Co schools sports immediately and in my opinion could have a bigger impact down the road. New school, new facilities, good players wanting to play together (see AAU) could become a destination for the better athletes.

The only "rubber stamp" tranfers in Fayette County are moving to new district (or a relative renting an apartment there) and/or attending one of the various programs the different high schools offer.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The school's namesake is obviously Frederick Douglass...but it is also a reference to Frederick Douglass High School, a segregated high school in Lexington that closed in 1963. The HL reported that the local NAACP lobbied for the name. Very similar situation to Paul Laurence Dunbar taking its name from a closed segregated school.

The original school mascot was the Demons.

If I was the new school I would write a blank check made out to Ty Scroggins of Central.

There is literally noone in the State of Kentucky that I could think of that would be a better hire. With what he has done at Central despite having less than ideal conditions I think he would be the dream coach of this school and what Fayette County Schools have always been missing. A great X's and O's Coach that can develop talent and maintain discipline and has the ability to win once the weather turns cold.

He would be an excellent choice @ATLCat , but the only problem is the "blank check" from any school in Fayette for a high school head football coach is $9350.

If I was the new school I would write a blank check made out to Ty Scroggins of Central.

There is literally noone in the State of Kentucky that I could think of that would be a better hire. With what he has done at Central despite having less than ideal conditions I think he would be the dream coach of this school and what Fayette County Schools have always been missing. A great X's and O's Coach that can develop talent and maintain discipline and has the ability to win once the weather turns cold.