September 18, 201511 yr Maybe there has been a conscious effort to have our kids improve with regards to STEM education relative to other countries. And maybe this was an opportunity to continue to encourage this. And maybe when Mr. Smith plugs in his briefcase the first thought would have been what did you make Josh, not aren't you going to blow us up? https://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/education/k-12/educate-innovate https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/03/23/fact-sheet-president-obama-announces-over-240-million-new-stem-commitmen Two of the above statements are absolutely true. The third is my opinion, but I don't necessarily think it is much of a stretch. Or maybe it was a way for Obama to once again show his true colors. I still say that had exactly the same thing happened to Joe Smith he would have never been invited to the White House, it wouldn't have fit his agenda.
September 18, 201511 yr Obviously I think it could of been handled differently. But has everyone up in arms in this thread have you seen the pictures ? The thing in no way resembled a clock. It looked like bomb or part of bomb you would see in the movies. Wires were hanging every where. Schools are punishing kids for making a gun shape with their fingers now. With all the stories about school violence we are up in arms because the school saw something that looked like it could be a bomb and everyone is shocked the reacted ? Call me crazy but if I had a child in that school , I would want to discuss how it was mismanaged but I wouldnt be angry because a teacher was cautious.
September 18, 201511 yr Obviously I think it could of been handled differently. But has everyone up in arms in this thread have you seen the pictures ? The thing in no way resembled a clock. It looked like bomb or part of bomb you would see in the movies. Wires were hanging every where. Schools are punishing kids for making a gun shape with their fingers now. With all the stories about school violence we are up in arms because the school saw something that looked like it could be a bomb and everyone is shocked the reacted ? Call me crazy but if I had a child in that school , I would want to discuss how it was mismanaged but I wouldnt be angry because a teacher was cautious. You are correct that schools have to take precautions. Err on the side of safety. Do not hammer a kid on his last name or his skin color or his religion.
September 18, 201511 yr I don't own any clocks that look like what he made. I wouldn't be surprised if we later find out that this was done to get some attention.
September 18, 201511 yr You are correct that schools have to take precautions. Err on the side of safety. Do not hammer a kid on his last name or his skin color or his religion. I agree with that. But I also think if I was the teacher I may think it was a bomb as well. I sure as heck wouldn't think it was a clock. I can agree the situation was handled poorly but also agree that thinking it was a bomb isn't some crazy stretch.
September 18, 201511 yr They also made 100% sure that the rest of the school staff, and students were safe. You can't reasonably blame the school system at all for this.
September 18, 201511 yr If he was singled out because he was a Muslim, then he has only the ISLAMIC MUSLIM EXTREMEST for it.
September 18, 201511 yr Obama says cool clock, where does it even look like a clock. It looks like a briefcase bomb to me. Check out this briefcase clock, I mean briefcase bomb. http://www.trunews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Suitcase.jpg
September 18, 201511 yr Author You are correct that schools have to take precautions. Err on the side of safety. Do not hammer a kid on his last name or his skin color or his religion. Agreed. People keep glossing over that.
September 18, 201511 yr I don't own any clocks that look like what he made. I wouldn't be surprised if we later find out that this was done to get some attention. I think he said he was trying to make a good impression on his new science teacher.
September 18, 201511 yr Im still confused as to how being discriminated against qualifies you to be admitted to MIT, gets you an invitation to the White House and the Facebook HQ. Seems a bit excessive to me.
September 18, 201511 yr Im still confused as to how being discriminated against qualifies you to be admitted to MIT, gets you an invitation to the White House and the Facebook HQ. Seems a bit excessive to me. It's the reactionary world we're in. You have to let things breathe and evolve before jumping in. As much as I hated the confederate flag being flown above the SC statehouse I also hated the kneejerk reaction to take it down based on Dylan Roof's actions. THAT's what it took?
September 18, 201511 yr I agree, its just disheartening that the person who is supposed to be a beacon of responsibility and rationality, our president, is so willing to jump on the bandwagon so quickly. The same goes for MIT, which in my opinion has just slapped everyone who got accepted into the institution based on merit, in the face.
September 18, 201511 yr Author I'll never understand why a compassionate president is looked down upon.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.