Kentucky Premier & Shining Star Sports (Kentucky Only)

Hmmm.....is it possible to agree & disagree with both posts in some respects?

In the first, I agree that "a team with the same players ... Same coach ... Same Philosophy But a change of uniforms will yield the same results !!!!" Seems logical.

But, the premise that a Nike sponsorship means the coaches are getting paid and all the stuff is free is probably a stretch.

In the second post (the "response"), I disagree with the "I actually, take it as a compliment that teams come looking at my kids. I must be doing something right if very good teams are recruiting my kids." Seriously?? - this actually means that those good players don't feel like you are helping them get better and when you couple that with the admission that your coaching mistakes cost them the opportunity to advance in tournaments. That sounds like a coaching issue, and kids should want to go play on a different team if they are high level players. Your turnover issues should be opening your eyes & maybe you are better suited for the more fundamental level coaching.

But, I do agree with the detail explaining that coaching requires a lot of time and it seems like the "relationships" are more important that having a competitive team. And, if your interest is really in helping kids get better, it might be more impactful to coach the mid tier players.

Again, lots to digest in those two posts, and some points in both that I agree and disagree with.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every coach makes mistakes, because he is willing to admit to some of them you want to say he should coach mid tier teams? I would rather have somebody that is willing to admit it and look to get better as a coach than someone with too much ego that they are not open.

My son does not play for SSSGODWIN but has before. He is not a mid tier coach. My son credits him fully with helping him get better at very advanced fundamental basketball and concepts. The player and the coach agreed it was not a good fit but in no way did that mean he wasn't a good enough coach.

Unless you, your son or somebody to where you have a valid reasoning for your thought has played for him, nobody should comment about their coaching ability.

Most AAU teams have turnover, especially in middle school. Once you get a big name or two to commit to play others will follow either by friendship or wanting to win.

Premier will now have their same players but that check mark and sponsorship will likely also bring other "high tier" players to the program.

Hmmm.....is it possible to agree & disagree with both posts in some respects? In the first' date=' I agree that "a team with the same players ... Same coach ... Same Philosophy But a change of uniforms will yield the same results !!!!" Seems logical. But, the premise that a Nike sponsorship means the coaches are getting paid and all the stuff is free is probably a stretch. In the second post (the "response"), I disagree with the "I actually, take it as a compliment that teams come looking at my kids. I must be doing something right if very good teams are recruiting my kids." Seriously?? - this actually means that those good players don't feel like you are helping them get better and when you couple that with the admission that your coaching mistakes cost them the opportunity to advance in tournaments. That sounds like a coaching issue, and kids should want to go play on a different team if they are high level players. Your turnover issues should be opening your eyes & maybe you are better suited for the more fundamental level coaching. But, I do agree with the detail explaining that coaching requires a lot of time and it seems like the "relationships" are more important that having a competitive team. And, if your interest is really in helping kids get better, it might be more impactful to coach the mid tier players. Again, lots to digest in those two posts, and some points in both that I agree and disagree with.[/quote']

You are not allowed to disagree with how "I feel".

You are also speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Team A wants to get better by recruiting better players than what they have. Therefore, let's push player X and Y to the side and make room for a couple players from Team B. It seems like Team A has the same issue. They just chose to "problem solve" differently. This works into both teams "Turn Over" rate.

I'm a man and a can admit my mistakes. I look people in the eye. I don't hide behind screen names. I know who you are affiliated with. You have the agenda of a rival and it shows with your comments. Everything that you state is in the attempt to bring me down. I challenge you and all your friends I to come have a beer with me and get to know me.

"Turnover" - every good team has it. Look back over the past couple years and find me a successful team that doesn't.

Three years ago I had 5 players leave my 2020 team because of exactly what said above. Four of them banded together and won a D1 State title. Their move paid off and it worked for them. However, that team doesn't exist any longer. 4 of those five kids has since played for me again. In fact 3 of them have asked to come back and play even more. I even won a state tournament with a little brother of one of those kids.

Coaches don't improve kids in a couple practices per week. Kids get better by working on skill. Every single day. 365 days a year. Parents, who bail for greener pastures just to chase trophies is fine. But to blame others when their kids are not whiling to put the time and effort in the driveway way or basement are cowards. I say that because they can't accept the reality that their kid doesn't t want to work. My parents don't pay me for training. I don't get a penny. I actually lose at least $1000 every season because entitled people want to take advantage of coaches. Players that come to me asking for help, get it. Those that sit back and say "what have you done for me?" They don't get help, because they don't ask.

If I could make players better I'd start with my own son. As every coach would do the same. But the fact is we can't just wave a magic wand and make kids better. We can't make their hearts burn and WANT to get better.

Kids that have a physical advantage don't always work. Their day is coming. Kids that have a physical advantage and are willing to work will stand alone.

