American Airlines grounds entire fleet

SportsGuy41017

Traveling by air, especially internationally, continues to be a real hassle.

We disembarked a United flight at Newark from Edinburgh today at 12:30pm.

Stood in long, slow line to clear customs, then had to go to baggage claim to pick up our bags (Baggage on international flights do not go on to the final destination). We then had to go through an Agricultural checkpoint, then on to a United agent to re-check the bags to Cincinnati. Took the "train" (several transfers) to get from Terminal B to Terminal A, where we had to stand in another long line to go through security, even though we went though and cleared security in Edinburgh and had not gone into a non-secure area, and finally arrived at our gate at 2:45pm for a 3:05pm flight to CVG.

Word was circulating throughout the airport about flights being grounded. It wasn't until we arrived at CVG that I learned that it was only American who grounded their fleet.

^ Newark can be bad on entry when they are busy, IMO worse than JFK.

I have Global Entry, a great thing to have entering the country.

Heading back to Hong Kong again early next year. I'm finally going to sign up for it. I get pre TSA about 95% of my trips even though I've never paid for it.

Heading back to Hong Kong again early next year. I'm finally going to sign up for it. I get pre TSA about 95% of my trips even though I've never paid for it.

Google that, this week they stopped the no pay thing. You'll have to pay now.

Also,nor anyone interested, sign up for the Global Entry, not the Pre-check which is just for domestic flights. As Global Entry gives you both for about the same price.

Google that, this week they stopped the no pay thing. You'll have to pay now.

Also,nor anyone interested, sign up for the Global Entry, not the Pre-check which is just for domestic flights. As Global Entry gives you both for about the same price.

SHHH! I know they stopped the no pay thing but I still get it all the time. I fly 2-3 times per month. My wife even got the precheck when using my frequent flyer miles. I'm doing the global thing for sure though.

Fear of flying, and the hassle.

I've never flown internationally so I can't speak on that. But I've never really felt like flying here in the states was that big of a deal. Sure some airports are worse than others in terms of wait times, you just have to prepare for that.

I've never flown internationally so I can't speak on that. But I've never really felt like flying here in the states was that big of a deal. Sure some airports are worse than others in terms of wait times, you just have to prepare for that.

I've only flown internationally once and it really wasn't that bad. Entry back into the US probably took longer then any part of it but even then it wasn't that bad.

As far as domestic flights go, it all depends on the airport. I fly once or twice per year, normally out of Evansville or Nashville. Evansville is a ghost town so you show up 30mins before your flight most days. Nashville just seems to have their act together and even when there are a ton of people going through security it always moves quickly. New Orleans is probably one of the worst I've gone through as far as wait times. Took for ever to get through security, didn't seem organized and they didn't have enough people screening. Was just poorly setup as well.

With my negative commentary on the return hassles returning from abroad, I must say that flying from CVG via O'Hara/Chicago to Shannon, Ireland could not have gone smoother.

Short line at TSA security at CVG, checked baggage and never saw it again until in Ireland. When in O'Hara simply had to go to the next gate and that was that.

Total processing time at check-in and security outbound about 25 minutes.

Return processing time at Newark - 2 hours.