Sound Bar recommendations?

BaseballIsLife

I just bought a new TV over Thanksgiving and now I'm looking to get a soundbar to help round it all out but with so many options and varying prices I haven't been able to pick one. So that leads me to my question, what recommendations do you have? Advice? Comments on your current load out that maybe you wish you would have changed your mind?

Any help would be appreciated!

I've got three soundbars, two Yamaha's and a Vizio. The one on my main TV is probably 6 or 7 years old and I've been very happy with. Nice, full sound. I have a Polk Sub hooked to it. It was in the $700 range...It's one of the YSP series....I'd look the model up, but it obviously isn't current. I will say, I have no plans on upgrading as I'm still very happy with it. I have a cheaper YAP series soundbar hooked up to my other TV. It is in the $250 range. Not as nice as the other, but still decent output. My vizio is used in my home gym...it's just ok. Probably wouldn't be happy with it as a main unit, but I bought it refurbished, and didn't pay a ton for it.

Whatever you do, factor in the purchase of a decent Subwoofer. Even the bars that have the soundwoofer "built in", really don't project good, low level, thumping bass.

I would stay away from vizio, Samsung, lg type soundbars and go with a company that is more focused on audio equipment. I'm not a sound bar guy so I can't really give you a ton of info. Yamaha is known for its reliability and sound quality in their stereo recievers, however I've never been impressed with their speakers. That said, sound bars are much different than full size tower speakers, so they may make an excellent sound bar. You would still want to invest in a good sub though.

Definitive Technology makes some really nice speakers and they are in the sound bar business too. Their offerings would be worth checking out.

All in all its really going to come down to your budget and what your really wanting to achieve. Throw a number out there and I'll look through some of the sound and vision magazines I have laying around and do some research for you.

Just did a little research and if I were in the market for a sound bar at the moment my choice would be the Atlantic Technology H-Pas Powerbar 235. Two things though, I dont know your budget and this is $700. The other thing is that it does not include a sub, instead it uses hpass technology and a couple of 4" drivers to create its own internal sub, but it does have a standard rca line out to connect a powered sub of your choice.

That said, I kinda like the idea of going that route. Like @rjs4470 mentioned your going to want to buy a decent sub to go with the soundbar. Even if you buy a soundbar with a separate sub included, its going to pretty much be worthless as subwoofers are concerned. If it were me I would buy the best subless soundbar I could afford, then buy a sub of my choice to match the sound bar. Or just build your own.

Atlantic Technology makes excellent speakers, i have two pair of At-254 wall mounted speakers that sound excellent that I use for rear channel surround in a theater room.

I would highly recommend the AT soundbar over anything else in that price range. To get better sound you would have to get above the $1k range and still have to replace the subwoofer.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. As for a budget several $700 would be fine. I'm still looking at options, reading reviews, etc trying to get all the info I can get to make a decision.

Several $700? If money is no object look at the paradigm soundscape for $1200 :)

Several $700? If money is no object look at the paradigm soundscape for $1200 :)

Haha I meant $700 is fine. I'm fine with spending around the same amount as the TV which I got discounted down to $600 so getting a sound setup similar to that is what I want. $1200 might be a little steep for me at this point!

Haha I meant $700 is fine. I'm fine with spending around the same amount as the TV which I got discounted down to $600 so getting a sound setup similar to that is what I want. $1200 might be a little steep for me at this point!

Do your research and decide from there. I'm am audio nut though and would reccomend the Atlantic Technology system. Then add your sub of choice at a later date. AT has been around for a long long time and they have always been known for their speakers. However I didn't know they got into soundbars until I started doing a little research. Also if you know how to use a screwdriver and glue, you can get a kit sub and save yourself some money on that.