In closing. Hide behind your screen name, continue to act entitled and in two years when those kids are not playing anymore you will know the truth. Until then, you can toss stones all you want. Because, I've accomplished what I've accomplished based on my own WANT and HARD WORK. Those players that are on successful teams will be forced to stand on their own two feet some day and if they don't commit on their own time then they won't be able to stand alone.

8 years and counting.

okay then. keep doing what you are doing. feels like teenage banter complete with screen shots of text messages between kids. people who are making a difference don't need a message board to applaud and point out their own accomplishments.

okay then. keep doing what you are doing. feels like teenage banter complete with screen shots of text messages between kids. people who are making a difference don't need a message board to applaud and point out their own accomplishments.

We are in 100% agreement.

Imo a team with the same players ... Same coach ... Same Philosophy But a change of uniforms will yield the same results !!!! If you could post a picture of the check Nike sends you for your 3 teams as being apart of that program now and maybe educate us all on how the switch is going to help you become a better coach so you can pass it on to your players . I have looked everywhere and was unable to find any kind of coaching clinics that they offer . But I was able to locate multiple basketball camps for the kids at a price of course which holds well for the program as it just picked up 100 more kids to add to the list of current campers . Maybe camps will be free ... Free gym time .... Free uniforms or maybe pay the coaches ... Travel reimbursement Because these are the things that come to mind when I hear Nike Sponsorship ??? Just asking

Mr Royals seems you should have learned by now. Last time you came on talking trash you lost a complete team and the best players minus one from the 6th/7th grade group. Dont worry about what Kentucky Premier and Shining Stars did. Try to help what you have left. If you guys focused as much energy on helping kids as you did trying to tear down others think of what might happen.

That is all. Keep talking.

Reading the last few posts it seems the references mention boys basketball teams. I feel some are missing a major impact in this new alliance or merger which is the platform the Nike Girls EYBL stage provides and the potential for fielding a more talented team representing KY. Ky Premier is a Girls Nike EYBL program and should benefit by having a larger pool of affiliated players from the combined programs. As girls come up the ranks of the program regardless of which team, they are in a pipeline for selection to be on an elite Nike EYBL team made from the best girl sophomores & juniors. That is a strategy employed by many shoe sponsored Boys & Girls programs who have many affiliated younger clubs across a state or region. Its a win win for all the girls as the most talented eventually come together at the biggest stage of girls travel ball.

There are also advantages on the boys side and the non-EYBL girls teams as there are still benefits and synergy by combining programs, but the dynamics on the girls side is unique from having a high school age team that competes in the Nike Girls EYBL circuit.

Reading the last few posts it seems the references mention boys basketball teams. I feel some are missing a major impact in this new alliance or merger which is the platform the Nike Girls EYBL stage provides and the potential for fielding a more talented team representing KY. Ky Premier is a Girls Nike EYBL program and should benefit by having a larger pool of affiliated players from the combined programs. As girls come up the ranks of the program regardless of which team, they are in a pipeline for selection to be on an elite Nike EYBL team made from the best girl sophomores & juniors. That is a strategy employed by many shoe sponsored Boys & Girls programs who have many affiliated younger clubs across a state or region. Its a win win for all the girls as the most talented eventually come together at the biggest stage of girls travel ball.

There are also advantages on the boys side and the non-EYBL girls teams as there are still benefits and synergy by combining programs, but the dynamics on the girls side is unique from having a high school age team that competes in the Nike Girls EYBL circuit.

Thank you. I can see you understand the travel circuit. Hope to talk soon.

Yes you do understand unlike some programs that turn it into a cash cow that will eventually stop producing milk .. Was it Atlanta 25-27 PSB exposure event and watched two KP programs just get destroyed !!!!!

Circuit or not it can't be healthy for the girls side to go and spend that kind of money in hopes of bigger better things and just come up empty . JJ always gets so defensive because he knows at the end of the day you can not make a Prius and sell it as a Lexus . People will come and watch but once they catch on and see the writing on the wall they will always be looking for another place to go period. Over promise --- under deliver

Here is the bottom line. We do not play AAU like I have stated before. Royals do. Royals do things their way, we decided to do things another way. While we all make mistakes everyday, we have worked hard for the six years we have been playing for everyone who plays for us and for kids and parents that do not play for us. We have helped kids that play for other organizations when they needed help getting scholarships no matter how much others talk about us. I do not know the above poster so I am sure he surely has good intentions if he is trying to help kids. But on the flip side not one of Kentucky Premier Directors or coaches that I know of( maybe some of the new coaches that came over with Shining Stars do) has every talked with this guy so he for sure does not know one tittle about us. We will continue to help kids regardless of what anyone says. Kentucky Premier is not for everyone, it was never intended to be. It is for those that want to play against the very best players in America. We will be expanding more into Northern Kentucky so look for it no matter who cries. You win some, you lose some. There is no secret to being a great basketball player other than hard work, skill, and athleticism. Good luck to anyone who is trying to help kids.